Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470152 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7550 on: 31 December, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »
Hideous ?
What is it about it that you don't like ?
Not that much there to get worked up about. A bit too labelly (autocorrect changed this to labially !) ?

Those rims.  Ewwwww!  I suppose the labels turn into a white blur when one is moving, but a Gentleman's rims should have a small silver label on them, opposite the valve hole to help keep things balanced ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7551 on: 31 December, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »
Hideous ?
What is it about it that you don't like ?
Not that much there to get worked up about. A bit too labelly (autocorrect changed this to labially !) ?

Brake levers, bars, stem, pointing upwards.
Sloping top tube.
Saddle too far out of seat tube.
Rim labels, of course.
All black tyres.
Brake levers higher than the bars.

Which are all basically the modern bike set up!
[/quote]

Yeah, apart from the all-back tyres which I thought are a bit retro, I'm not keen on any of these aspects either, but this bike seems a fairly mild example of any of these, and the black frame is quite nice.

Even Open-pro rims come with more than a small silver sticker these days.

« Reply #7552 on: 31 December, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »
I'm not keen on those rims with that frame, either (I don't mind rims with decals on, but they just look a bit out of place on a nice steel bike). And the saddle and bar tape don't match. ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7553 on: 31 December, 2014, 03:37:34 pm »
Deary me!  I think its a smashing bike Gene, glad it's working for you.  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7554 on: 31 December, 2014, 04:01:17 pm »
perfectly decent bike build, i like that mudguard stays are trimmed to the correct length, shifters point ever so slightly up which improves comfort, the proportions are correct and the bike is highly practical and functional (i wish i could say this about many other bikes on this thread). well done.

J.Y.Kelly

• Shopping trolley, helmet and umbrella in one.
« Reply #7555 on: 31 December, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »
It's all a matter of taste.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #7556 on: 31 December, 2014, 04:46:50 pm »
Deary me!  I think its a smashing bike Gene, glad it's working for you.  :thumbsup:

+1 I think it looks great and there is a nice flat section to the hoods. Wish I could build that neatly.

« Reply #7557 on: 31 December, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »
If you don't want it now it's been knocked down by the judging panel Wayne, I'll have it ;D

After the rims have been de-stickered and a black saddle has been fitted :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #7558 on: 31 December, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »
Thanks all for the abuse  :)

The reason for the brown saddle is that I wanted to try the Charge Knife for a change but the only one I could find was brown on ebay, did want to pay top price as it might be that I do not like it.

Yes in time I will de-sticker the rims plus I have matching bar tape on order but it is all a question of time, I just wanted to get it built.

Some better pictures from today.

« Reply #7559 on: 31 December, 2014, 07:38:50 pm »
There's a licorice allsort that looks like that - I like licorice allsorts!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7560 on: 01 January, 2015, 02:25:20 am »
Something I strive for when building is to achieve a flat transition from bars to hoods. Anyone who has ever been out on a bike in my company knows that I struggle ALL THE TIME for hand comfort often losing the feeling in both hands in as little as a couple of miles.

For all the trads who are knocking the setup, it's modern. That's the point. There are blokes around here - admittedly getting fewer year on year - I see regularly who can barely raise their heads to see where they're going. Riding 21" steel frames with the saddle about 7 feet above the bars and the brake levers as far forward as they'll go so they have to ride the hooks to reach the brakes. Looking like PBP or RAAM riders who got lost after about 3 days.

Peter knows what I mean . . .

Wayne. It's YOUR bike. I'm ever so glad you took it off sale and built it. It's a beautiful, modern, steel bicycle and there aren't that many around.

ETA Note to self: Don't post when you're pissed . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7561 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:55:56 am »
Riding 21" steel frames with the seat about 7 feet above the saddle

I can see that this would look rather peculiar ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7562 on: 01 January, 2015, 10:55:27 am »
Wayne. It's YOUR bike. I'm ever so glad you took it off sale and built it. It's a beautiful, modern, steel bicycle and there aren't that many around.

Thanks John  :)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7563 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:24:58 am »
I guess that once you no longer need the sides of the rim for stopping, the temptation to use them as a bill board can't be over-ridden. Aside from that I can't see any thing IO don't like about the bike.

I'm guessing from the location of the rear calliper, its a 2012 model. Much nicer forks than the 2013 CdF.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7564 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:38:52 am »
I like it too!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7565 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
Me three.

I think it will look better with the brown bar tape (I've found the Deda Leatherette stuff a pretty good match to my Brown Spoon), and personally I'd have different bottle cages (personal preference rather than anything useful), but I think that looks nice :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #7566 on: 01 January, 2015, 02:41:44 pm »
I like it, it's a one stop shop - you could do anything on that.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7567 on: 01 January, 2015, 03:46:39 pm »
Gene, that bike looks great to me - even the wheel stickers (I'm a sucker for Mavic's labelling). I think a black saddle would look better than brown bar tape, but hey. I hope it's as good to ride as it looks.

« Reply #7568 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:41:57 pm »
Spot the difference  ;D

« Reply #7569 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »
And all was well....  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7570 on: 01 January, 2015, 07:49:56 pm »
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7571 on: 01 January, 2015, 08:45:16 pm »
Ooh, I like that.  How does she ride?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7572 on: 01 January, 2015, 11:58:27 pm »
Ooh, I like that.  How does she ride?

Very nice, really pleased with it.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7573 on: 02 January, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »

some of you may remember ''Jess''

that succumbed to this,

and was partially  re-incarnated into Blodwyn, but unfortunately ''Blodwyn'' is a bit of a tart, and doesn't like getting too dirty this time of year, so.............................

new bottom bracket shell grafted in, and a rattle can job over, with some Cinelli bar tape to spruce it up a bit. Sorry its wet and covered in crud.

Et Voila! one winter hack named ''Jess'', complete with new 20mm shorter stem, although now both bikes are set up identical, to within +/- 2mm, but Jess has a loooong tt wihich is prob why I was never really comfy on it, but now, its the same as Blodwyn, so therefore comfy. Incedentally now the new BB shell has been brazed in ''heavy duty stylee'' the frame is much stiffer.

Cost of repair...... £110 including the masked off rattle can finish ( not that special close up btw, but was more or less a favour) . Jess was re assembled with original wheels (12 years old), mudguards, rings and block off Blodders, (which has just had new rings and block and chain)and s/h cheap bits to match, so both bikes have same gears, saddles, bars, tyres, all on a tightarse budget. many thanks to those who supplied bits.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7574 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:01:00 pm »

are those cantis old pull or new pull? actually, do they make cantis in "new pull"?..