Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470159 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #9200 on: 23 August, 2022, 12:56:44 pm »
For an instant I thought you'd ridden LEL on that. But people have done it on an Eliptigo, so why not?  :o
There were several Bromptons, a Moulton, a couple of mini-bikes and a fatbike (and an Elipitigo!) this year as well as the usual exotica (a Milan and an upright trike; there were two velomobiles IIRC, I might have a photo of the second somewhere).
No I was just a humble volunteer. I am inclined to think that a halfway decent audaxer could have got round with my folder (with decent tyres, rather than the rubbish Kendas I put back on to deal with crap english roads) but I am far off that level!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #9201 on: 24 September, 2022, 08:01:22 pm »
Finally got my Sonder Santiago delivered on Wednesday  :thumbsup:
Currently set up with a Super C SQR and an old front rack from the shed.
Have done some local rides and a couple of days commuting, it handles as well on tracks and bridleways as it does on road coming with larger tyres.

20220923_165545 by Rich Forrest, on Flickr

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9202 on: 24 September, 2022, 10:40:36 pm »
Nice :thumbsup:

Front rack look great on that
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9203 on: 25 September, 2022, 10:42:00 pm »
Blackburn Low rider?  I have one in the shed.   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #9204 on: 26 September, 2022, 12:39:40 am »

Yes, think it came on Dawns Dawes before we changed it for a different type.
Looking for a Blackburn outpost but nowhere have any at the minute.

« Reply #9205 on: 01 October, 2022, 08:17:07 pm »

Yes, think it came on Dawns Dawes before we changed it for a different type.
Looking for a Blackburn outpost but nowhere have any at the minute.

They fit on those forks much better than mine are going to fit on the bike that I'm just building up!

« Reply #9206 on: 18 October, 2022, 05:07:16 pm »

Mixture of a frame for 700c, forks for 26" (sold as suspension compensated, which was a lie) and 650b wheels. I had a quick ride to fetch the bread last w-e and it rides very nicely. Saturday was with a much flatter stem but the intended one (on the photos) came on saturday afternoon and used on sunday. Looking forward to some longer rides.

Once more those Blackburn lo-loaders, with a bit of custom bracing bent up. It's not completely symetrical and when I asked my mate Christian about him bending me one a bit better he was rather keener on making me a complete set of custom lo-loaders in stainless so now I am not sure how long the Blackburns will be there. The mudguards might be changed at the same time.

The frame is one of these: https://www.cyclebasket.com/m4b0s722p3850/Nelson_J128_Road_Audax_Frame_-_Unpainted. I didn't do such a good job of the topcoat but the primer's good (all rattlecan, sorry, but two pack topcoat - which seems a bit brittle to me).

« Reply #9207 on: 06 November, 2022, 08:03:22 am »

This bike started life as pretty standard 725 Genesis Equilibrium and enjoyed five years or so in that guise with a few tweaks here and there before an overhaul late last year. The original finish was stripped and it was powder coated locally in bronze, along with a Thorn Audax fork to give a bit of flexibility over the original carbon one. After some bargain hunting I pieced together a pretty cheap Campagnolo Potenza drivetrain before slapping on a slightly more bling Chorus chainset with a more Audax-friendly 48/32 combo. Contact points are all pretty standard stuff, but overall I’m pretty pleased with it.

I have only just started getting back out after an injury and so far I’m really enjoying this bike’s latest iteration. Plenty of enjoyable miles to come, I’m sure.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9208 on: 06 November, 2022, 08:52:57 am »
The eBrute waiting for me to finish my coffee.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9209 on: 08 November, 2022, 11:20:29 pm »
Bluemels on the RRS for the season.  Was thinking 'had them on before so it'll be an easy job this time' - not quite. ;)  Trimmed the mg nose in the end - was too long anyway.   

Ready for a ride tomorrow - hopefully.

PXL_RRSmg by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #9210 on: 09 November, 2022, 12:24:43 pm »
My 1989 Dawes Galaxy touring bike, seen last Sunday on Naburn Swing Bridge below "The Fisher of Dreams" and in the other photo, in full camping mode on Stamford Bridge viaduct on the way to Scarborough Festival of Cycling last July.

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #9211 on: 14 November, 2022, 05:45:00 pm »
New hoods for my Campagnolo Super Record brakes.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9212 on: 27 November, 2022, 08:21:24 am »

This bike started life as pretty standard 725 Genesis Equilibrium and enjoyed five years or so in that guise with a few tweaks here and there before an overhaul late last year. The original finish was stripped and it was powder coated locally in bronze, along with a Thorn Audax fork to give a bit of flexibility over the original carbon one. After some bargain hunting I pieced together a pretty cheap Campagnolo Potenza drivetrain before slapping on a slightly more bling Chorus chainset with a more Audax-friendly 48/32 combo. Contact points are all pretty standard stuff, but overall I’m pretty pleased with it.

I have only just started getting back out after an injury and so far I’m really enjoying this bike’s latest iteration. Plenty of enjoyable miles to come, I’m sure.

Does it handle ok with the Spa fork? I was thinking of doing the same to my 725 Equilibrium. Ditch the carbon forks and have the option for front panniers.

« Reply #9213 on: 02 December, 2022, 04:47:09 pm »

This bike started life as pretty standard 725 Genesis Equilibrium and enjoyed five years or so in that guise with a few tweaks here and there before an overhaul late last year. The original finish was stripped and it was powder coated locally in bronze, along with a Thorn Audax fork to give a bit of flexibility over the original carbon one. After some bargain hunting I pieced together a pretty cheap Campagnolo Potenza drivetrain before slapping on a slightly more bling Chorus chainset with a more Audax-friendly 48/32 combo. Contact points are all pretty standard stuff, but

Does it handle ok with the Spa fork? I was thinking of doing the same to my 725 Equilibrium. Ditch the carbon forks and have the option for front panniers.

I've got a steel genesis fork in my shed if you are interested, iirc it's for disc or possibly calipers but doesn't have bosses for v's

Send me a message if you are

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9214 on: 03 December, 2022, 09:36:05 am »

Bit OT, but intrigued by the wooden board down by the front wheel……….
Light switch
Mirror,
Door chain
Door handle
Clock face
Number 1 ???

Do tell.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9215 on: 10 December, 2022, 07:24:54 pm »
IMG_0190 by mark tilley, on Flickr

A 'Chiily' 50km ride today, on Grunhilda.

« Reply #9216 on: 15 January, 2023, 11:20:56 am »
Here's mine little one...  It's an old Voodoo Wazoo frame, with Kelly fork, both custom powder coated by a previous owner (I like the minty free color).  I bought it from here. Mostly 105 shifty bits, custom Velocity A23 wheelset, Brooks Swift saddle, Speci carbon seat post, Salsa Bell Lap bars.  I love how this bike rides, eats up dirt roads for fun!

« Reply #9217 on: 16 January, 2023, 10:00:36 am »
The eBrute waiting for me to finish my coffee.

Is that your battery in the seat tube bottle-carrier? If it is, be warned to inspect the carrier regularly; some of our riders with batteries there have suffered broken carriers with weight and vibration and now just about all of them have a cord round the battery and attached to the top tube to take the strain.

Who makes your kit? It looks a bit like an Annad hub but there are several out there and you claim 8kg penalty where most of ours claim 4-5kg (or is one with the battery and one without)?

« Reply #9218 on: 16 January, 2023, 07:25:30 pm »
Not mine - any of you that have met me will recognise that that seat tube is far to short and neat for my frame - but one I built up for my daughter's boyfriend. That in itself is a bit of a shock - a boyfriend, she must be growing up...

Anyhows, she asked me if I'd build him a bike as they're both 'poor students' and I built her one a few years ago that she still fits and rides and this is the result. I picxed up a second hand Holdsworth Competition frameset and added one of Wiggle's £299 105 groups, plus some wheels I built from 'bits' and saddle, bar and stem from the shed.

Whatever you make of PX, the frame is very nicely made out of Columbus Spirit. This one is pretty well like new. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh it, but I know that a large weighs around 1880g. This is a small - 51cm I think - and the saddle will probably need to go down another couple of cms before he rides it. Roll on their next holiday.

« Reply #9219 on: 12 February, 2023, 10:24:54 am »

Sardar by Luke Hayes, on Flickr

Don't ask.

« Reply #9220 on: 22 February, 2023, 11:03:57 pm »

Like that -  lovely bars

« Reply #9221 on: 21 March, 2023, 08:34:26 am »
I wanted a 'fast' bike to try and keep up with Her, it hasn't worked but am loving trying.. Aluminium Caad13 with bulbous,  ugly 105 hydraulic brakes. It feels awesome, much more lively than a similar priced carbon trek frame I tried and much more comfy than a friends caad10.

cleaned it and fitted new bar tape and tyres to it the other day so took a photo, the bar tape was chosen by the 15 year old and the 30mm tyres an absolute pig to get fitted properly with one side that kept getting stuck in the centre of the rim, fairy liquid and swearing helped.

(I know the bricks aren't laid properly, it's bugged me since I moved in. I asked the builder and apparently they're not structural, but still.....)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #9222 on: 21 March, 2023, 03:34:18 pm »
I bloody love Cannondales

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9223 on: 03 April, 2023, 05:26:37 pm »
The skunkworks project is done.  It came in under the 10kg target with pedals (9.7kg without).

20230403_161039 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161057 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161126 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161114 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161122 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161050 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161144 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9224 on: 03 April, 2023, 08:39:23 pm »
The skunkworks project is done.  It came in under the 10kg target with pedals (9.7kg without).

Classy job - I have a similar f-frame set up, although not as high quality as this.  Lovely bike to ride.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.