Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470317 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3400 on: 30 June, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »
One of these bikes is not like the other...

but I love riding both ;)

Good looking bikes you've got there. I have four bikes, each of which is different from the others and I love riding each one for different reasons too.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3401 on: 30 June, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »
???
Does this mean you've overcome your Mercian-mania?
Can you assure the readership that it's not really a Mercian underneath a ti coloured paintjob and van Nic transfers.  :demon:

Oh no, not at all - I still have an option on a 1956 Mercian in original spec that's currently in a garage in Glasgow ;D This, however is a genuine Van Nic Ti  :-* that I am unable to ride at the moment due to injury :'(

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3402 on: 01 July, 2010, 11:40:20 am »
Good looking bikes you've got there. I have four bikes, each of which is different from the others and I love riding each one for different reasons too.

Variety is great.  If I were richer, I'd love to add a nice stately dutch-style bike, something fit for pootling around central London in a suit.  Something like the Velorbis Churchill Baloon.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3403 on: 01 July, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »
^^^In my humble opinion a hardtail MTB with all the mods you have makes an extremely versatile bike.  I wouldn't be without mine.

corshamjim

« Reply #3404 on: 01 July, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »
Variety is great.  If I were richer, I'd love to add a nice stately dutch-style bike, something fit for pootling around central London in a suit.  Something like the Velorbis Churchill Baloon.

I need to go the other way - I already have a laid-back bike, the Pashley Paramount and would love to get something a bit nimble for day rides.  I'm waiting a. to save up some money (could be a while) and b. for the Alfine 11-speed hub to make it on to a good selection of production bikes.

My 2nd bike is a Dahon D7 folder, which I hated at first but am getting to quite like now.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #3405 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:19:43 pm »
Same bike as before, now gently tweaked for commuting and general pootling. Changing the saddle, grips and tyres has transformed it on the road, and it's still ok on the tow paths/unmetalled stuff;

I've changed the tyres on mine to road tyres from knobblies and it has improved it no end, it's so much more comfortable on road and gravel paths now  :thumbsup:

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3406 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:52:01 pm »

In that case I think you would like the Rivendell on        EcoVelo                   I think it's gorgeous.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3407 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:21:50 am »

My New Bike.  :thumbsup:
n+ 0.1  ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3408 on: 02 July, 2010, 06:44:08 am »
Kickstand, chainguard, wooden 'fenders', dynohub and rack. Get that on EcoVelo and watch them swoon!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3409 on: 02 July, 2010, 09:13:36 am »
Chain's a bit um...er...well...
Getting there...

« Reply #3410 on: 02 July, 2010, 10:01:08 am »
Very cool Basil.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3411 on: 02 July, 2010, 10:10:24 am »
Trailer-bike tower and coffee provider, all rolled into one. At the end of a long hard day.

Rust never sleeps

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3412 on: 02 July, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
Here we go then, first is my '92 Orange P7 in its winter weekend/winter hack guise, in the summer it gets stripped to m/bike avec les nobblies, tout suite![img][/img] and [img][/img] Its very comfortable, onza bar ends, XT thumbshifters, maddison g12 'old' seat (£3 at bootfair 18 years ago), still my most comfortable seat, after my now comfy Brooks. B17 special tyres are Specs Armodillos, front one over 10 years old, back one 2 years old, Only punctures EVER were a masonary nail in an electric  cable clip, on 2 valve seats given up the ghost. Its got 'EXCESSIVE' crankshaft endfloat, but the pedals still go round, and the Rock Shox are now a bit baggy in the fore and aft dept. It has got some rather Natty 'L' shaped brake levers to allow their use when 'on the hooks of the bar ends'. and the simple bracket allows use of mudguard on the Rockshox.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3413 on: 02 July, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
Secondly is JESS, as in Postman pat's cat /bike
[/img]

This is my Pearson Dayrider C.2003. I was on the look out for a good bike ie £1k + and went to the show at .. oh wats it called, in Lon..... islington, thank you. Was looking at  Roberts, Thorn, Condor,etc, The Roberts stand was very busy, and the prices were very busy too, the Condor didn't appeal to me with its eliptical downtube, looked like a £99 bike, Thorn , well i got a glimpse, of maybe 2 bikes over peoples heads, and thought this is silly, I'll come back. Walked around upstairs and a different world, much more relaxed, Saw the Hewitts, them came to the Pearson stand, and well. kinda thought immediately thats the one for me, Understated in Red + black, What colour  would you like we can do..... 'THAT ONE  PLEASE' . Its now got the Bi7 Special, 28mm spec armodillas, schmit hub 32 spoke, Chrina rim( Spa cycles) 36 hole rear (ditto), unused Ergo's as I've bypassed them and use some old 80's campag friction levers, much prefer these, as theres less frenetic shifting of gears, just plain old honking, Audax clear map thing, Solidlights front light, A old steel rack c80's BUT its lighter than my alloy ones! Wellgo pedals, Zefal HP pump. And its called Jess, :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3414 on: 02 July, 2010, 05:55:39 pm »
opps here it is.[/img]

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3415 on: 02 July, 2010, 05:57:47 pm »
why has it done that then ::-)g]

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3416 on: 02 July, 2010, 05:59:50 pm »
[/img]

« Reply #3417 on: 02 July, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

You have, at least in that post, got 2 sets of img tags per photo. Possibly due to pasting in a link that already has IMG tags, then adding more. A minor issue really - you've more or less got it licked.

You had this added to the front of the link code: [img]http:// and an extra [/img] at the end.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3418 on: 02 July, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »
Ta muchely, as I said elsewhere it a case of 'Fred Dibnah does T'internet'  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3419 on: 02 July, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »
Two very decent bikes. I like the set-up on the Pearson - clearly not the bicycle of the casual cyclist  :)

« Reply #3420 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:37:08 pm »

Trip to the park with our new to us Chariot Cougar 2.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3421 on: 04 July, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »
Say there Dr,  see you prefer your brooks 'nose up' much more comfy that way i feel. :thumbsup:

PH

« Reply #3422 on: 04 July, 2010, 02:53:48 pm »
My Planet X Ti Sportive.  No longer with the Enigma Ti forks, but with added mudguards, carradice and tiny granny ring, so slowly becoming a lighter version of my other bikes.

« Reply #3423 on: 04 July, 2010, 06:50:08 pm »
Say there Dr,  see you prefer your brooks 'nose up' much more comfy that way i feel. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's as flat as I can cope with. I fall into the sit in, rather than sit on category.

Gratutious shot showing the new bar tape I put on this afternoon. I am loving the colour, but I had my neighbour taking the mickey before I finished the first side. First time I've done bar tape, and I am pretty pleased with myself.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3424 on: 04 July, 2010, 07:00:07 pm »
Its funny really, my Pearson was set up just like yours Dr. very high seat post, flip-flopped the stem, couldn't really say i was ever comfy, did lots of 200's but always felt 'wrong'. then I got all technical, with measurements an all, with these cycling fit websites, and I ended up dropping my seatpost an enormous ammount, It was like yours but take a look at it now< I also flopped the stem back so its flat but now as high as poss. before I used the 'hoods most of the time', now I'm soooo comfy, as I sit lower down, and further back, and now use the straight tops most of the time but can still easily reach the hoods.  climbs much better too. Just dont feel cramped any more. Personal comfort is a really BIG subject. When I altered mine to the 'randoneur' fit it felt like a minuture circus bike for a while, then I lifted my seat about 6mm and all was well. :thumbsup: