Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 77357 times)

Re: A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #125 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:42:36 pm »
What about 'Sheila'?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #126 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:47:30 pm »

Hello Daaaaaaave!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

simonp

« Reply #127 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »
Oh FFS beaten to it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #128 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »
My work here is done :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #129 on: 24 April, 2015, 11:57:39 pm »
Latest graphs on jo's analysis thread are worth looking at - the "time of day" chart for Miles is bonkers!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #130 on: 25 April, 2015, 12:37:29 am »
:)

He's over 50 so he was named well before Australia went metric.  Oddly though, I don't think i ever met a Miles in australia, but it's a pretty common name in UK.  Actually, most men his age in Australia are called David.
I wasn't going to comment but here goes.... "Most men his age in Australia are called David" is about as stupid and misleading a comment as saying kangaroos hop down the streets. C'mon, you don't believe that, do you? That's like saying all Poms have kippers for breakfast.
Andrew (whose middle name is David)

« Reply #131 on: 25 April, 2015, 12:40:26 am »
Latest graphs on jo's analysis thread are worth looking at - the "time of day" chart for Miles is bonkers!
Yes, I've been checking his spot tracker at odd hours of the night.... The years of night shift seem to have made Miles immune to circadian rhythms!
Andrew (otherwise known as David)

« Reply #132 on: 25 April, 2015, 12:41:45 am »
"Most men his age in Australia are called David" is about as stupid and misleading a comment as saying kangaroos hop down the streets.

(NB that jefmcg *is* Australian. I think she may have been making a FUNNY. See also her "David, meet David, David and David" anecdote.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #133 on: 25 April, 2015, 06:06:22 am »
It is also mostly correct. I am a middle-aged Aussie Dave and it was the most common boy's name through my school years.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #134 on: 25 April, 2015, 07:10:20 am »
My old flat mate spent a year in London.  He joined Dartford (or was it Deptford) Morris dancing club* and was known as Aussie Dave #2.

**yes, I shared a flat with a Morris dancer.  It's a part of my life that I try to forget.

« Reply #135 on: 25 April, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
It is also mostly correct. I am a middle-aged Aussie Dave and it was the most common boy's name through my school years.

I can offer further evidence...I am a middle-aged pom and I am not called David. Hope that helps.

« Reply #136 on: 25 April, 2015, 07:43:42 pm »
I've got 190 blokes on my family tree with my surname, and only ONE is a David. Born 1960.

Amongst them are
32 Thomas, 9 Richard and 8 Henry.

So an ancestor of mine could be any Tom, Dick or Harry.

« Reply #137 on: 25 April, 2015, 10:50:15 pm »
Miles' activity pattern (see visualising thread) seems utterly unsustainable to me, does he actually sleep? That much disruption to your body rhythms is surely going to pay havoc with the body eventually? I'm no expert and I don't know Miles but it does look a bit bonkers.

« Reply #138 on: 25 April, 2015, 10:59:47 pm »
Miles' activity pattern (see visualising thread) seems utterly unsustainable to me, does he actually sleep? That much disruption to your body rhythms is surely going to pay havoc with the body eventually? I'm no expert and I don't know Miles but it does look a bit bonkers.

Anyone who works shifts for many years doesn't have a body rhtyhm anymore. So he/she can ride whenever it's needed, not when your bodyclock tells you to do so.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #139 on: 28 April, 2015, 12:22:51 pm »

Anyone who works shifts for many years doesn't have a body rhtyhm anymore. So he/she can ride whenever it's needed, not when your bodyclock tells you to do so.

12 minutes ago

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #140 on: 28 April, 2015, 12:24:42 pm »
He looks pretty knackered in that photo.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #141 on: 28 April, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »
Good to see him modelling himself after a Gibbontime tomato.

« Reply #142 on: 28 April, 2015, 04:22:22 pm »

12 minutes ago

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGgn5nwYtj0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tGgn5nwYtj0&rel=1</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGgn5nwYtj0

« Reply #143 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:10:51 am »
Is Miles still haemorrhaging ridden miles  or finding the challenge wearying?  He started out consistently hitting over 200mpd but for the last week or so any 200+ days are followed by a day of little over 100.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #144 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:04:42 pm »
I stopped following him on Strava as he keeps posting dozens of short rides or duff activities of just a few metres. It's not that technically challenging to stop and start a Garmin and upload rides.

« Reply #145 on: 13 May, 2015, 08:55:08 am »
I stopped following him on Strava as he keeps posting dozens of short rides or duff activities of just a few metres. It's not that technically challenging to stop and start a Garmin and upload rides.

He's clearly still struggling.

(and a couple of sarcastic kudos-givers aren't helping!)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #146 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:05:25 am »
His Garmin Connect is much cleaner.

Things went from bad to worse on the 8th when he got a 2nd Garmin, at a guess he's switching bikes and now leaves one Garmin on each.  The first problem is that his bike fettler keeps switching the Garmin on on his parked bike, this is creating short track miles away from Miles true location.  These appear on Strava and hence UMCA.  Second problem is other people joining Miles on a ride and then submitting the track to Miles Stava account (and hence UMCA).

Neither of these problems affect his Garmin account.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #147 on: 13 May, 2015, 02:14:51 pm »
Someone on here offered to help out his support crew - did anything come of that?

It would be a real shame if his efforts come to naught. As far as I can tell from the hamr site, his recorded miles average at only 168 per day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #148 on: 15 May, 2015, 10:19:23 am »
He looks pretty knackered in that photo.

He actually looks Radioactive

« Reply #149 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:51:18 am »
There's an interview with him here:
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/05/miles-and-miles-what-it-takes-to-attempt-the-year-record/

A good read, gives an idea of what his challenge is all about.  Also confirms that Steve was his motivation in attempting the challenge which I wasn't aware of.  On the face of it, he does seem to have the edge on media skilz...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...