Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 896520 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #5125 on: 13 December, 2021, 04:26:11 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/13/dyson-tells-many-of-uk-staff-to-work-in-office-even-after-plan-b-guidance-change

Dyson sucks.

I don’t much like the guy, but I this case I think he has (IMO natch) a point.  Remote R&D isn’t going to work. Many organisations are less effective when people work from home, it takes longer to do simple things, or to get them done - we’ve found that out ourselves.

I do think there are some benefits to working in the same place - that said, absolutism is off-putting and there are ways to do these things successfully remotely (and most businesses are learning this, and tbh, given the international nature of business these days, you are missing out if you are reliant on co-location).

(That said, a three hours Neo4j Bloom virtual workshop has just given me a headache.)

I guess I look at it (as most do) through the prism of my industry, which is design, manufacture and adaptation of physical equipment (X-Ray CT systems). I don’t feel that I can quite so readily discuss a potential design solution remotely, as opposed to sitting down with the designer in front of his screen. And trying to round up parts to get packed and shipped is much easier in person. But certainly our buyers, software developers and finance teams worked well from home the last time around. Remote IT support was less successful, but it was ever thus.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5126 on: 13 December, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/fury-millionaire-minister-nadhim-zahawis-25674659
The Zahawi family getting group membership for the Super-Twat club.

"At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge, ... it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
Are there no prisons?
Plenty of prisons...
And the Union workhouses?  Are they still in operation?"

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5127 on: 13 December, 2021, 04:35:40 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/dec/13/dyson-tells-many-of-uk-staff-to-work-in-office-even-after-plan-b-guidance-change

Dyson sucks.

I don’t much like the guy, but I this case I think he has (IMO natch) a point.  Remote R&D isn’t going to work. Many organisations are less effective when people work from home, it takes longer to do simple things, or to get them done - we’ve found that out ourselves.
I can assure Mr Dyson that remote R&D does work - I've been doing it since before the beginning of lockdown. I've set up my own personal office/optics lab in a spare bedroom and the en-suite is now a chemistry lab. Some things take a bit longer, some things take less time as it's easier to clear some uninterrupted time for experiments.

To be honest it is quite useful to go in the main office occasionally, usually once or maybe twice a week, but a lot of R&D is analysing results, data processing and documentation, and these can be done just as well WFH.

« Reply #5128 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:19:11 pm »

I can assure Mr Dyson that remote R&D does work - I've been doing it since before the beginning of lockdown. I've set up my own personal office/optics lab in a spare bedroom and the en-suite is now a chemistry lab. Some things take a bit longer, some things take less time as it's easier to clear some uninterrupted time for experiments.

« Reply #5129 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:21:07 pm »
It has been clear to me since day 1 that some things work well at home, some do not.  Dyson's almost blanket edict shows that he is not really bothered but like all distrusting autocrats doesn't feel in control and more importantly, doesn't trust his employees.  I had an arse of a boss like that once.

Perhaps he should try some empowerment and trust over dogmatic autocracy.  He might be surprised if he looks upon it with an open mind ...

« Reply #5130 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:31:45 pm »

I must admit that the few times I have needed to be dressed up like that I have gone into work. But I did feel quite safe from Covid.

ian

« Reply #5131 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:52:50 pm »

Dyson sucks.

I do think there are some benefits to working in the same place - that said, absolutism is off-putting and there are ways to do these things successfully remotely (and most businesses are learning this, and tbh, given the international nature of business these days, you are missing out if you are reliant on co-location).

(That said, a three hours Neo4j Bloom virtual workshop has just given me a headache.)

I guess I look at it (as most do) through the prism of my industry, which is design, manufacture and adaptation of physical equipment (X-Ray CT systems). I don’t feel that I can quite so readily discuss a potential design solution remotely, as opposed to sitting down with the designer in front of his screen. And trying to round up parts to get packed and shipped is much easier in person. But certainly our buyers, software developers and finance teams worked well from home the last time around. Remote IT support was less successful, but it was ever thus.

I does require a different way of thinking and doing – I do miss getting together for meetings and things and I do find things more creative that way (in part because everyone is focused on the task at hand rather than checking their email, buying a new pair of shoes etc.) and you also get the cues of body language. I've become a camera Hitler, mostly because knowing they might be watched drags a bit of attention back to proceedings. Plus I always make people speak, in part for attentivity, also because some people spend their lives getting talked over on calls, and they often have valuable opinions just not the confidence to bulldoze them through. Or they're just polite. They're the sort of adjustments to be made, I suspect businesses that just think they can continue as before are will struggle.

As in most things there's a balance, our business has gone with the hybrid approach of allowing people to work from wherever they're most comfortable and mix and match between the two. My wife's, on the other hand, are still pushing hard on some compulsory office attendance, the effect of which is people are leaving.

This all said, if your job includes nuclear reactors, seek permission before taking fissile material home.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5132 on: 13 December, 2021, 06:16:21 pm »
That last statement worries me a little, you see our next door neighbour is a nuclear plumber1 at Sizewell and he’s been working at home a fair amount. I do hope he’s working remotely and not bringing his work home with him  :o

1. That is, he’s an engineer who works on the cooling system.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5133 on: 13 December, 2021, 06:33:48 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5134 on: 13 December, 2021, 06:54:18 pm »
The US does not extradite it’s citizens. It’s just one of those things they don’t do. They expect everyone else to give up their citizens when they demand it for process of ‘justice’, and they’ll give up none US citizens to other countries. Thus they claim to have extradition agreements in place with ,ost none US counties.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5135 on: 13 December, 2021, 07:14:35 pm »
I still say we should do a deal involving Prince Andrew :demon:

Edit: casual scrutiny of Wikinaccurate shows a very very small number of USAnians extradited to Abroad, but not for anything more trivial than murder, optionally involving being a Nazi camp guard.  Astonishingly, one William “Liam” Quinn was even extradited to BRITAIN in 1988 for the murder of a police officer in London in 1975.

« Reply #5136 on: 13 December, 2021, 07:16:36 pm »
Oh.

I was hoping maybe that's what this was.

ian

« Reply #5137 on: 13 December, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »
The US does not extradite it’s citizens. It’s just one of those things they don’t do. They expect everyone else to give up their citizens when they demand it for process of ‘justice’, and they’ll give up none US citizens to other countries. Thus they claim to have extradition agreements in place with ,ost none US counties.

This is completely untrue, the US can and does extradite its citizens under whatever treaty terms or grounds that convince a US court.

« Reply #5138 on: 14 December, 2021, 10:03:05 pm »
Nick Freeman, lawyer to the rich and powerful who need driving issues so ring. He has got 10k signatures for cyclists and scooters to be regulated, licensed, policed etc. This number means Parliament has to respond.

« Reply #5139 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:06:53 am »
It will get laughed out.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5140 on: 15 December, 2021, 10:44:43 am »
Shaun Bailey, onetime candidate for Mayor of That London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59657361

The photo is being widely parodied.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5141 on: 15 December, 2021, 10:52:57 am »
Surely now the MET must both investigate and fine all those in the picture as a matter of course?

Ah yes, tories and the MET: two fuckclusters of mega super twats!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5142 on: 15 December, 2021, 11:01:44 am »
Dame Dick keeps her job for a reason.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #5143 on: 15 December, 2021, 11:23:58 am »
It's a challenging thought experiment to contemplate exactly what Cressida Dick would need to do in order to lose her job.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5144 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:57:37 pm »
It's a challenging thought experiment to contemplate exactly what Cressida Dick would need to do in order to lose her job.
i suspect allowing a team to investigate the Christmas parties impromptu work meetings would be a good start.

« Reply #5145 on: 15 December, 2021, 02:49:17 pm »
I thought there was a national police policy of no retrospective covid fixed penalties - so unless you were caught at the time (and failed to respond to a warning) you got away with it.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/02/jeremy-corbyn-wont-be-fined-for-breaking-rule-of-six-at-dinner-party-13360046/

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5146 on: 15 December, 2021, 06:45:57 pm »
Shaun Bailey, onetime candidate for Mayor of That London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59657361

The photo is being widely parodied.

Even the fantastically charismatic and generally wonderful Grant Shapps has come out against the S-T Bailey.  “That scene is absolutely unacceptable” said Michael Green, while Sebastian Fox added that it “was not authorised by the Conservative Party”.  Chuck Champion was unavailable for comment.  Sadiq Khan says he ought to get his sorry arse out of the London Assembly as has, if I heard it right, Tory MP Stephen “The Right” Hammond.

Last edited by contribsx, 2021-12-15 18:45

« Reply #5147 on: 15 December, 2021, 07:07:03 pm »
The judge who sentenced Katie Price to a suspended jail term after she admitted drink and drug driving whilst disqualified (for the 5th time), oh and added a 6th disqualification and £213 costs to add to the £7 grand she already owes the court. “You’re lucky not to be going to jail” he told the overprivileged unemployed white woman. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5148 on: 15 December, 2021, 10:07:13 pm »
I was somewhat shocked yet entirely unsurprised. Possibly if she ran over the judge, but short of that, she walks every single time.

At what point does the judge consider it's not working. Other than when she runs him over, of course.

« Reply #5149 on: 15 December, 2021, 10:51:31 pm »
The judge who sentenced Katie Price to a suspended jail term after she admitted drink and drug driving whilst disqualified (for the 5th time), oh and added a 6th disqualification and £213 costs to add to the £7 grand she already owes the court. “You’re lucky not to be going to jail” he told the overprivileged unemployed white orange woman. 
FTFY.
Rust never sleeps