Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63894 times)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
In the days following the sudden death of Mike Hall, some of Mike's friends in the audax community felt the need to do something to remember him by.  Having talked it over, and ideas shared with Mike's close family and friends, it was agreed that a 2018 calander event would be planned. This ride should be in the spirit of Mike.

Mike often rode 400km days on his bikepacking races, was keen to incorporate a bit of gravel into his Welsh road rides and was certainly not shy of hills. So with that in mind we set out to plan 'a good 400km day out' with 10,000m of ascent. Alas, that 10,000m goal alluded us. So we settled for a challenging 400km mixed surface route with some of the steepest 7.5AA points you'll ride. We felt that Mike would approve :demon:

The recce was certainly very challenging but very rewarding.  However, it highlighted the need for some alternative routes to insure a wider cross section of cyclists could join in remembering him.

So we have planned additional 100km, 200km and 300km rides alongside that 400km ride with the possibly of a 10AA 600km. They will all embrace the spirit of Mike and promise to be challenging in their own right. As such, the spirit of self-sufficiency should be embraced. These are not your normal 'run of the mill' mid Wales audax events and will offer something not often found on the AUK calendar. Don't enter the longer events thinking you will be able to just 'knock them out' on your light weight race bike. You won't! And that's not a challenge.

All rides will loop out of Llandrindod Wells over the weekend of 2nd - 3rd June 2018.

Events are planned to go live on the AUK calendar early October 2017 as Black Sheep productions. More details will follow. Keep an eye out here, on TCR based social media and on the AUK calendar.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

:thumbsup:

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Fantastic! Already bookmarked in the calendar though not sure if I can get round. (that's the attraction). Is the 600 by combining 400 and 200? Or is a further event in the pipeline?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

That's in the calendar for next year, sounds great!

TOBY

• hello
Will share this in my club  :thumbsup:

I'm in. :thumbsup:

Chris N

Definitely up for this. :thumbsup:

vistaed

• Everyday stories
Fantastic! Already bookmarked in the calendar though not sure if I can get round. (that's the attraction). Is the 600 by combining 400 and 200? Or is a further event in the pipeline?

It will be a single 600km loop and not a combination of two shorter loops. There will be no mid ride return to Base and no mid ride manned sleep controls. X rated self-sufficiency is the ethos here.

Smeth

Splendid. Ill hang fire until Black Sheep adds a 600 to his events already on the Calendar. Then pluck up the cohones!

As Vistaed has pointed-out for the 600, the same is true for all rides, they all go out from Llandrindod and single-loop around mid/north Wales.

The initial ride/route concept was 400km, and the 400 does form the basic framework that all the other rides hang around.

If you don't think you can get around, and I presume you're refering to the 400 BR. Why not enter the 400 BP ride, it's the same route - just at a lower pace, you'll get 40hours. You'll still get the AAA points, but not the distance points - but you wouldn't have got those anyway (or the AAA points) if you were out of time on the 400BR.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Smeth

As Vistaed has pointed-out for the 600, the same is true for all rides, they all go out from Llandrindod and single-loop around mid/north Wales.

The initial ride/route concept was 400km, and the 400 does form the basic framework that all the other rides hang around.

If you don't think you can get around, and I presume you're refering to the 400 BR. Why not enter the 400 BP ride, it's the same route - just at a lower pace, you'll get 40hours. You'll still get the AAA points, but not the distance points - but you wouldn't have got those anyway (or the AAA points) if you were out of time on the 400BR.
It's about the stretch. I wasn't sure I could get round your Scottish 1200 last year or Mille Pennines. But had a good go and made it. Both fantastic memories.

Smeth

Sorry to whitter on. The earlier post was really asking if the 600 was to be added to the calendar. I was going to enter the 400 but will hang on a while.

Sorry to whitter on. The earlier post was really asking if the 600 was to be added to the calendar. I was going to enter the 400 but will hang on a while.

600 on it's way  :thumbsup:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

600 on it's way  :thumbsup:

Excellent news ! Sounds challenging ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes

It will be a single 600km loop and not a combination of two shorter loops. There will be no mid ride return to Base and no mid ride manned sleep controls. X rated self-sufficiency is the ethos here.
Bag-drop?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

I do hope there's going to be no publicity. I don't think you can call anything self-sufficient if it consciously seeks approbation beyond the self.

vistaed

• Everyday stories

Bag-drop?
Unlikely

vistaed

• Everyday stories
I do hope there's going to be no publicity. I don't think you can call anything self-sufficient if it consciously seeks approbation beyond the self.
Publicity....ummm. Yes, but not as a means to seek approval from others. More information will be made available via a dedicated website so that riders can make an informed decision about which is the appropriate route/distance for their kit and ability and allow them to plan a suitable ride strategy. We also want those beyond this forum, regular readers of Arrive or the AUK calendar to have an opportunity to hear about the rides and join in. A website will be an enabler for that, the details of which shall be spread via our social networks.

Self-sufficiently will come from the lack of external support beyond the necessary. ie, there will be no bag drops, no manned controls, no details of on-route re-supply options and no sag wagon. But we shall muse about what tires/bikes might be best suited or unsuitable to each of the routes.

... no details of on-route re-supply options

If I read that correctly, that implies that information on cafes and shops etc will not be provided. This would not be an issue for local riders who will be aware of what lies on the route, or just off the route, but for out-of-area riders this will require much use of streetview and Internet information gathering beforehand. Is that correct?

Overall I am very much looking forward to the weekend. The thinking behind the events is spot-on, and I am looking forward to preparing for what appears to be a true challenge that will be rewarding in many ways.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Ooooh, this sounds awesome!

I'd already decided 2018 was to be the year of the hill, so this will fit right in. I also wanted to do some more x rated events, so this is definitely ticking the boxes.

John

Publicity....ummm. Yes, but not as a means to seek approval from others.

I only raise the point because some of the riders on LEL had PR support, and that generated a request for footage. I've got no real 'thing' about self sufficiency, and my main money-making activity is also a hobby, so I've got no qualms about making money out of other 'hobbies'. But that's 'inter-dependency'.

Just bought a Gravel bike so its going to get some serious use next summer   :thumbsup:

This is awesome
Eddington Number 75

vistaed

• Everyday stories
... no details of on-route re-supply options

If I read that correctly, that implies that information on cafes and shops etc will not be provided. This would not be an issue for local riders who will be aware of what lies on the route, or just off the route, but for out-of-area riders this will require much use of streetview and Internet information gathering beforehand. Is that correct?

Overall I am very much looking forward to the weekend. The thinking behind the events is spot-on, and I am looking forward to preparing for what appears to be a true challenge that will be rewarding in many ways.

You do read this correctly but I hear what your saying about being an out of area rider. I class myself as an out of area rider and had to find all the information on food etc myself before heading out with two other riders on our 400km recce. In a way its part of the spirit of Mike and enriched the experience of the ride. Our ride did not go to plan but I'll write about that at another time. The first time you do a challenging route in to the unknown it's more than just about being fit enough to complete the ride. It's about the mental preparation, the planning, the kit choice and your approach to risk that all come together to form a strategy you hope will get you round in time. But in the end you just don't know if the strategy will work. It's also about the asking of questions of those that are locals on forums like this. It helps to build a sense of joint adventure before the ride has even started. As such, I believe these rides could be more rewarding for out of area riders.

Bag-drop?
Unlikely

I think you should allow Matt at least to drop a bag at the start and collect it at the finish.

George Berwick used to cache food and bottles in hedges on the 24. Will that be allowed if you do it by bicycle?