Author Topic: Ferries and Isles  (Read 2142 times)

Ferries and Isles
« on: 28 June, 2016, 11:38:29 pm »
So, Islay. And Jura. Maybe Colonsay.

I’d picked this area for a week’s tour a couple of years ago, but it never happened, and I spent possibly the wettest week of my life on Mull instead.

I’d always intended to go back, though, for a whole host of reasons. Beaches, ferries, mountains, distilleries.

Friday 17th June - Three Ferries, Three Trains and a Dash across Glasgow’s Pedestrian Precinct. Oh, and a bike ride.

Timings were a bit tight. To get the last ferry (18.00) over to Islay, I had to catch at least the 16.45 sailing from Portavadie, and to catch that I had to leave Gourock no later than 13.30, and to catch that I had to dash out of the bowels of the currently-being-renovated Glasgow Queen Street across to Central and jump the barriers*, and to get there I had to negotiate a connection at Edinburgh Waverley, and before all of that I had to leave Darlo at about 8 in the morning on my day off.

Phew! I made it, though it all felt a bit rushed. I could’ve easily camped on the mainland and got an early ferry over to Islay. I resolved not to rush so much on the way back, as I was knackered on the Saturday.

It was a great ride in stunning weather. Sadly, I didn’t have much time for photos, but the route from Dunoon to Portavadie is definitely a keeper, if a bit hilly. I was carrying an old Bart’s map of the Firth of Clyde which didn’t show the modern road south to Tighnabruich - there is most certainly a road, which modern engineers have crafted up the hillside, and presenting a fabulous view over the Kyles of Bute.

And the Portavadie ferry was quiet, which gave my bike a nice little posing spot on the crossing of Loch Fyne.

I spent the journey waving at the many sailors on Loch Fyne - there were loads of sails on the loch, presumably out from Tarbert and its large marina.

I had thought that Tarbert-Kennacraig was up ond over a great big hill, making the ferry timings a bit tight, but I’d been thinking of the road over to Claonaig and the Arran ferry, thankfully. It was a comparatively flat main road run, and I had time to get my tickets and chat to a motley bunch of Aussies, Kiwis and Geordies with far too much luggage. Their support cars only took their luggage to the ferry, so they had to wheel their bags and bikes on. I was overpacked with food and random shit, but it was still a comparatively compact setup.

I climbed the Hill from Port Askaig and went about looking for somewhere to pitch my tent, eventually picking a spot fairly close to Finlaggan, the former seat of the Lairds of the Isles. A couple of cyclists went past to god-knows-where, and a car with a German numberplate went out-and-back. I realised the next morning that they’d probably been looking for somewhere to camp, but the No Camping signs at the tourist centre probably dismayed the rule-abiding Germans. I wished I’d got that far, the grass was much better and there were no sheep.

Mind you, my view was fantastic.

https://www.strava.com/activities/620285412

*Well, nearly - a guard told me off for pushing my loaded tourer through a closing gate when trying to get the connection to Gourock.

Re: Ferries and Isles
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2016, 10:41:11 am »
It's all very BLUE!  Cheers, Dean.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »
Lovin' it. Not least because I had much the same thing in mind for myself this year, if I'd been riding more.  Now I can sit back and enjoy it in comfort;  I may even have a glass of something peaty at a suitable point just to enter into it fully.  Cheers Dean!  Alltheverybest

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:44:36 pm »
Looks fabulous Dean, looking forward to the rest of the report! :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:35:23 pm »
Saturday - Ports and Pubs

I woke up early, but not early enough for dawn, sunrise being about 3 am. And with an approaching full moon at 55º north, it was never really dark. Just a pity I didn’t dig my camera out.

Ah well - you can imagine it for yourselves. I busied myself searching out some water for breakfast, which wasn’t to be had at the Finlaggan Centre, and I had to wait until the public loos at Bridgend. Side note - in contrast to the rest of the country, public loos are thriving on Islay. Every substantial village had a fair-sized facility with a bus shelter attached. I brewed up some porridge, and called in at the Spar for provisions when it opened.

The “main” road across the island was a bit dull, but enlivened by a murder of crows spread across the telegraph poles. Not particularly unusual birds to spot, but the whole crew of them coughing and croaking and calling made a right racket, and reminded me that Hitchcock’s The Birds could have been a documentary, as that eerie, echoing sound owed little to the soundman’s art.

However, the road from Bridgend curves around Loch Indaal and I had my first sight of golden sands. They’d mentioned in the shop at Bridgend that a fair few people camped along the strand, and it did look a fine camping spot, except you’d be hostage to every weather front moving over.

Feeling a bit dozy, I headed for Port Charlotte, meandering around the bay towards the campsite at Port Mor. It was a gorgeous morning, mind, and I lingered a bit on the front at Port Charlotte. Gorgeous clear seas. I know I've just used the word gorgeous twice, it was justified.

And the campsite at Port Mor is a decent enough spot. Alright, I suppose. I had a shower and a few hours napping.

But you can’t spend your time sleeping on such a day, so I went off to seek out the pub at Portnahaven. Calling in at Port Wemyss first, just for a nose-around. I spotted a few seals in the distance, but didn’t have enough of a zoom to photograph them. There are also alleged views of Ireland, but it was a bit too hazy.

Then to the unpronounceable pub for a pint, and back for tea and an early night with an eye on the planned 200 km on the Sunday. It was just a shame that someone pitched their tent right next to me at about ten o'clock. and then again at eleven o'clock, this time with loud hammering and excessively loud Welshness. Bah.

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2016, 11:37:52 pm »
Don't hold your breath for further updates, I'm away at the weekend. But I'll catch up when I get back.