Author Topic: Threaded headset - replace loose bearings with cage?  (Read 1988 times)

Threaded headset - replace loose bearings with cage?
« on: 30 September, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »
I can't seem to adjust the headset on my old Holdsworth Mistral correctly - although the headset cups don't look worn.  The headset is either too loose and "knocks" when rocking the front of the bike or too tight - only turning a quarter circle before encountering resistance.

I hate loose ball bearing headsets - the messy grease, the bearings falling all over the place, not knowing whether you've got too many or too few bearings in there.  So, can I replace the loose bearings with ones contained in a race, like this: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Weldtite-5-32-quot-Headset-Cages-Grease_2213.htm ?

I don't want to spend too much money on this frame as it's likely I'll ride it to work over the winter and then buy something nicer in the spring.

Cheers.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Threaded headset - replace loose bearings with cage?
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
I believe you need your head tube facing before anything else.  Not expensive and any half decent bike shop will do it.  It can turn one of these unadjustable headsets into a peach.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2012, 07:41:22 pm »
I'd use a finer adjustment than a 1/4 turn.

You can use caged balls instead of loose balls, although the one in the link has the balls spaced apart a lot, it looks like it has half the number of balls compared with fitting loose balls.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »
A typical caged ball set doesn't solve the "not knowing whether you've got too many or too few bearings" because it forces you to have too few! (compared to the optimum number).

My advice:  Stick with loose balls if you don't want to change the whole headset for a cartridge one (the good way reduce maintenance).  Use loads of grease to hold the balls in place.  Adjust it on the loose side if you want to ride before getting the head tube faced.  The job will be worth doing unless you'll be chucking the frame on a tip.

I find Campag headsets are more tolerant of imperfect faces than all the several headsets I tried previously.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●