Author Topic: Fitting Marathon Pluses - what's the secret?  (Read 19701 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Fitting Marathon Pluses - what's the secret?
« Reply #125 on: 25 September, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »
Where can we get those long gloves, Feline?  Stopping to "examine" a cow should be a good solution for those of us who get desperately cold on a wintery bike ride.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #126 on: 25 September, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »
Where can we get those long gloves, Feline?  Stopping to "examine" a cow should be a good solution for those of us who get desperately cold on a wintery bike ride.

Less than a tenner for 100! http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Arm-Length-Vinyl-Gloves-pack-of-100/productinfo/K5586/
You will need to buy some lube too though  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #127 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:43:52 am »
Last night I fitted G G G G Granvilles new M+ on the rear rim. I used the method as described here.

The only issue I had was a minute or two of Laurel and Hardy inspired comedy gold. The tyre I removed was a 700x28 Conti contact. I replaced it with a 700x32 M+. Being a stiff carcass, the problem was getting the bead to stay inside the rim at the start of fitting the second bead. It kept popping out in the manner of the comedy films of lod where Stan Laurel would be trying to close drawers of a cabinet and every time he clopsed one, a s econd woukld pop open. In the end I resorted to a couple of toe straps set at ten to two just to cinch the bead in place. The rest of the bead rolled in with little effort and no profanity. The rim is an Alex Ace 19.

Chris S

« Reply #128 on: 27 September, 2012, 09:49:26 am »

Less than a tenner for 100! http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Arm-Length-Vinyl-Gloves-pack-of-100/productinfo/K5586/
You will need to buy some lube too though  ;D

I can't wait to read the newspaper reports, or perhaps even a wintry tale in Arrivee.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #129 on: 27 September, 2012, 09:51:39 am »
Is it legal?  What's the etiquette surrounding such practices?  Buy the cow a drink first?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #130 on: 27 September, 2012, 10:57:11 am »
Being a stiff carcass

Me too.  I've heard pilates is good.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuzzy

« Reply #131 on: 28 September, 2012, 11:48:01 am »

Re: Fitting Marathon Plus and other Bastard Tight Fit Tyres's (BTFT's)
« Reply #132 on: 28 September, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
Try Google, 'Kool Stop Tire Jack'

Never used one but look like a good solution from 3hours a gallon of washing up liquid and bloody knuckles from a pair of Park tyre levers  :'(

See the video here; <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9173348&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9173348&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Not sure where you can get them in the UK but Ebay will help you out

Regards
Karl
Advanced Velo Design - Windcheetah
+44 (0) 7429 462 312

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #133 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:48:28 pm »
The VAR lever is a functional equivalent that is more easily available and slightly more compact.  Recommended.

fuzzy

« Reply #134 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:14:31 pm »
Same as the Simson Tyre Mate available from UK outlets such sa SJS

« Reply #135 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »
The VAR lever is a functional equivalent that is more easily available and slightly more compact.  Recommended.
Mine bent alarmingly when fitting a Marathon to my Brompton. But the tyre went on. Eventually.

Let's hope it's another nine years (yes, really!) before I need to do that again. The original outlasted the chain, sprockets, rear mudguard & back light. It hadn't actually started letting anything out, but it was as smooth as the proverbial neonatal buttocks, & since I was taking the back wheel off anyway (for the first time!), I thought it was time to change it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897