Author Topic: NewForest On and Offshore 200  (Read 48747 times)

LEE

Re: NewForest On and Offshore 200
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2008, 04:02:46 pm »
Bugger - just look at the weather forecast. Shaping up for a washout.

As far as I understand (based on my 2008 SR series) "Audax" is French for "Shaping for a Washout".

Application sent.  Apparently any applications received by Friay will be OK but won't get a route sheet in advance.

Does anyone have a route sheet?

« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2008, 07:53:56 pm »
Bugger - just look at the weather forecast. Shaping up for a washout.

As far as I understand (based on my 2008 SR series) "Audax" is French for "Shaping for a Washout".

Application sent.  Apparently any applications received by Friay will be OK but won't get a route sheet in advance.

Does anyone have a route sheet?

I've got a fairly scruffy copy of the 2004 route. i can scan it or take it to work in Andover tomorrow.

HTH
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »
I have a softcopy of route now thanks.

« Reply #28 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:34:48 pm »
Does anybody have a GPS version of the New Forest part of the ride.  Working from an online map i'm finding the 160 - 175 km section hard to work out.

Looking at the forecast on xcweather.co.uk it keeps alternating between dry all day and non-stop rain.  I reckon I can guess which way it'll turn out.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 04 September, 2008, 04:53:48 pm »
Hoorah!

I'm in.

Good ol' Mr Ward  :thumbsup:

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 04 September, 2008, 04:57:08 pm »
I seriously considered this ride, so much did I enjoy my New Forest jaunt during the snows of early April. However, I have this daughter, y'see, who has just come home from 5 weeks in Darkest Peru and she's off to Spain soon as well, so I'll spend this weekend at home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #31 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:22:06 pm »
So wouldn't this be ideal father-daughter quality time on the tandem?

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:23:31 pm »
Hoorah!

I'm in.

Good ol' Mr Ward  :thumbsup:

H

Me also,

See you at the start.

I'm driving down this time (too lardy right now to add another 100km cycling there and back) and plan to be at the Long Stay at 7am then cycle down to the Ferry for 7:15.

Wowbagger, shame you can't make it.  Maybe I'll get to meet you on a New Forest ride in 2009 and we can get our Rohloffs out (although I'm thinking of using my rennovated British Eagle Touristique for a SR series next year).

Got to go now, I'm getting depressed at the thought of doing another 600km ride.

Hummers

« Reply #33 on: 05 September, 2008, 07:38:28 am »
Maybe I'll get to meet you one night in a New Forest car park in 2009 and we can get our Rohloffs out ....

This is all part of the New Forest experience..

H

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:02:04 am »
Maybe I'll get to meet you one night in a New Forest car park in 2009 and we can get our Rohloffs out ....

H

I'd sue you if you were the Daily Mirror

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 06 September, 2008, 10:59:02 am »

H

Think of me as your Sunday Sport.

:P

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 06 September, 2008, 01:16:57 pm »

H

Think of me as your Sunday Sport.

I think Annie's got one of those. It's got a Ti frame.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #37 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:18:19 pm »
And she said she's entered this ride.
Be gentle with her  ;D

Hummers

« Reply #38 on: 06 September, 2008, 06:00:58 pm »
Be gentle with her  ;D

Bah!

She's a lot thougher than she looks, I reckon.

H

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #39 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
Be gentle with her  ;D

Bah!

She's a lot thougher than she looks, I reckon.

H

You could be right, she was on about entering the Anfractuous next weekend as well.

LEE

« Reply #40 on: 06 September, 2008, 09:12:49 pm »
Montane 'emergency' waterproof OR Endura "Fully Waterproof" waterproof?

Do we think it will be light showers of a day of full-on rain?

I'm really looking forward to this, should be a good day in the elements.  I may just take a change of jersey for the Ferry back to Lymington and the 2nd half on the mainland.

See you at the Ferry terminal

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #41 on: 07 September, 2008, 03:30:24 am »
That's me out of bed!!  :o
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 07 September, 2008, 10:00:36 pm »
Am back now having dropped off Postie and stuffing my chops with pasta..

What a great day. A very well organised ride and route. The first half was lumpy but the second half got easier the longer it went on.

The ride across the island went as expected but it was great to see so many familiar faces and have a laugh along the way.

It seemed like a large proportion of the riders caught the 1pm ferry back. Those stranded at the dock were treated to a re-enactment of Titanic on the stern - you know, the bit where Ms Winslett got her knockers moobs out and wanted to be painted like a french lady.

Kept with most of the pack thoroughout the day but when we got to Lymington, I was quite happy to be on my own. By Bembridge my legs were reminding me that there's cycling and then there is cycling with the Big Boys. Tempting as Postie's chain gang was, I decided to discretely peel off and called by at a hotel for a glorious shit that was wholly unexpected.

I caught up with some of the group at the Sheath of Arseholes PH at Cranbourne and had a chat with two girls who had just come back from Bestival - on the IOW. It was noticeable that they were covered in mud.

Popped in on my brother for a cup of tea on the way through Bransgore and hit the coast just as the setting sun turned The Needles pink. Fantastic.

Lee had a blinding run round and finished in good time, taking under 2 hours to cover the last 49k by all accounts.

H

P.S.

Is everything allright with Brian Callow? He was wearing the trademark round the year SPD sandals but to brighten up the ensemble, had his toenails painted a sort of pearlescent green.  :o

LEE

« Reply #43 on: 07 September, 2008, 11:32:41 pm »
I think this goes down as one of my favourite Audaxes,  Never done it before (and thought I'd hate cycling across the New Forest for the umpteenth time in 2 years) but I loved both 100km sections.

The IoW 100km flew by.  Hummers left me in his wake for the first 50km so I just plodded along until I managed to reel him in (a combination of me getting stronger and Hummers getting weaker I think).

The second 100km, after we docked back at Lymington, was a flyer.  I tagged on the back of Postie's 'chain-gang' and desperately held on, tucked-in at the back, until the end.

If you take out a pub-stop (check-point) then we covered the 2nd 100km in just under 4 hours.  My legs feel like I've done a 600km but it felt great to be flying along for so long.  I realise I couldn't have gone so fast without draughting all the way back but still, it was a great experience.

I got to meet Annie and Cyklisten.

I got to ride my rennovated 1986 British Eagle and it felt great (SR series in 2009 on it would be nice).

And (BBC Weather, are you reading this?) it was dry all day !

Highly recommended ride.  Great scenery, great company, great speed and 3 ferry crossings.  A Mini adventure.

Hummers

« Reply #44 on: 07 September, 2008, 11:42:28 pm »

The IoW 100km flew by.  Hummers left me in his wake for the first 50km so I just plodded along until I managed to reel him in (a combination of me getting stronger and Hummers getting weaker I think).

Yeah, that's about the measure of it. I was cramping up at Bembridge and was in a similiar state up until the last 50k where the legs and power came back on line.

H

LEE

« Reply #45 on: 08 September, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »
Some photos off my phone

Lymington Ferry Terminal

Bembridge Cafe

Bembridge Sea Front (it didn't rain all day !)

Waiting for Cowes Chain Link Ferry

On the Chain Link

The obligatory Beans on Toast etc. at the finish

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #46 on: 08 September, 2008, 04:54:43 pm »
Definitely up there with the goodies, as Lee says, for organisation, company and a bloody good ride! I had forgotten just how undulating the IoW was but the views were reward enough. Met a load of new (to me) YACFers including Annie, Lee, Tim and Tiger. it was also good to catch up with "Mr Underpants" of Sotonia while captive on the first ferry before he stepped on the pedals and disappeared as usual! Hummers was on top form. On the ferry he had rushed outside to 'wave' at Annie who was arriving on land and after his shirt lifting  :demon: display I saw his hands go to his waistband but on looking round and possibly seeing the captain on the bridge, thought better of it. Just as well, as I was eating!
I have driven through the New Forest before but have only seen the ponies on the large deforested areas. It was fascinating to see them in the villages just wandering about, a bit like the mooses (elks?) in Canada.
I was tired by the end, having had only three hours kip the previous evening (albeit uninterrupted by burglars - Tiger!) and slept in one of the M3 services for an hour before heading on and missing the M25 turn off (big fat woman with hair under her arms!) thus driving from Lymington to Maidstone via central London - Doh!   
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 08 September, 2008, 05:51:30 pm »
it was also good to catch up with "Mr Underpants" of Sotonia while captive on the first ferry before he stepped on the pedals and disappeared as usual!
This is one of the nice unique features of the ride - it was like a control where EVERYONE had to sit down with their fellow AUKs for 15minutes, and in some cases even chat. (Objectors could hide in the toilet head if desperate.)

heading on and missing the M25 turn off (big fat woman with hair under her arms!) thus driving from Lymington to Maidstone via central London - Doh!   
Must be something about this ride - ask NikW about the route we took back last year!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 08 September, 2008, 09:47:35 pm »
An entirely excellent day.

Met my friend Keith at the long stay car park and then The Lovely Annie at the ferry terminal. She then played the part of the hostess:

"Cyclisten, this is Tim. Tim this is Cyclisten. Hummers, (mwah, mwah) have you met Tim? Tim, this is Hummers"

until it was time to board the Saucy Sue.  The sea was generally flat, with occasional lumps and the crossing is only 20 minutes, but this was enough to render TLA poorly and Not Happy.  We ground up to The Needles where TLA had to face another of her betes noire - vertigo. The road down has airy views of the oggin below but she coped admirably. Heading East towards Bembridge we had the benefit of a tail wind and TLA increased in happiness, the telltale sign for which being the increase in Burbling Chatter.

Bembridge Cafe hove in to view, where we spied Hummers, waiting for waxing, or gaffa tape - which ever was handiest. We declined and went in hunt of Beans on Toast, of which there were none, so I scoffed some bread pudding instead. I then applied soothing ungents to TLA's poorly shoulder, making her yelp when I got to the hurty bit.

Keith was riding very strongly and we reminisced about various tandem club rides we'd done on the island, especially as we were using some of the white on blue Round the Island signs, shown as WoB on the route card.These were renamed WowBagger signs.

And then it was Cowes and the chain ferry. TLA was a bit perturbed by this, but managed by closing her eyes.  Burbling Chatter was soon in full flow again as we headed towards Yarmouth. On the approach we wound Richard of Wiltshire into our gruppetto, and having witnessed that nice Mr. Hummers baring his flesh on the foredeck of the Saucy Sue and Running Away before he could reprise "My Heart Will go On" inna Kate Winslett stylee we legged it to a cafe for BoT.  Time was running away so we impressed on the Bright Young Thing serving us that we needed food Now. It duly arrived and I warned TLA that we'd have to hurry. She claimed to be a fast eater. Pah. And there's me holder of several medals for scoffing. I won. We legged it skedaddled to the ferry and nearly got run over on the slip way.

Burbling chatter gradually increased as we put our nautical adventures behind us and we headed into the Forest and up the Ornamental Drive. Some seriously nice trees and a seriously steep step as we got to the top, causing intemperate language. Then wooshing downwards towards the Red Shoot, Mockbeggar and out of the Forest. The lanes wandered around, as did we, willing the control to get here sooner.

A nasty steep kick as we hit the edge of the downs caused one of our number to exclaim, loudly "Who the shpxing hell put that there!".  I won't let on who it was, but Burbling Chatter was reduced for a while.

The Sheaf of Arrows had us down a quick drink and application of more soothing ungents to TLA's shoulder. Cue more yelping as I found the hurty bit again. We whizzed on, pausing for a navigation check after taking a turn too early. We knew where we were, but weren't sure where that was on the route card. The Blokes of the team consulted the map, whilst TLA said "it's this way", and so it was.

Once into Ringwood we got organised into a pace line, like Proper Cyclists and hammered down the final kilometres (or miles for those with a hankering for imperial units). We were buzzing. Discussions with Keith identified the factors involved: End in sight, slight down hill, tailwind and our own invincibility.
Going through Milford on Sea we spied a shop called Doggy Fashions. Which was nice.

Hitting the coast we were rewarded with a magnificent view of the Isle of Wight bathed, or at least lightly showered, in sunshine. The Needles battery was clearly visible. Gosh, we were up there this morning.

TLA took the lead on the last bit, zooming off up the Ancient Highway, and guiding us unerringly to the Arrivee for tea, pasta and lashings of rice pudding.  We were possibly holders of the lanterne rouge, although there may have been one other rider still out on the course. I didn't care. I'd had an excellent day, in excellent company.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 08 September, 2008, 11:50:42 pm »
Sounds marvellous. Puts it down on "to do" list for next year.