Author Topic: Transcontinental 2015  (Read 14617 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Transcontinental 2015
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »
The organiser emailed me direct.

He must have heard of my plans to go for the win in 2015.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »
I'll be using up my holiday allowance doing PBP

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2014, 03:59:28 pm »
It's like to do it but as there is no mention of an El Supremo feed I'm afraid I'm out.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2014, 05:32:57 pm »
2016 for me.  Just hope it doesn't get too crazy by them - maybe by then 40km of gravel will be considered not testing enough, so there'll be a control/check-point on the top of a mountain with not so much as a dirt track for 50km!  :o
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2014, 05:57:18 pm »
Get lost Rich its the Trans am for recumbents???????¡

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2014, 10:32:13 am »
Its a PBP year, so I hope to be riding that fine event. So that normally means a reduced mileage season for me - just the qualifiers, maybe another 600 or extra 200s.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »
My entry went in earlier this week, previous finishers had 48 hour head start to the entry system which crashed with all the traffic when it opened at 8pm this evening. Seems to have picked up lots of interest. Should be a good warm up for PBP  ;D

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2014, 01:57:19 pm »
Did anyone else on here get in.
I'm in, just have to decide if I'll be recovered enough for PBP now, or just use that as a recovery ride  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2014, 09:01:36 am »
Mate of mine at my LBS got in.

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
Very happy to be 'in' ☺

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2014, 01:39:25 pm »
Wow. All the best with that SJR - do keep us informed about your prep and the ride.

So has this supplanted the 50@50 idea that you mentioned, or is one going to be training for the other?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #12 on: 04 December, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »
Life's a ballot for 2015 .. short ride over the Alpes onwards planned for ;)
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2014, 05:07:32 pm »
Reg.T: I'm such a butterfly I've even forgotten what the '50@50' was!  I remember chatting about it (on the ill-fated Brimstone?) but have no idea what nonsense plan I was proposing.  Anyway, all other bets are off as it's TCR2015 all the way now.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »
Ha! Yes, it was on Brimstone I think. IIRC it was an idea of doing a fast E2E. You can probably work out what the 50s relate to now  :-X  ;D
(I didn't really think you'd be attempting both, but you never know...)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #15 on: 06 December, 2014, 03:39:27 am »
Ah yes, now I recall that one....hmmm

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #16 on: 06 December, 2014, 10:32:44 am »
Did anyone else on here get in.
I'm in, just have to decide if I'll be recovered enough for PBP now, or just use that as a recovery ride  ;D

You didn't mention you were planning both Jack! You may need to buy 'er indoors another horse ;-)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #17 on: 06 December, 2014, 10:52:23 am »
Recently found out she has sneaked another one in, so I'm off to Gorillas to pick up my retaliation. :D

« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »
Logistics are going to be interesting, but I'm planning to do both Transcontinental and PBP. I suppose flying from Istanbul to Paris is only way to make in time for sure. :)

Shortest distance for 2015 Transcontinental is longer than longest distance in either 2013 or 2014 Tcr. It is going to be more of a challenge. Maybe even less of a race.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:10:14 pm »
Logistics are going to be interesting, but I'm planning to do both Transcontinental and PBP. I suppose flying from Istanbul to Paris is only way to make in time for sure. :)

Shortest distance for 2015 Transcontinental is longer than longest distance in either 2013 or 2014 Tcr. It is going to be more of a challenge. Maybe even less of a race.

For someone who did a LEL TCR double in 2013 it can't be that much of a challenge. Not to mention the Tampere-Saariselkä/Saariselkä-Kaunispää double.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #20 on: 02 April, 2015, 03:56:24 pm »
Someone (you know who you are!!) may have mentioned this fine event to me recently and now it has totally caught my attention as a possibility for 2016. 

What kind of speed/fitness is required to be in with a chance of finishing?  The whole thing seems rather daunting - but as all the best things in life usually are, that has done nothing other than make me even more interested.

Does anyone know how many women usually enter? 
Does not play well with others

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #21 on: 02 April, 2015, 05:47:12 pm »
fitness-wise is as usual - the better it is the easier it goes. if you can maintain 20kph moving average over hilly terrain you'll make it to finisher's party and have 5-6 hours of sleep every night. it was daunting for me as well and makes pbp a walk in the park, but i reckon you are fit enough to ride it and kick quite a few masculine arses. there was only one (notoriously tough) woman in the 2013, but more last year and hopefully numbers will grow in the future editions.
it is an amazing challenge - get ready and do it!

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #22 on: 02 April, 2015, 06:17:19 pm »
What kind of speed/fitness is required to be in with a chance of finishing?  The whole thing seems rather daunting - but as all the best things in life usually are, that has done nothing other than make me even more interested.

Does anyone know how many women usually enter?

Rabbit I am down on the waiting list for this year, but not sure I will get my self/kit/sh!t etc together to do it even if I get it. Will probably try for next year. I know a couple of the girls who did it last year, one on her own. She is a very very tough lady but said she had some seriously scary moments on her own. Now I'm thinking I would pair up with someone at least so if you are interested in a female pair get in touch. It may be something good to do with another guy however for obvious reasons for both of us! (although I am a kickboxing teacher amongst other things!  :) ) Go for it, that's my motto...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:02:44 pm »

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:43:08 am »
Rabbit, there's no doubt you could finish this, in fact you'd be a strong contender (its run as a "race").  I rode it last year and although I'm dithering at the moment, I wasn't put off and have an entry in for this year as well. I'm a very unexceptional audax rider, although I did up my mileage ahead of last years event (I rode about 5,000 miles in the first half of last year and I'll bet you're somewhere in that region).  Last year around 90 riders started and I think around 50 finished in time for the post race party, including four women who all placed well up in the rankings.  For those at the front its clearly a race for places, for riders like me it was a race against the clock to get there before the party and for a few it was just a matter of getting there, however long it took.  You can make of this event whatever you want, but unless you're in the top flight, speed is not as critical as good organisation, resourcefulness and mental resilience.  I certainly rode it like a multi-day audax, rather than a race.  Long and steady got me there and while it was a huge effort, I never felt any real doubt or extreme pressure.  Its a fantastic adventure and as long as you don't mind roughing it and have the mental determination, its well within the capabilities of a solid audax rider.  Its difficult for me to comment on the specific issues facing a female rider but I don't think its anything like as risky as some might think.  I had lots of blasts of horns and shouts from passing cars but I eventually came to the conclusion they were all friendly.  The wild dogs can't be avoided but are more bark than bite and I had no trouble finding somewhere to bed down each night that was out of sight and felt safe.  The scariest moment I had was when a grasshopper jumped into bed with me.  I did ride some awful roads with heavy lorry traffic thundering past, too fast and too close.  This was the most unpleasant aspect of the event for me and definitely the most dangerous but I think this would be difficult to avoid entirely, so you either put up with it or bail out but it only applies to a limited part of the journey.  Its principally a solo, unsupported event and best described as an adventure race but last year several riders ignored the "rules" and rode as pairs or groups.  This year there's a specific category for pairs, so the option exists to team up with someone for security and mutual support.  I was uncertain about whether to commit to the ride last year.  My heart said "do it" and he head kept doubting my capability and pointing out how selfish and indulgent it would be.  Then one day I told myself to clear away all the negative thoughts and just get on with it and that was that.  I'm so glad I made that decision, its certainly the most powerful experience I've had on a bike and of course the cycling is just the skeleton on which builds an experience of ever-changing places and people, beautiful views, shifting economies and cultures, all wrapped around a struggle with your inner-self. I was left with a strange feeling afterwards that "something had changed" and certainly it has altered my perspective about what is possible.  Its not for everyone but I hope you give it a go.