Author Topic: Transcontinental 2015  (Read 14647 times)

Re: Transcontinental 2015
« Reply #25 on: 03 April, 2015, 11:22:05 am »
fitness-wise is as usual - the better it is the easier it goes. if you can maintain 20kph moving average over hilly terrain you'll make it to finisher's party and have 5-6 hours of sleep every night. it was daunting for me as well and makes pbp a walk in the park, but i reckon you are fit enough to ride it and kick quite a few masculine arses. there was only one (notoriously tough) woman in the 2013, but more last year and hopefully numbers will grow in the future editions.
it is an amazing challenge - get ready and do it!

Thanks for the input and encouragement :) It is useful to see figures rather than 'am I ever going to be fast enough' guesswork.  I know I am not the fastest moving, but I can maintain a 20 kph moving average over properly hilly terrain.  For example 200 - 215 km rides with 3500+ m elevation usually sets me around 21.5 kph average moving and that's at comfortable audax pootle pace not 'this is all I have got' pace.  Although saying that the line between 'yeah baby this is fine' and 'OMG I'M GONNA DIE' tends to be rather narrow.  I also don't need to stop much - last week at the Dean I stopped for just over half an hour total in the 300 'cause I needed to be back home at a decent time.  Av moving speed was 23.6 mph which was comfortable pace and done mostly completely solo.  I am certainly used to riding big days fully solo and unsupported in UK now, although I have yet to do a solo multi-day DIY Audax.  I think I will try to get one in in September to see how I fair. 

What kind of speed/fitness is required to be in with a chance of finishing?  The whole thing seems rather daunting - but as all the best things in life usually are, that has done nothing other than make me even more interested.

Does anyone know how many women usually enter?

Rabbit I am down on the waiting list for this year, but not sure I will get my self/kit/sh!t etc together to do it even if I get it. Will probably try for next year. I know a couple of the girls who did it last year, one on her own. She is a very very tough lady but said she had some seriously scary moments on her own. Now I'm thinking I would pair up with someone at least so if you are interested in a female pair get in touch. It may be something good to do with another guy however for obvious reasons for both of us! (although I am a kickboxing teacher amongst other things!  :) ) Go for it, that's my motto...

Yeah, I must admit, the only thing I am concerned about is personal safety and I know it is through my own irrational fear and ignorance caused by lack of experience.  I am not worried about traffic, roughing it, being exhausted, getting lost, not making it, not speaking a word of any language except English or getting vegan food.  I am, in all brutal honesty, very worried about riding through certain areas as a white woman on my own.  I am not an experienced traveller outside of the UK at all.  In fact I have barely spent any time abroad in my lifetime so the whole thing is rather daunting and I have little experience of negating difficult situations in a foreign country with a language barrier.  The biggest mental block for me would be travelling alone outside of the UK. 
Juliana's short'n'sweet report:

http://julianabuhring.com/the-transcontinental-race/

That's a great read and very useful, albeit a bit scary!

Rabbit, there's no doubt you could finish this, in fact you'd be a strong contender (its run as a "race").  I rode it last year and although I'm dithering at the moment, I wasn't put off and have an entry in for this year as well. I'm a very unexceptional audax rider, although I did up my mileage ahead of last years event (I rode about 5,000 miles in the first half of last year and I'll bet you're somewhere in that region).  Last year around 90 riders started and I think around 50 finished in time for the post race party, including four women who all placed well up in the rankings.  For those at the front its clearly a race for places, for riders like me it was a race against the clock to get there before the party and for a few it was just a matter of getting there, however long it took.  You can make of this event whatever you want, but unless you're in the top flight, speed is not as critical as good organisation, resourcefulness and mental resilience.  I certainly rode it like a multi-day audax, rather than a race.  Long and steady got me there and while it was a huge effort, I never felt any real doubt or extreme pressure.  Its a fantastic adventure and as long as you don't mind roughing it and have the mental determination, its well within the capabilities of a solid audax rider.  Its difficult for me to comment on the specific issues facing a female rider but I don't think its anything like as risky as some might think.  I had lots of blasts of horns and shouts from passing cars but I eventually came to the conclusion they were all friendly.  The wild dogs can't be avoided but are more bark than bite and I had no trouble finding somewhere to bed down each night that was out of sight and felt safe.  The scariest moment I had was when a grasshopper jumped into bed with me.  I did ride some awful roads with heavy lorry traffic thundering past, too fast and too close.  This was the most unpleasant aspect of the event for me and definitely the most dangerous but I think this would be difficult to avoid entirely, so you either put up with it or bail out but it only applies to a limited part of the journey.  Its principally a solo, unsupported event and best described as an adventure race but last year several riders ignored the "rules" and rode as pairs or groups.  This year there's a specific category for pairs, so the option exists to team up with someone for security and mutual support.  I was uncertain about whether to commit to the ride last year.  My heart said "do it" and he head kept doubting my capability and pointing out how selfish and indulgent it would be.  Then one day I told myself to clear away all the negative thoughts and just get on with it and that was that.  I'm so glad I made that decision, its certainly the most powerful experience I've had on a bike and of course the cycling is just the skeleton on which builds an experience of ever-changing places and people, beautiful views, shifting economies and cultures, all wrapped around a struggle with your inner-self. I was left with a strange feeling afterwards that "something had changed" and certainly it has altered my perspective about what is possible.  Its not for everyone but I hope you give it a go.

Wow, well done for last year!  Glad to hear it didn't put you off and you have entered again. 

I'm actually not a high miler in riding terms as I only road bike for Audax or for the occasional evening recovery ride.  I do a long Audax at the weekend, and MTB a couple of times a week and a heavy gym session and that's about it.  I would change this and up the time on the bike in the week a lot next year if I entered.

I kind of feel like I am already past the event horizon on this and am tumbling straight into the 'HAVE GOT TO DO THIS' big black hole  ;D
Does not play well with others

Chicane

• short for Bob
« Reply #26 on: 03 April, 2015, 12:28:13 pm »
I haven't done anything quite like this so will probably try and do it in a pair first see how it goes - anyone here interested in pairing up for 2016 I can offer some different skills from the norm - (including the kickboxing! :)). It is strangely quite difficult to find anyone who wants to ride to Istanbul! :) I'll also be intending to ride it as a race coming from a (fun not serious) racing background.

I have ridden alone in Croatia and Southern Spain Rabbit, both very different experiences. Croatia felt absolutely 100% safe on my own (except the car drivers). Spain much less so, I think it may have to do with being closer to an Arabic country and differing attitudes although sometimes I am sure it is just wrong place wrong time.

I know it is through my own irrational fear and ignorance

I'm not sure it is this at all but better to be safe..

The scariest moment I had was when a grasshopper jumped into bed with me.

Shell that's a bit unfortunate, lol!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2015, 01:21:40 pm »
This weekend Kristoff Allegaert (who should need no introduction if you're reading this thread) is riding nonstop from his home in Flanders to the top of Ventoux.

Live tracker: http://www.jaegher.com/live (Jaegher supply his frames)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:32:50 pm »
Blimey!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »
I kind of feel like I am already past the event horizon on this and am tumbling straight into the 'HAVE GOT TO DO THIS' big black hole  ;D
Well in that case...You've already received some great advice from people that have actually done this race. I have not. But I have ridden solo to the south of Spain, competed in the highland trail race and cycle toured around Eastern Europe. I hear your concerns about personal safety. I also get that feeling of anxiety when traveling alone, especially when wild camping in a foreign land, but it usually passes after the first couple of nights and I settle in to the task at hand and realize that my fear far outweighs the actually risk. The biggest real anxiety for me when heading south in August is the temperature and availability of water. What I did learn from those rides is that being comfortable and familiar with using your equipment (especially your sleeping kit) makes a big difference to stress levels and therefore your overall speed. You could use PBP as a nice early test ride in that regard, and your approach to the Cambrian 8a looked good to me when I saw you last year. Maybe a good September solo ride would be to audax LEJOG?

You may have noticed that there is a TCR page on Facebook, which can have useful snippets of wisdom. Also check out http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/ultra-racing  for general ultra racing chat in the build up to this years various races including the http://tourdivide.org/ (there's another one for you, I can only think of one UK Female who has ridden that) and the http://www.transambikerace.com/ among others. Lot's of people on there with lots of experience including a good number of women. Also, look out for a UK showing of this film http://www.inspiredtoride.it/ im sure Mike Hall will arrange one or two as it is sure to attract like minded folk. I might see if we can arrange a showing in Brum by the guys that made http://bicyclethefilm.com/.

And yes, I also hope to ride the TCR next year, if my kids and personal finances allow it :)

Anyone else fancy the idea of a 'UK Round Race' of similar nature to the TCR and transambikerace but kind of like an x-rated perm so you have to collect prof of passage. Controls at Canterbury, Norwich, Berwick, Thurso, Ullapool, Oban, Stranraer, Windemere, llanberis, llandovery, Barnstable, Penzance, Plymouth, Chichister, Canterbury. http://goo.gl/maps/HkFRS approx 2,200 mi so possible in under 10 days for some.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #31 on: 11 April, 2015, 08:54:05 am »
If I don't get into the TCR 2016 I'm strongly considering offering to race people from Gibraltar to Gdansk under mostly the same conditions. Maybe controlling in Andorra and the Timmelsjoch.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 11 April, 2015, 11:25:25 am »
Someone (you know who you are!!) may have mentioned this fine event to me recently and now it has totally caught my attention as a possibility for 2016. 

What kind of speed/fitness is required to be in with a chance of finishing?  The whole thing seems rather daunting - but as all the best things in life usually are, that has done nothing other than make me even more interested.

Does anyone know how many women usually enter?
That there Emily Chappell has apparently entered it this year. AFAICT she's coming from the opposite end to you, so to speak - no audaxing but lots of solo foreign long-distance riding, with suitable experience of being the only white woman for miles around, sleeping in odd places, etc. So if you're thinking of doing it next year, after this year's event she'd lots of appropriate knowledge for you! I assume you could contact her through her blog: http://thatemilychappell.com
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #33 on: 11 April, 2015, 04:02:15 pm »
Anyone else fancy the idea of a 'UK Round Race' of similar nature to the TCR and transambikerace but kind of like an x-rated perm so you have to collect prof of passage.

Thought along the same lines as yourself last year there James, but like a coastal lap of England and Wales for a similar 2200 miles. Some great places to use at checkpoints on the way. Even roughly mapped it out, starting/finishing in that hotbed of cycling Brighton, from the Pier and heading off to lands end to start.
The problem with the UK as always is the fact we can't call it a race. The success of all the other events comes from the highly competitive element involved in a race, and the enjoyment people get from following it.

Having said that if you fancy organising something in the future together, then its still a great idea.  ;)
Jack (doing TCR 2015)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 11 April, 2015, 04:14:44 pm »
Didn't it start in London, UK in 2015?

(This is a complex area - but perhaps the main thing is that *bunch racing* is illegal without jumping thru lots of authoritay hoops. A 2200mile continuous bunch race is pure la-la-land!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #35 on: 11 April, 2015, 08:48:28 pm »
there is a movie launch "inspired to ride", featuring top endurance/adventure riders starting shortly and going through the night (for us in europe). the programme and video streaming are on the website

http://www.inspiredtoride.it/live/

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #36 on: 11 April, 2015, 09:41:55 pm »

(This is a complex area - but perhaps the main thing is that *bunch racing* is illegal without jumping thru lots of authoritay hoops. A 2200mile continuous bunch race is pure la-la-land!)

Probably worded my reply wrong, intention was to state we can never have a
 Uk unsupported race like the TransContinental, TransAmerica etc which limits the appeal in many ways. A huge UK wide Audax would be great.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:48:47 am »

Probably worded my reply wrong, intention was to state we can never have a
 Uk unsupported race like the TransContinental
... which started in London, UK ! :)

(I think it was even run by Brits, with several Brits competing. It certainly wasnt a Turkish event!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #38 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:15:37 am »
Not quite as adventurous as the people considering the round Britain, I am considering a SEWN ride next year. The route I have is about 2,200km  and I think I can just about fit it in with work and stuff. I would plan to manage this in 7 or 8 days. I do not think I can manage any of the organised long rides. I just not have the time to commit to this and all the other things going on.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #39 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:28:59 am »
Brighton would be a better start, I just picked Canterbury as a corner and yes, a 'race' as such is out of the question. But then again Alan manages to do a good job of the highland trail 550 without it being a race with compedators from all over the world. You just post details of a route and a suggested 'group start time' but essentially it's an individual time trail. Spot trackers not mandatory but would be nice. Could be set up as a perm for those that wanted to collect AUK points, and the perm organiser could collect and maintain an online table of finish times. I can think of a few Americans that would come and ride it if we arranged it.

I'll drop you a message Burleycross

« Reply #40 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:35:55 am »
Brighton would be a better start, I just picked Canterbury as a corner and yes, a 'race' as such is out of the question. But then again Alan manages to do a good job of the highland trail 550 without it being a race with compedators from all over the world. You just post details of a route and a suggested 'group start time' but essentially it's an individual time trail. Spot trackers not mandatory but would be nice. Could be set up as a perm for those that wanted to collect AUK points, and the perm organiser could collect and maintain an online table of finish times. I can think of a few Americans that would come and ride it if we arranged it.

I'll drop you a message Burleycross

Yes indeed

Time trial - trial of speed across a defined course on open roads.  Definitely not bunch racing. 

I think this is a brilliant idea.  So brilliant I am going to practice with the sleeping kit/bivvying and getting used to roughing it properly asap.  Starting local with company and getting further afield once I get used to it :)

« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:43:35 am »
Also, look out for a UK showing of this film http://www.inspiredtoride.it/ im sure Mike Hall will arrange one or two as it is sure to attract like minded folk. I might see if we can arrange a showing in Brum by the guys that made http://bicyclethefilm.com/.

Thanks for the useful input Vistaed. 

I think we could get this shown at Malvern Theatre.  They showed Bicycle during our cycling festival  :thumbsup:

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #42 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »

Time trial - trial of speed across a defined course on open roads.  Definitely not bunch racing. 

I think that all that should be defined are the controls, the route between is up to you, which could be quite interesting and a deciding factor with a few hundred miles between controls. I've been reading this blog http://cyclosmontagnards.blogspot.co.uk/ Gives me ideas.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #43 on: 16 May, 2015, 02:04:03 pm »
Kristof Allegaert is on another training ride this weekend - 4 capitals in 3 days. He went via Brussels and Amsterdam to London. I guess the 4th capital was Paris and he's now on his way home to Kortrijk. No live tracker that I'm aware of but he's been tweeting and taking photos. #4capitols3days2wheels1man0regrets

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #44 on: 25 July, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
after the first night of riding it looks like Ultan is in the lead:

http://trackleaders.com/transconrace15f

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #45 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:13:10 am »

On a very extreme bike as well:

https://instagram.com/p/5jS4ZtnDWV/
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #46 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:13:28 am »

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #47 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:55:28 am »

That's a fantastic bike, extra large bisons bidons (doh, spellcheck) too. Anyone know where to get them from ?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

That's a fantastic bike, extra large bisons too. Anyone know where to get them from ?

http://www.farnlessfarmpark.co.uk/bison.html

(if you're after water bottles, those are 1L SIS ones)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #49 on: 25 July, 2015, 12:08:40 pm »

That's a fantastic bike, extra large bisons too. Anyone know where to get them from ?

http://www.farnlessfarmpark.co.uk/bison.html

(if you're after water bottles, those are 1L SIS ones)

Moo!

Randonneurs.be have a few photos on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/randonneurs.be/photos/pcb.1022406104471199/1022403444471465/?type=1&theater