Author Topic: National 400 - Scotland 2015  (Read 17386 times)

Re: National 400 - Scotland 2015
« Reply #125 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:48:12 am »
Steve assembled a small army of extremely friendly, helpful and gastronomically gifted helpers. He planned a challenging and scenic route along the quietest and most spectacular roads in Britain. And managed to find village halls in places I didn't believe existed. Even in this poor Scottish summer the weather was relatively benign and we rejoiced in some fantastic views of the unique hills of the north. An outstanding event, chapeau.

My favorite quote of the event was about the humpfly road across the top of Scotland from Durness to Melvich, "I've climbed a lot in both the Alps and Pyranees and ridden nothing as hard as this".
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #126 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:41:28 am »
Big thank you to team and steve for all the hard work necessary to bring about such an event. Chapeau from Steve,  julian, Aidan, now heading back home.

« Reply #127 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:58:45 am »
Awesome, just Awesome

Thanks to all involved
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #128 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:59:52 am »
it was brilliant! Wonderful ride, stunning scenery and full TLC with several gastronomic delights including mung bean biryani and trifle. Many thanks to Steve and the army of magnificent helpers.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #129 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:01:46 am »
Just to echo what everyone else has said - a fantastic ride with stunning scenery, quiet roads and an army of superb volunteers providing unlimited food and TLC at the controls! Thanks so much to everyone involved  :thumbsup:

« Reply #130 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:06:52 am »
Five star event. Thanks to Steve and all the helpers. Nice to go over the Struie out and back.

« Reply #131 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
Fantastic weekend ...

Route was awesome ... helpers enthusiastic and charming ... food was lovely from Mung Bean Byriani (honestly fantastic) to Clootie Dumpling and custard to perfect omelettes and trifle and cheesy pasta bake ... not that i am food obsessed or anything :-)

It was certainly a tough event and without the support at controls it would have been even tougher.

Also great to put faces to names too.

I will certainly be back to the north west highlands again.

Keep on keeping on.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #133 on: 27 July, 2015, 11:04:21 am »
Fantastic weekend ...

Route was awesome ... helpers enthusiastic and charming ... food was lovely from Mung Bean Byriani (honestly fantastic) to Clootie Dumpling and custard to perfect omelettes and trifle and cheesy pasta bake ... not that i am food obsessed or anything :-)

It was certainly a tough event and without the support at controls it would have been even tougher.

Also great to put faces to names too.

I will certainly be back to the north west highlands again.

Likewise - a few more virtual faces became real and I got a chance to meet up with other friends and acquaintences from the past  :)

« Reply #134 on: 27 July, 2015, 11:27:14 am »
For those who missed it.....http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/search-britains-best-cycling-roads-155704

I've been round nearly every road in the North West Highlands on Steve's rides over the years. 'I've been to paradise, but I've never been to Achilitibuie', not on an Audax anyway. The pictures in that article mirror those of the Drumbeg Rollercoaster in 2004. Another one of Steve's great events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2n9ztQq7w

« Reply #135 on: 27 July, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »
An outstanding event both for the stunning en route scenery and superb support from all the controls. The alacrity with which we were served by all the different helpers at the various controls and the decent into Glen Loth as the dawn was breaking are particularly memorable.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #136 on: 27 July, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »
This was The Best supported event I have ridden!! The helpers are gods now in my eyes! Having people to bring you food and drink at every control was fantastic! I also noticed my wallet had the same amount of cash in it as when I left, saving me lots on shopping at every control!!

The scenery lived up to my memory of it from last summer. I echo many comments of others above, including Steve finding halls in places I'd ridden through and forgotten had existed. That final climb up Struie Hill?? out of Ardgay was a killer but I rode with a great bunch and it was lovely to meet new faces off here and say hello to others who I haven't met before. I'm only sorry there was not a party afterwards (after everyone had had chance to have a sleep) as having a large group who have all gone through the same experience, really helps to bond.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #137 on: 27 July, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »
That final climb up Struie Hill?? out of Ardgay was a killer

I was stupidly pleased not to push on the Struie and grunted my way up in the lowest gear known to humans until I was passed at speed  by two, fresh as a daisy, impossibly cheerful roadies out for a wee spin. I was too everythinged to be able to communicate that I had already been riding for the best part of a day.  >:(

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #138 on: 27 July, 2015, 11:33:55 pm »
Brigadoon Audax.

I'm going to write it up for my own benefit because I know that, however many times I might follow the same route, I'd never see the like again.  Thanks to all.
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

« Reply #139 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:45:33 am »
My first 400. Signed up as soon as I saw the route in the Audax magazine. 6 months of anticipation and it was better than I could have imagined.
Thanks to all the helpers who could not do enough to look after everyone. As someone said there was "no chance of loosing weight on this ride". The food was great and plentiful.
Thanks to Mike? (Edinburgh RC) and Duncan who I rode with through most of the night and kept me going.
Now to work out how I can go back there and take the wife.
LFCC

hillbilly

« Reply #140 on: 28 July, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
(Usual Apols for length)

Thanks to Steve and his helpers.

Quite simply a special event.  The route was one of those that I could easily imagine riding again just for fun, with little or no modification.  The early morning chug to Lairg, with everyone appearing a mix of eager and worried to various degrees.  Passed many familiar faces including my audax hero McNasty.  If I get to his age with his fitness (but hopefully better teeth!) I'll be a happy auld duffer.

The first control gave a hint of the TLC we were in for. Quick service and decent nosh, I was in and out pretty swiftly.  This set me up nicely for the TT into a teasing headwind up to Arsefuck or somewhere.  Beautiful scenery, first along a lochside and then towards the small mountains up north.

The next control was another notch up.  Pasta and soup delivered to a sofa, whilst I say stripped to the waste.  No massages though; not quite the Carlsberg.

Then the coastal stretch via Durness to Tongue.  Rolling but nothing like as mean as claimed.  Really great views here; inland were broad moorland and isolated mountains. To the north inlets and golden sand beaches.  Graeme and Ecl welcomed us in tongue, with some spag Bol that hit the spot.  And cheese. Lovely cheese.

More coast.  The climb to tongue gave a hint as to why the next control was a mere 34km away.  This was a real roller coaster of a road, with a lot of up and down.  The views eased the pain and I was making good time so managed it in daylight.  Phil Dyson and Denise Carroll welcomed us at Strachy.  Fish pie and, oh my, clootie dumpling. Yum yum.  The midgies were coming out to play at this control, cue itch itch itch.  I didn't hang around outside.

I battered my way towards the next control at C*ntfisty of some such.  I just managed to reach here without lights.  Just.  Mainly because the light lingered in the sky for longer.  With a tailwind this was a quick stage, powering down a quiet A road.  The control was manned by the Crawfords.  Sorry to the other controls, but this was the boss.  Trifle to start. By the ladle. Then omelette cooked to order.  The midgie welcoming committee in the hall was, eek, interesting.  I don't think I've ran from a control and jumped on the bike to ride off.

I took the alternative route via Helmsdale, chasing down a couple of recumbenders and for them to then gracefully power past me on the A9.  Turns out this diversion wasn't needed as Glen Loth was patched up. Oh well.

I went through my customary 2am droop on the drag to Lairg.  100bpm with the small ring, but felt like a much higher exertion.  I suspect this might have been due to overheating in my rain jacket (which I had on for warmth).  I weighed up the options of a straight through sub 20 hour ride or to kip in Lairg.  I went for the latter, as there are no medals for getting back soon.  And I wasn't looking forward to that long hill in the cold of dawn.  So I had a bowl of chilli and crashed on an inflatable mat for about 4 hours sleep.  Glad I did it as I was chipper the next day.

The last stage was a retrace of the first.  So all those downhills became uphills and vv.  Dingwall came into sight before too long, and the finish control dishes out leavie overs (more clootie and trifle) and bacon rolls.  I watched various people come in and go, and eventually wandered out myself. 

All in all, a truly magnificent weekend.  Again many thanks to all involved, both the organiser and crews, and also the riders who each added something to the mythos of the event.

« Reply #141 on: 28 July, 2015, 05:29:04 pm »
Hillbilly the best report of the lot.  thanks for compiling it
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #142 on: 28 July, 2015, 08:21:41 pm »
Yes  :thumbsup:  ^^What he said^^
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #143 on: 28 July, 2015, 09:35:20 pm »
Pasta and soup delivered to a sofa, whilst I say stripped to the waste

That's a vision I feel fortunate to have been spared. Are we sure Hummers wasn't on this ride?

« Reply #144 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:49:37 am »
Is Scotland always as cold as that in July?

« Reply #145 on: 29 July, 2015, 10:59:57 am »

Only when it's not raining
@CorbieLinnRider

Grampa

• Closest I'll get to being called a climber.
« Reply #146 on: 29 July, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
One group which came into Kildonan said that it had been 4 when they stopped at Strathy and minus 1.8 when they left. 
Clear nights can be cold but that would be below average, I'm sure (Steve C. would be the man to ask for the north.
Northern is probably the same as N.E. Scotland - summer and winter, especially winter, you routinely have to subtract several degrees from what the BBC forecast gives as the minimum.  Don't know why they do that.
Had hoped to reach Kildonan by nightfall but didn't quite make it, so suffered chilly fingers because hadn't packed gloves - never learn!   
Dee Swimmer, Dee Biker, Dee Walker

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #147 on: 29 July, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »
It was the coldest June in the Western Isles for over 40 years. Temperatures are only just reaching double figures in July.

hillbilly

« Reply #148 on: 29 July, 2015, 06:16:46 pm »
I was actually thankful it wasn't warm.  I'd anticipated getting fluids onboard in sparsely populated Sutherland would be a bitch in high summer.  And the lack of tree cover meaning heatstroke was a real possibility.  But we get good audaxing weather despite the chilly night (imho)

« Reply #149 on: 29 July, 2015, 07:22:18 pm »
What a fantastic event, topping off a superb few days cycling for me as I toured up to Dingwall, staying with Dave Crampton en-route - thanks again Dave!

Thank you so much to all the cheery volunteers keeping us fed with superb meals every few hours. The fish pie, omellette and trifle are highlights of the whole trip.

Met lots of great folk, hopefully see you all again sometime. Some photos here of my tour and the audax: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153589295648939.1073741828.776658938&type=1&l=855e59811b