Author Topic: Eliteism in Audax  (Read 16027 times)

Re: Eliteism in Audax
« Reply #125 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:50:02 pm »
Ian, that's just absurd. I mean who in their right mind would do that?!?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #126 on: 05 July, 2015, 08:57:25 pm »
Ian, that's just absurd. I mean who in their right mind would do that?!?

Actually, old chap, I'm doing similar (though less extreme) with a fixed-wheel, so no need to be disingenuous.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #127 on: 05 July, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »
Okay: what about someone who buys and rides a hundredweight of Pashley
For the curious: does it really weigh 1cwt?  I'd have though 1/2cwt more likely?
(I admit defeat here: my fixed only weighs 1/3cwt iirc, and stays mainly on the flat)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #128 on: 05 July, 2015, 10:54:48 pm »
For the curious: does it really weigh 1cwt?  I'd have though 1/2cwt more likely?
(I admit defeat here: my fixed only weighs 1/3cwt iirc, and stays mainly on the flat)

Most of the weight consists of hyperbole.

« Reply #129 on: 05 July, 2015, 11:20:17 pm »
Sadly, most of the weight consists of me :(

« Reply #130 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:55:25 am »
All the world's a stage of course.

Of the various societies I've had contact with, Audax is the most democratic. My mother was a leading light in amateur dramatics and musical comedy, and that's an interesting arena.
There are usually only a few members who can take the lead roles, and the rest of the members support them with varying degrees of approval and resentment. But it's accepted that a few talented individuals will carry a lot of the responsibility for the performance.

In events such as PBP and LEL the organisation is the show, and the riders and their supporters are the audience. At the other extreme, in the 24 hours, the stars are the 500 miles + riders, who constitute a long distance elite.

In between those two extremes, there's a choice to be made in where the attention falls. An equation with riders on one side, and media interest on the other. Riders who get attention become akin to the leading lights of the amateur stage.

Arenas such as Facebook and YACF are available to lobby for casting. On PBP the media get a list of interesting potential subjects, the oldest, the youngest, wacky bikes, that sort of thing. It helps promote coverage of the event.

If you've come to Audax because you like the lack of competition, and the absence of Prima Donnas, then this is a bad time to assess the purity of that vision, because all the exhibitionists are in full display. There used to be a four year cycle in such activity, but media attention to cycling has upset that.

It's also increasingly uncertain as to what part of Audax is the most interesting, with a bit of a contest between mass participation and individual adventure.

« Reply #131 on: 10 July, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »
Horam for Mad Jack...
Is slipping Latin puns elitist?

Hi Hellymedic,

A little bird mentioned this thread,  for the record, Mad Jacks starts in Hailsham. The Adredswald 100 / 200 from the last century start was first in East Hoathly, then later from Horam and the last event was run by Mr Meads from Uckfield..

Bests  :-*
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #132 on: 10 July, 2015, 09:19:27 pm »
Waves!

Latin might bee seen as elitist but this thread just recalls Latin grammar...

Hic haec hoc..

...Horum harum horum
his his his
His his his...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #133 on: 12 July, 2015, 06:27:09 pm »

As someone who once deadlifted 200 kg (elitist moi?  ;) )  I an confirm it weighs an effing tonne.

*The bike I mean, I wasn't offered the opportunity to lift Wobbly himself.... next time.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #134 on: 12 July, 2015, 09:53:10 pm »
*The bike I mean, I wasn't offered the opportunity to lift Wobbly himself.... next time.

I was 89kg and, in an effort to lose weight for PBP, now weigh 91kg :(

« Reply #135 on: 12 July, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
I don't doubt it's all muscle.

« Reply #136 on: 13 July, 2015, 06:41:37 am »
Well, if it's muscle, it's Wobbly muscle...

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #137 on: 13 July, 2015, 07:48:04 am »
I dream of being only 91 kg  :P
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #138 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:00:42 am »

The greater your weight the more your maximum potential power output.  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #139 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:37:36 am »

The greater your weight the more your maximum potential power output.  :smug:

The guy with large mass AND strong Leg Flexors has 'maximum potential power output'.