Author Topic: Audax acheivements big and small.  (Read 9628 times)

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
Audax acheivements big and small.
« on: 30 June, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »
I thought that it would be good to have thread where people can write about their achievements and get a thumbs-up, pat-on-the-back, and general well done from other like minded Audaxers.

What have you done and why are you proud of it? :thumbsup:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

Re: Audax acheivements big and small.
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2015, 06:21:59 am »
RATTY X 5.  Made up of 60 consecutive months at 1 per month.   
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2015, 07:37:54 am »
I stooped down to relieve myself in a cattle field once and got a 'pat-on-the-back'.  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2015, 08:42:07 am »
RATTY X 5.  Made up of 60 consecutive months at 1 per month.   

Chapeau
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:26:58 am »
I've done more than most, but see the riding as testament to the amount of free time I've had and a worryingly obsessive trait.  Nothing to be particularly proud of.

I'm actually more proud of the events I organise, the help I've given to other organisers and the encouragement I think I've given to some members to achieve their goals (both on rides and outside of them).  It's the community of long-distance cyclists that we've created, and of which I've played a small part, that makes me feel all warm and tingly when I think back.

Feel free to be sick...

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:34:02 am »
I've done more than most, but see the riding as testament to the amount of free time I've had and a worryingly obsessive trait.  Nothing to be particularly proud of.

I'm actually more proud of the events I organise, the help I've given to other organisers and the encouragement I think I've given to some members to achieve their goals (both on rides and outside of them).  It's the community of long-distance cyclists that we've created, and of which I've played a small part, that makes me feel all warm and tingly when I think back.

Feel free to be sick...

Well done to hillbilly and all of our organisers. a  :thumbsup: from me.

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
This year I have been more interested in audax and less interested in the club runs. I completed my first, and to date my only, 200 Km in March. That remains my longest ride but because of it I have felt able to plan entry into another couple and also a long solo ride. Even started looking at what I can do next year (next year!). I think that the 200k ride in itself is not that great but more importantly it has shown me I can do it and I have the confidence to do more.

I have just spent a little time working out my Eddington Number. Hmmmm, that is not a lot. I have done 59 rides of 54 miles or more but only 53 greater than 55 miles. My number therefore is 54. That sounds really pretty poor although I am not sure it is.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:56:15 am »
Likewise, Hillbilly, I do feel more pride in the events I've organised than those ridden. Possibly excepting those when I managed to finish when the weather was appalling ['Rainsham' 600 2007, PBP 2007, LEL 2009,  BCM...erm, most of them...] or when I stupidly rode when unwell.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2015, 10:29:42 am »
I am another who has a reasonable riding history   ( ie 9 consecutive  SRs so far starting at 65 )   but in truth I have got the most satisfaction from putting something back in to say thank you to all the organisers and volunteers who have put on the rides for me.

I am afraid that the only contribution so far has been doing the LEL 2013 money side -- but all being well I am in for 2017 -- so those two events will be  something I am proud of.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2015, 11:02:04 am »
Insanely proud to have completed my first SR series this year.  Eddington number currently 83, with 85 within reach this calendar year. Still more proud though of my LEJOG than any other on-bike achievement.
Eddington Number = 132

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »
Starting with very little fitness, I've completed 6 100s so far this year, and all but one of them without knee pain.

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:33:54 pm »
Every Audax started has been finished, (though not always in time).

Over a hundred of them so far. No matter how bad it got, weather mechanicals, riding alone for large portions, I have never once quit. (including riding in that January that was extended to February).

« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:41:47 pm »
being only in my second season I still get a lot of satisfaction out of pretty much every ride.

RRTY, PBP Qualification and Finishing the Bryan Chapman and the general improvement in fitness which leads to more enjoyment are probably my highlights as it currently stands.

Being on course for 50 points this season is the one that I currently have in my sights!

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2015, 12:54:41 pm »
 I've stuck at long-distance for over 20 years.

« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:13:14 pm »
Completing every calendar event Audax I`ve started (and all DIY bar 2 due to mechanicals), discovering that 200 / 300 are perfectly within my remit to complete `comfortably` and (so far to date, this may change in August  :facepalm:) not having to push myself to absolute limit.

In 2016 I`d like to finish every event I enter, as I`ve had a few DNS, particularly in winter so it`ll be a weather challenge year to choose 2016 entries sensibly and stick with them.   :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:17:03 pm »
I learnt how not to be scared of hills.   :thumbsup:

I was REALLY scared of hills when I started  ;D
Does not play well with others

« Reply #16 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:27:32 pm »

I reckon you positively welcome and embrace them now  ;D---or was Mille Cymru not hilly ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #17 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »
Started riding the longer distances in 2010 & have now completed 6 x SR series with a different 600k in all of them  :)

I rode LeJoG as a Brevet Randonneur 1400k in 2010, PBP in 2011, LEL in 2013 (as team Doris helping Danial to raise money for Doris Banham's dog rescue centre) & I've managed 1 RRTY  :facepalm:

Currently working my way to a Brevet 25,000 :thumbsup:

I've also been 1st back on the 2 battles 200k a couple of times, the lumpy scrumpy 100k & the West & Midland 400k (last back the following year though)  :facepalm:

Edit:  Good thread btw - it's good to see what people have done or are doing.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #18 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:48:59 pm »
3 x SR in 3 seasons.

First one is my proudest as I was only six months into cycling at all when I started (barring minor dabbling earlier in life).

Final one (this season) is second proudest since I hit some sort of weird DNF wall this year and had to battle to get it done.  Partly fitness related having been ill for a long chunk of last year at the end and partly keeping motivation going.

I reached my limit last year trying a grimpeur too far - I REALLY am not built for hills.  I hope I don't find a distance limit this year at PBP, but distance step ups are always a leap into the unknown.  Those are part of the attraction for me, what am I capable of?
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #19 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:52:43 pm »
I've done about 100 Audax events so far, so I reckon on average that's 300 controls and about 500 helpers who've provided support (some have been perms and some have had many helpers).  But I led the team that fed well over 1000 covers at Barnard Castle on LEL last time and have signed up to do the catering at another control for 2017 so that will just about keep me in credit  :smug:

Personal achievement - completing the Mille Alba with only one day off work (Sleeper to Inverkeithing on Thursday night for Friday morning start, ride 1000km, Sleeper from Inverkeithing on Sunday night, work on Monday) is probably my most audacious one.   8)   Completing the Brimstone nursing a Campylobacter infection with a toilet roll nicked from the overnight control in case of emergencies  :sick: was probably my toughest one.

But the one that sticks in my mind is someone who sent me a Cambrian 2E Brevet Card with a finish time of 13 hours and 37 minutes, knowing that the last leg went from Llanidloes to Bala, with a wet night ascent of Bwlch-y-Groes (2.6km at 14.6%) to do when hard up against the time limit.   :o :o :o :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #20 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:52:58 pm »
I like the thought that once a 'Super Randonneur' always a 'Super Randonneur'.

At the moment I'm most proud that I took a conscious decision to NOT work towards PBP.

It was a hard decision, I really wanted to ride it but chose not to because my family isn't behind me (for health reasons - and very good reasons at that). So to ride PBP would have meant doing it without my family's blessing - and being selfish. Taking the decision to put my family first in the face of deep temptation reassures me that I'm not showing the characteristics of an addict.

So basically I'm pleased that I enjoy audax but I'm not addicted to it. Its still just a 'jolly good' bike ride. One day, when all is well, I would still like to do PBP and LEL. (So there is something else to post in this thread eventually.)

« Reply #21 on: 01 July, 2015, 01:55:44 pm »

Please share !!!  As a new audaxer, and new cyclist for that matter, I am much more scared of hills than I am of distance.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #22 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »
Wow, I seem to have struck a chord. I know that most of my friends have no idea about the relative acheivements of my audax rides so it is nice to have a place to be able to have that little moment (in good company) to recognise when you have acheived your Audaxing goals. It is interesting to hear what poeple are most proud of - not always the longest distances.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #23 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

Please share !!!  As a new audaxer, and new cyclist for that matter, I am much more scared of hills than I am of distance.

The secret is- just go out and ride hills
After you've done a few thousand they aren't a problem
Then do the K&SW 600

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #24 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:40:55 pm »

It helps if you are a whippet.  I will never not be scared of hills at >100 kg.  Even if I get lean I will still be too heavy to do anything but endure it.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.