Author Topic: Hedgebanger AKA Ian Dixon, Longtown, Cumbria  (Read 2345 times)

Hedgebanger AKA Ian Dixon, Longtown, Cumbria
« on: 17 July, 2015, 11:09:24 pm »
It is my very sad duty to tell you that Ian Dixon died last Friday while on a cycle ride. He died suddenly and instantly from a massive heart attack. He was 61.

I first met Ian many years ago and like many on here had cycled with him on many audax events, especially those Scottish events starting in Galashiels. Ian was a chatterbox - and I say that affectionately, he was good company on any ride and fairly helped the kilometres fly past. He had organised cycle events, most notably for us was his Clarten ower Caldbeck 200km from Longtown. Ian also helped organise a charity ride - Cycle the Solway took place on Sunday, two days after he died. He rode PBP in 2007 (and finished, in time!) and helped at LEL.

I met up with Ian again when I was riding a Galashiels event late last year when Ian was acting as controller. We agreed then to revisit Eskdalemuir one day, which we did, and Ian proposed we organise a social ride. I suggested Ian take us to Bewcastle on roads he was familiar with.

The day was last Friday and due to circumstances, only myself and Archieboy were able to ride. We met at Ian's farmhouse and he led us on a scenic and interesting route to Newcastleton. We had lunch there and set off for Bewcastle. We climbed gradually until we came to the top of a steep descent where we took our jackets off and had a breather. Ian warned us of the descent and equally steep ascent on the other side. He said in that typical cyclists' 'I'm not that fit, I haven't been out much' way that he would be walking the steepest bits. We descended quickly, took the bridge over the Kershope Burn that marks the border of Scotland and England and immediately started climbing. Archie and I wheezed our way up and waited at the top for Ian. He was never coming so we retraced to near the foot of the climb  only to find Ian lying on the grass at the roadside. He was already dead, his bicycle lying on top of him.

Friday 10th July 2015 was one of the saddest days of my life and one that Archie and I will never forget. But it was also a happy day - Ian was in good spirits, he was happy, he died doing what he loved, without pain or suffering and in such a beautiful spot that no-one could plan it better.

Yesterday, Archie and I took Ian's family to visit the site where he died and explain to them how it it had all happened. Yes, there were tears, obviously, but lots of smiles too as we all stood in the sunshine and talked about Ian, his daughters recounting happy stories about their dad. Ian was 'one of the good guys' in so many ways. He will be badly missed, painfully so by his wife and family.

Ian's funeral will be held at the church of Kirkandrews on Esk next Wednesday, 22nd July at 3.00pm. This is a beautiful little church set in a field just off the A7 to the north of Longtown - very near the border where Ian lived, died and will be buried. He will rest in peace.

Re: Hedgebanger AKA Ian Dixon, Longtown, Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:18:59 pm »
Innes - that's a sad story, but wonderful words. You do him, and yourself, great credit.

I only met Ian a couple of times. The last time was at the end of Marcus's Friday night ride to Newcastle, where there were a few newer riders complaining about the hills, and Ian just sat back with a knowing smile which said that there'd been a great tailwind all the way, but he wasn't going to take the shine off their ride by saying it.

A sad loss.

« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2015, 08:12:53 am »
This is indeed very sad news. From the anecdotes I've heard Ian was a super chap.

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

Rest in peace Ian.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2015, 09:59:34 am »
Sad news, sorry to hear this. Worked with him at the Brampton control on LEL. Great guy.

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:17:38 am »
That's very sad.  You have written so movingly at an awful time.

Thank you.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:44:48 am »
Sad news. :(

Ian organised my first ever audax, the lovely Clarten Owwer Caldbeck. When I rang him to tell him I'd be (very) late back, he first needed persuading not to hang around for the long time after to make sure I was back, and then organised for the caretaker to look after me. It was great to see him again on the Carlisle night ride, as Deano describes, he rode with an air of experience and good humour, and was great company on the road.

Thank you innersh for your moving and well chosen words.

My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2015, 10:59:52 pm »
I met Ian a couple of times. A really lovely guy. Thank you, Innes, for your moving words.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2015, 11:46:05 pm »
My sincere condolences to Ian's family and friends.

And my thanks to innesh for posting the sad news here but in such an elegant way.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2015, 12:11:49 am »
Tribute and report in the local newspaper:

http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/news/tributes-to-cyclist-who-died-training-for-charity-fundraising-event-1.1222943#

Very sad indeed and like IanG I worked with him at the Brampton control on LEL.

megajoulesexpenditure

« Reply #9 on: 19 July, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »
Many thanks Innesh for your lovely words.

We'll miss him more as time goes by.At the moment it's hard to fully realise he's gone. Always cheery and smiling.We last saw him when he helped at Eskdalemuir on the Moffat Toffee this year. I am putting together something for the Arrivee magazine to remember him if anyone has any photos/stories/memories of him they can send me.

Bairn Again

« Reply #10 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:55:23 pm »
very sad news Innes. 

I recall Ian from PBP and assorted borders events, Ian was always ready for a blether and was one of those guys who always seemed to be enjoying it.  He was also a great source of help when I put on the Edinburgh - Preston - Edinburgh 600km event and the Berwick & Beattock 400s - both events went through his patch and his local knowledge was invaluable.

Your account of last Fridays events and your subsequent visit to the scene does Ians memory proud.     

Graeme

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:25:47 am »
My condolences to Ian's family.

Moving words Innes
@CorbieLinnRider

flyingscot

• Frae a' wur Guid Nychburris
    • CTC Dumfries and Galloway
« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2015, 01:13:16 pm »
Innes, very fine words indeed. Yesterday's funeral Service was a wonderful tribute to Ian. The picturesque, historical  St Andrews Church "Kirkandrews", full to capacity with family and friends.

Our association with Ian was through cycling but this is the family  Notice which appeared in the Cumberland News & Star.

Beloved husband and best friend of Doreen, much loved father of Stephanie, Rachael and Helen, father-in-law of Craig, adored grandpa of Isabella and Francesca, dearly loved son of Isa and the late John, loving brother to Joyce, Sheila and Will, a dear brother-in-law and friend of many. Funeral service to be held at Kirkandrews-on-Esk Church on Wednesday, 22nd July at 3.00pm, followed by interment in the churchyard. Family flowers only please, donations, if so desired, to Cycle the Solway (in aid of Eden Valley Hospice and Jigsaw Appeal) c/o Nicholsons Funeral Directors, Bank House, Longtown. Tel. 01228 791098

I cycled with Ian many times, and was his Mentor for the Clairten Ower Caldbeck 200. During the rece ride for this event, I remember Ian telling me about his ideas for a Charity Ride/"Sportive" which came into being as the "Cycle the Solway" and has raised much for 2 Charities.

I have many photos of Ian ridding my Ower the Edge 400, Guid Nychburris 200 300 events, but this is a favourite -  Ian riding Ower the Edge - May 2006

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dandgcycling/19946007751/in/dateposted-public/

Tom  **END**
Tom Hanley
Albany House
26 Nunholm Road
DUMFRIES
Scotland DG1 1JW

+44 (0)1387 261969

« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:00:45 pm »
I'm so sorry to read this.  I only met Ian a couple of times, but as you say, he was good company, and gave me encouragement when I needed it. 

I was also riding behind him and witnessed the incident which gave rise to his forum name of "Hedgebanger".

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2015, 08:08:56 pm »
Thanks so much Innes, Dad would have been honoured to hear such wonderful words. It is nice to come here and read my Dad's comments. :-)

In his memory to help his fund raising effort for Cycle the Solway I have set up a page here: https://www.justgiving.com/RK-Dixon i know a lot of you entered so made ypur contribution by cycling, but if you want to donate please feel free. I believe there will be a memorial ride of some description in the future. I will of course keep you updated! Rachael