Author Topic: "Your lights are shining in my eyes"  (Read 6939 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: "Your lights are shining in my eyes"
« Reply #50 on: 18 October, 2015, 08:47:44 pm »
Also has interesting things about why badgers are especially liable to road deaths; their instinct is to turn and face the danger head on to fight it off. "Almost all badgers found dead on the road have been struck in the head or neck."

Interesting.  Though I always thought the prevalence of dead badgers was more a case of them smelling so bad that nothing wants to eat them.   :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 18 October, 2015, 08:55:31 pm »
Surely they're smelly cos they're being eaten by bacteria... Anyway, next dead badger I see I'm gonna check it's head and neck. Maybe. It certainly seems to make sense that fighty badgers would react in this way and that could account for their being far more common than roadkill foxes, for example.

Back to headlights, I remember that in certain Indian forests it's illegal to use main beam so as not to dazzle (and therefore hit) tigers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #52 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »
Surely they're smelly cos they're being eaten by bacteria... Anyway, next dead badger I see I'm gonna check it's head and neck. Maybe. It certainly seems to make sense that fighty badgers would react in this way and that could account for their being far more common than roadkill foxes, for example.

Back to headlights, I remember that in certain Indian forests it's illegal to use main beam so as not to dazzle (and therefore hit) tigers.

Tygers should easy to see. Just ask William Blake.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 19 October, 2015, 07:36:57 am »
Obviously badgers should be subject to a mandatory helmet law :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:40:39 am »
Obviously badgers should be subject to a mandatory helmet law :demon:
And gloves.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #55 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:12:14 am »
It's not bike lights, it's that stupid jogger with hi retina-searing headtorch. I think he got it for Xmuss last year cos he started using it in January. It's obviously dark enough in the mornings for him to start using it again. Every weekday morning he follows the same route at the same time - under streetlights all the way. Why the <whatever> does he need a headtorch which, when switched on, causes people on Proxima Centauri to point to the heavens and say "Look. A new star has appeared".
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #56 on: 20 October, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »
A guy in a van once stopped me in a lane early evening to say that my lights were "too bright and shining in his eyes"

The light in question was a B&M Cyo 60 lux version so it was reasonably bright but not as bright as a dipped headlight.  Also B&M lights tend to try and put all the light on the road instead of up in the trees or the eyes of car drivers.  After a brief exchange of views we went on our way

Afterwards, I realized that on that lane there is a very slight slope so where I was coming from was downhill (slightly) from the van.  So this would raise the angle of the beam a small amount.  Add this to the van driver being a dick and that's the situation explained
That is interesting as I get that with my car lights, my car has self levellers and there is a railway bridge near home where if I meet traffic coming the other way quite often they think I have my lights on main beam as they are lower than me therefore getting an eye full of dipped beam.

B&M lights (the ones I have) have excellent beams which do indeed have a cut off to stop dazzling.
Eddington Number 75