Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 77358 times)

Re: A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #350 on: 09 November, 2015, 12:18:59 pm »
AFAIK someone setup his Garmin to automatically upload via his mobile phone. I think that's why his Strava is littered with short rides, each time he presses stop he uploads.

its only after you save a ride it uploads,

the 510 he's using has an option to discard or save when you press stop, quite why he's saving when it says 0.0m, i don't know but a lot of the shorter ones of that actually have distance appear to be too and from the train station, which make more sense,

no idea when on and out and back along the bay he's resetting at one end though

someones asked the question on his FB, maybe he'll reply

What is a WR pace day? Is it the average 205 miles (75075/365) or is it what Tommy did on the equivalent day of his attempt? Where can we see a record of your total miles of this, your third, attempt?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #351 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
AFAIK someone setup his Garmin to automatically upload via his mobile phone. I think that's why his Strava is littered with short rides, each time he presses stop he uploads.

the 510 he's using has an option to discard or save when you press stop, quite why he's saving when it says 0.0m, i don't know but a lot of the shorter ones of that actually have distance appear to be too and from the train station, which make more sense,

What is a WR pace day? Is it the average 205 miles (75075/365) or is it what Tommy did on the equivalent day of his attempt? Where can we see a record of your total miles of this, your third, attempt?

Yes, that was me, Dan. I've asked questions before without reply! I'm probably seen as subversive, but really all I'm trying to do is understand WTF this effort is all about.

Seconded on the Garmin thing too - I have an Edge 1000 and a Vivoactive, both of which work the same way. They'll autostop for breaks, and will do automatic tracking via a mobile if you want, but nothing gets saved till you hit 'save'. I can understand a degree of paranoia prompting a save at every stop (especially if rides have been lost in the past), but carrying a second Garmin would perhaps obviate that issue. Steve and Kurt seem to have cracked it, why not Miles?

« Reply #352 on: 09 November, 2015, 04:33:20 pm »

Yes, that was me, Dan. I've asked questions before without reply! I'm probably seen as subversive, but really all I'm trying to do is understand WTF this effort is all about.

Seconded on the Garmin thing too - I have an Edge 1000 and a Vivoactive, both of which work the same way. They'll autostop for breaks, and will do automatic tracking via a mobile if you want, but nothing gets saved till you hit 'save'. I can understand a degree of paranoia prompting a save at every stop (especially if rides have been lost in the past), but carrying a second Garmin would perhaps obviate that issue. Steve and Kurt seem to have cracked it, why not Miles?

I use a 510 and upload via my mobile so yes, presumably he's hitting "Stop" then "Save" and then it uploads. TBF it's not entirely clear on the 510 that you can continue a ride once you press stop by navigating off of the "Discard/Save" screen and/or by pressing "Start".

TimC

« Reply #353 on: 09 November, 2015, 04:57:09 pm »
Yes, that may be a reason he's saving each time - I learned (very quickly) by experimenting that a Garmin recording can be resumed if you've stopped it by pressing 'start' again. But perhaps Miles is a bit intimidated by the tech? He wouldn't be the first - or last.

« Reply #354 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:28:27 am »
Miles posted that a friend had been killed (car/bike accident). He's obviously really hit hard by this, says he won't be posting messages for a while.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #355 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:02:14 am »
From Miles' Facebook for those that don't:

2AM Monday morning saw flicking through a well thumbed Sunday newspaper, whilst eating my burger. I read that a cyclist had been killed, the driver of a 4 wheel drive had been arrested and the location was where a well known and loved Audax ride was taking place over the weekend.
This was how I found out the Jimmy Chant had been killed.
I rode with Jimmy in Queensland, NSW and of course Victoria.
I'll not be posting anything more for a couple of days.

Very sad indeed and just an awful way to find out about a friend's death.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #356 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:46:31 am »
From Miles' Facebook:

I read that a cyclist had been killed ...

Bloody hell. 

Every one of us has near misses.  Commiserations to family and friends.  Especially to the friend tackling the HAMR.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #357 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:56:47 am »
Crumbs.  What a traumatic event to have to deal with.  Hope Miles is OK.
Getting there...

« Reply #358 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:53:29 am »
My sincere condolences to Jimmy's family and friends.

TimC

« Reply #359 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:03:28 am »
Not good at all. I'm not surprised he's knocked for six. Chin up, Miles. And condolences to Jimmy's close ones.

red marley

« Reply #360 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:41:57 am »
Miles' ride on Sunday has now been uploaded on Strava (previously this was down as a no-ride day). It is possible that there may be a few others that get uploaded out of sequence several days or more after the event, which may in part explain the discrepancy between logged distances and Miles' self-reporting. It's too tedious for me to wade back through Strava looking for previously unlogged rides and there is some uncertainty as to whether UMCA would accept them anyway, so I will wait until the next batch of officially recorded distances from them before comparing with my own record.

« Reply #361 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:05:29 pm »
Sort of badly distorts the Strava weekly stats though, with 541 miles and 15 rides on this weeks leader board.

(I know thats not important in the bigger picture),

Sincere condolences to the family of the rider wiped out by the 4x4.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #362 on: 16 November, 2015, 09:41:19 am »
From Miles' Facebook:

Due to recent events, the compounding effects of prior problems, and discussion with my support team, I have decided to pull out of the HAM'R.

I wish the remaining competitors, and new competitors due to start in the new year, a good tailwind and thanks to all who boosted my sometimes flagging efforts with your messages of support and goodwill.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

TimC

« Reply #363 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:18:04 am »
Sad to read, but perhaps inevitable. I hope Miles can regroup, have a good think about how to organise and plan a credible attempt and have another go - there's no doubt in my mind he's capable of riding the incredible distances required; he just needs the organisation and target awareness to add to the ability.

« Reply #364 on: 16 November, 2015, 12:26:26 pm »
^ Indeed.  Miles is to be applauded on his tenacity on the bike in the face of considerable difficulties.   :thumbsup:

That such a capable rider has put in such a physically impressive performance but still fallen so far short of the record is affirmation, if any more were needed, of how amazing Tommy's, Kurt's and Steve's achievements are.
It would be great to see Miles gather together the collective learnings of all the HAM'R experiences to give this another shot sometime.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #365 on: 16 November, 2015, 02:00:11 pm »
Sad to hear, but I understand his decision.
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #366 on: 16 November, 2015, 04:04:56 pm »
Often I hear people being congratulated for finishing an event, and then the participants who failed to finish are also congratulated for "giving it a go".  Normally this rings hollow - in this case I whole heartedly applaud Miles for his valiant attempt at one hell of a challenge.

Re Legs post: In all probability Miles will see your post.  If you would not feel comfortable with showing him a picture of this IRL, then maybe consider removing.

« Reply #367 on: 16 November, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
It's gone, although judging by what I've read of his posts here and on Facetube I'd credit him with sufficient robustness and good humour to see it in the manner intended.

red marley

« Reply #368 on: 16 November, 2015, 05:19:56 pm »
Possibly. But just as it is hard for all of us to picture exactly what any of the OYTT riders are going through given the scale of the challenge, it may be difficult to appreciate what having to give up the challenge after months of sacrifice must feel like. Additionally, Miles received bad news about a cycling friend of his who was killed on the road last week, so he must be going through quite a lot at the moment.

I hope he knows we all wish him well and remain in awe of what he has achieved in the last 8 months.

« Reply #369 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:04:17 pm »
+1

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #370 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:55:08 pm »
Very sad to hear. Understandable perhaps given recent developments.

If Miles decides to try again at some point, I'm sure we will be here to cheer him on.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #371 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:03:54 pm »
Very sad to hear. Understandable perhaps given recent developments.

If Miles decides to try again at some point, I'm sure we will be here to cheer him on.

Yup.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #372 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:25:25 pm »
It's gone.

Thanks.  I really don't like to be that super sensitive internet guy, but appreciate your gesture nonetheless.

« Reply #373 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:38:46 pm »
Shame but understandable. Hopefully he will give it another go at some point having gained from the experience of this/these attempt/s. He's had a tough time with roads, health, mechanicals and weather.