Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119182 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #325 on: 07 January, 2019, 05:04:37 pm »
How busy is the road through Goldhanger? I might go that way for Veloviewer reasons :)

As a single rider or small group Tolleshunt D'Arcy through Goldhanger is OK. The road is effectively "the coast road", and some of the drivers are not sensible about overtaking on blind bends - no different to any other roads, but this road has some long sequences of bends. Summer months are a lot worse with static caravan owners from London in a hurry.

I ride it regularly, including in rush hour on the way home, as a well lit solo rider. Only been taken off by a truck once on a weekday middle of day ride (a few years ago).
It would be the icy conditions route as the road is gritted, but the 'official' route is much nicer to ride for the reasons BFC states :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #326 on: 11 January, 2019, 02:35:37 pm »
How busy is the road through Goldhanger? I might go that way for Veloviewer reasons :)

I might see you there, for the same reason  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #327 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:56:42 pm »
Good route (especially the post Tollesbury bit), windy but that's better than icy. Cheers ACME :)

Did the grumpy Italian who thought the route would be signposted make it back to base?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #328 on: 12 January, 2019, 06:38:02 pm »
Well that was a washout :(

On the climb out of Earl's Colne, I felt my right pedal move. A quick look showed that the thread in the crank was giving up the ghost. No idea why it happened then - I've had that crankset and pedals since I built the bike up in 2006. Don't think I've ever even taken them apart. Serves me right really - by that point, I'd already passed four or five groups of riders fixing various mechanicals, mainly punctures, and was feeling smug because I'd come out on a nice, reliable tourer with heavier tyres :-[

Thanks to all the riders who asked if I was OK, but there was nothing to do but limp back to the start on one leg, pedalling ever such a little with the other. Just as I reached the pub, the pedal came completely out of the crank, so I literally rode on one leg from Liverpool Street to Kings Cross.

When I got home, I also found the reason for my riding position feeling slightly odd - a broken saddle rail in my Team Professional. So I'm waiting for things to come in threes and something else to go...

« Reply #329 on: 12 January, 2019, 08:28:06 pm »
Excellent ride out - I could have done without the post-Mersea headwind though!

My first audax on an MTB - I don't think I'd have been much faster on a different bike, and it was perfect for the river path at the end.

The weirdest moment was encountering two women on horses who'd been cornered by a curious escaped dog. Did anyone see how this situation was resolved?

« Reply #330 on: 13 January, 2019, 11:16:24 am »
Another good ACME day out with The Straggler, left after 10am and missed all of the queues later on. Did our usual and doubted the routesheet, doubling back in Fingringhoe 100 metres round the corner from the correct junction, added 3k. A very friendly attractive young lady at the oyster bar, I gave Raymond my oyster and off we set into the windy section which was a bit of a drag.

Arrived just after 5.30pm, Raymond was hungry and decided not to complete the ECE, so we chilled out with food and drink at the pub. The angry Italian was there, came to the Controllers table looking for the free Arrivee magazine, muttered something unintelligible and threw it down, as Italians do.We conceded Lanterne Rouge today, we were about an hour faster than the last man despite our detours.

On the way out of the pub witnessed some drunk locals abusing the landlady, they were drinking their own alcohol in her car park and she asked them to leave. Called her many unacceptable things and threatened to beat her up, hope they get what they deserve one day. The car screamed out of the parking space in reverse towards me, fortunately for them they stopped well short of the Big Saxon.

One Winter Series to go for the next badge, see you all then.   

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #331 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:51:27 pm »
Well, what an extremely busy and successful 'jewel in the crown' ACME Anvil Winter Series ride that was!  Thanks Ted and extended team of AUK notiarieties on the day for your processing of such a large field (mostly with low levels of stress  ;D )

So, now thoughts turn to the ultimate ride in the series - The Knights Templar Compasses - Saturday 2nd February.
There will be a helpers' ride to offer sacrifices to the weather gods on Saturday 26th January, starting 10am from Witham 'spoons.  There will probably be breakfast between 9 and 10.  If anyone is interested in joining the helpers' ride and able to offer assistance on the 2nd Feb please let me know via the usual communication methods.

I have had an entry request from a 16-year-young lad wanting to dip his toe in to the slippery slope world of Audax.  He'll be riding without parental supervision, although permission will be given.  My request is to anyone riding to please introduce yourself to him, offer a friendly face, and watch him disappear in to the distance like the racing whippet he probably is.  But if he does happen to ride at a similar pace please show him the ropes of Audax.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #332 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:55:59 pm »
Well, what an extremely busy and successful 'jewel in the crown' ACME Anvil Winter Series ride that was!  Thanks Ted and extended team of AUK notiarieties on the day for your processing of such a large field (mostly with low levels of stress  ;D )

So, now thoughts turn to the ultimate ride in the series - The Knights Templar Compasses - Saturday 2nd February.
There will be a helpers' ride to offer sacrifices to the weather gods on Saturday 26th January, starting 10am from Witham 'spoons.  There will probably be breakfast between 9 and 10.  If anyone is interested in joining the helpers' ride and able to offer assistance on the 2nd Feb please let me know via the usual communication methods.

I have had an entry request from a 16-year-young lad wanting to dip his toe in to the slippery slope world of Audax.  He'll be riding without parental supervision, although permission will be given.  My request is to anyone riding to please introduce yourself to him, offer a friendly face, and watch him disappear in to the distance like the racing whippet he probably is.  But if he does happen to ride at a similar pace please show him the ropes of Audax.

26th Jan helpers solves some logistical issues I have on the event day - so happy to ride and help on the main day :)
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #333 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:00:14 pm »
I did not enjoy that  :(

Okay, let's be clear — I did enjoy the event, the oyster, chatting with the women in the shack who were there last year, too (owner's daughters, in fact), riding with a few friends, the route (generally), etc.  :thumbsup:

But that f!cking wind and my f!cking Christmas Legs put paid to any cycling enjoyment!  It was a lot of pain and discomfort, once I'd got the first 100km out of the way.  And the complete lack of power in my legs, coupled with that headwind on the return, meant I didn't get home until after 2am!  :o

Still, I managed to bag 70 squares and went from 18x18 to 21x21  :smug:

Thanks to Tedshred, Ted's daughter, the honourable Herman Ramsey, and Carlosfandango, [EDIT] and Redlight and J Sabine, too, for running and helping on the event, and to the landlord and their team for looking after us at the end  :thumbsup:

Ride report and photos on Strava, here.

UPDATE: everything still hurts over 36 hours after I finished, and I can't stop eating, which is not normal for me  :(
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #334 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »
Mostly I was riding with the BFC, Deano and Mr Regan, a bit with other ACME stalwarts, the Grumpy [confused?] Italian and others as well. BFC's mission to tick off pubs on the MAD [Maldon And Dengie] CAMRA Ale Trail delayed and diverted us, in a good way I think ... hoovered up more than one oyster and some French bread at a draughty picnic table on Mersea - that, plus an energy drink or two, some crisps and an emergency cream egg got me back to the start.

Chapeau to Grey Sheep for continuing after the diesel induced 'off'. Tubeless sealant was helpfully suggested [by someone who shall remain nameless] for stopping the bleeding ...

Good to see Herman, Redlight and jsabine, keeping busy on office duties along with Tedshred of course and Ms Shred too.

« Reply #335 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:05:40 pm »

Okay, let's be clear — I did enjoy the event, the oyster, chatting with the women in the shack who were there last year, too (owner's daughters, in fact), riding with a few friends, the route (generally), etc.  :thumbsup:

But that f!cking wind and my f!cking Christmas Legs put paid to any cycling enjoyment!  It was a lot of pain and discomfort, once I'd got the first 100km out of the way.  And the complete lack of power in my legs, coupled with that headwind on the return, meant I didn't get home until after 2am!  :o

Thanks to Tedshred, Ted's daughter, the honourable Herman Ramsey, and Carlosfandango for running and helping on the event, and to the landlord and their team for looking after us at the end  :thumbsup:

We had strong headwind in the Cotswolds too, and I didn’t get home until 3:15 (1 1/2 hours at the arrivee ‘spoons played a part in that).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #336 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:37:08 pm »
Kelvedon Oyster 2019

Third time doing the Kelvedon Oyster for me, coincidently it is also the first Audax I ever did, so it will always be special.

Left the Railway Tavern just after 10 with Tom, Ian, Grant, Andy, Chris and Jan. As usual Jan was straight up the front and gone! The rest of us took a more leisurely pace. Unfortunately though we soon caught up with Jan as there was a disel spillage on the road, thankfully no serious injuries and Jan was abe to continue.

We got to Pebmarsh and Carl stamped our cards and then on the first pub stop at Rowhedge. During this stage we lost Grant and Andy. The wind was with us, which made for easy going and time for the first pub stop at Rowhedge. Whilst there a guy in shorts, a blue jacket and a distinct accent (we though was Polish, but we could be wrong) approached and said he didn't have a route sheet, map or any other navigation and wanted to tag along with us.

As we left we bumped into Andy and Grant, stopped to say hi and lost our new 'friend'. Moving on to Mersea island, I always like the road going to the island and waving to those that have already controlled there and are on their way back. Quick stop at Mersea, I didn't have the oyster but the cup of tea was welcome and I bought a slice of cake to each on the bench in the cold wind!

Next stop was into the wind to the King's Head in Tollesbury, thankfully though it wasn't cold as long as you kept moving. A quick drink and a packet of crisps and we were on our way to Heybridge Basin.

Once there we bumped into our 'Polish' friend and told him to follow us back to base. We were going to go off route and avoid the canal path. Somewhere between there and the arrivee we lost him! Anyway I was looking forward to getting back as I was starving and had spied out the red thai curry on the menu before we left.

Another good ride, so thanks again to the ACME guys, looking forward to the next one.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #337 on: 14 January, 2019, 05:30:10 pm »

Thanks to Tedshred, Ted's daughter, the honourable Herman Ramsey, and Carlosfandango, [EDIT] and Redlight and J Sabine, too, for running and helping on the event, and to the landlord and their team for looking after us at the end  :thumbsup:

UPDATE: everything still hurts over 36 hours after I finished, and I can't stop eating, which is not normal for me  :(

if it proceeds to "can't stop drinking, can't stop peeing, and losing weight hand over fist", call your doctor. DAHIKT.

Glad it seems to have been a good ride, I seem to remember this as by far the coldest of last year's series.  I'm hoping to be ready for the Knight's Templar in three weeks.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #338 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:45:20 am »

Carl is off on a Psychlist bootcamp ( Ha! ;D) to do the hills and Mills on the 26th - I am not ready for that much climbing - so I can ride the helpers' ride (avoiding a repeat of last time's "intimate" encounter of wheels by the post box at Littley Green) and help on the actual ride day.

« Reply #339 on: 16 January, 2019, 12:44:43 pm »
Carl is off on a Psychlist bootcamp ( Ha! ;D) to do the hills and Mills on the 26th - I am not ready for that much climbing

It's not the climbing that he should be concerned about (even though the ECE I've planned isn't exactly flat), but the extreme cold that is forecast for that weekend. But don't tell him  ;D

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #340 on: 16 January, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »
Carl is off on a Psychlist bootcamp ( Ha! ;D) to do the hills and Mills on the 26th - I am not ready for that much climbing

It's not the climbing that he should be concerned about (even though the ECE I've planned isn't exactly flat), but the extreme cold that is forecast for that weekend. But don't tell him  ;D

Cool is good for me.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #341 on: 18 January, 2019, 06:08:01 pm »

I'm planning to turn out on the 26th, see you for breakfast at Weatherspoons, happy to assist on the main ride.

« Reply #342 on: 20 January, 2019, 01:08:15 pm »
Thank you to everyone who rode the Kelvedon Oyster and thank you to my glamorous roving controller Fandango (a bit of eye candy always helps get people on the road) and my hard-working arrivee controllers Herman, Redlight, JSabine and no3 Shredette.  We had 196 entries, 170 riders and 146 finishers (the DNF rate being somewhat skewed by people who rode the course but didn't bother validating).

More importantly, 95 oysters were consumed which is a new record for the event.

I have a pair of yellow Btwin gloves and one sealskinz glove in the lost property box.

It looks as if the Knights Templar will be another well supported ride so get your entries in quickly.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #343 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:05:03 am »
Thanks for the received offers of helping on the ride and day. I have these helper riders for this Saturday @ 10am from ‘spoons:
Tomsk
Jem
BFC
Bernster
jibbers
The Strangler

There will be usual Depart & Arrivée roles and stamping at Margaretting.  I’m also thinking about making the Purleigh control a checkpoint with a stamp rather than an info to ease the flow through there, if anyone fancies manning that location or about an hour.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #344 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:58:14 am »
Thanks for the received offers of helping on the ride and day. I have these helper riders for this Saturday @ 10am from ‘spoons:
Tomsk
Jem
BFC
Bernster
jibbers
The Strangler

There will be usual Depart & Arrivée roles and stamping at Margaretting.  I’m also thinking about making the Purleigh control a checkpoint with a stamp rather than an info to ease the flow through there, if anyone fancies manning that location or about an hour.

I can prob provide a control subject to closing times, Marg seems the most appropriate as it's closest, but could do Purleigh potentially... LMK closing times when we next meet...(or I suppose I could look back through a brevet card)
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #345 on: 22 January, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
Control 1 & 2 open times, although Purleigh is officially an info on the brevet so there won’t be open/close times noted for that:
Purleigh            17km    10:20        11:25       
Margaretting     37km    10:58        13:05       

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #346 on: 22 January, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »
Control 1 & 2 open times, although Purleigh is officially an info on the brevet so there won’t be open/close times noted for that:

I can probably man Margaretting via brompton or some such (or even car on way South)  :thumbsup:

I guess there may be an early wave start so riders from just after 10:00?
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #347 on: 22 January, 2019, 03:43:11 pm »

I can probably man Margaretting via brompton or some such (or even car on way South)  :thumbsup:

I guess there may be an early wave start so riders from just after 10:00?
I adjusted the control opening times to account for the 9:30 starters already  :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #348 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:03:02 pm »
Even better - sleep in!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #349 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:51:33 pm »
I adjusted the control opening times to account for the 9:30 starters already  :)

I guess that confirms there will be no surprise 9am start then ... unless you are keeping it as a surprise ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43