Author Topic: Another round the world record  (Read 1889 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Another round the world record
« on: 02 January, 2013, 12:24:57 am »
Thomas Grosserichter rolled up to the Brandenburger Tor on December 31st, having completed his solo bicycle circumnagigation in 105 days, 1 hour and 44 minutes.  This is under the new Guinness rules, where total elapsed time is what counts (a bit like audax!) and under which, Mike Hall's ride took 108 days. 

In contrast to Mike Hall, Thomas had a support crew, who stayed with him for the whole trip as far as I can tell.  I'm sure we'll hear more when it gets onto an english language news site.

Re: Another round the world record
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:41:28 am »
This is under the new Guinness rules, where total elapsed time is what counts
I don't understand that, how did the old system work?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:49:59 am »
Transfer time didn't count, only time spent riding your bike.  They changed it just after Mike Hall had set his record, which was originally going to be just under 92 days, but then they added on the extra 16 days he spent between continents - so he rode under one set of rules, then had his record awarded under a different set.  ISTR he was a bit narked off about it - he'll probably be even more narked now!

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:55:21 am »
Oh I see. That seems to make sense but now the record time depends to an extent on how fast an aeroplane you can afford to travel in between continents? I suppose a few hours either side isn't really that big a deal.

Look like a heck of an achievement though.

[How odd, my spellchecker won't accept aeroplane, wants to replace it with 'planner'.]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:55:44 am »
There should be different records for supported and unsupported, surely?
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:57:58 am »
There should be different records for supported and unsupported, surely?
I would imagine that those two terms would be so difficult to define as to make differentiation almost impossible.

I mean in particular 'unsupported' since who can travel round the world without any assistance at all?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:59:35 am »
Guinness make it their business to make difficult definitions.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:02:24 am »
Guinness are a make it their business who make money out of changing to make difficult definitions.

FTFY

I hadn't heard about this. I would be more than a bit narked if I were Mike.

There is also a world of difference between supported and unsupported.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:05:05 am »
And thinking about it making the definitions isn't that hard I suppose. They just decide on something and since they make the rules the decision can be fairly arbitrary.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »
Oh I see. That seems to make sense but now the record time depends to an extent on how fast an aeroplane you can afford to travel in between continents? I suppose a few hours either side isn't really that big a deal.

It also depends on whether you purposely take a leeeetle bit longer to do your transfers, in order to give yourself a break between legs.  I believe Mike did some of this, as this wouldn't affect  his time under the old rules.  Thomas, of course, knew about the new rules and therefore knew he had to minimise his transfer time.