Author Topic: Knee pain  (Read 1085 times)

Knee pain
« on: 30 September, 2018, 10:57:29 pm »
As I have alluded to elsewhere, I had some significant issues with my left knee when on holiday a few weeks ago. This week I have got x-ray results and have got osteoarthritis in the left knee, under the front of the patella and on the medial side.

Ten weeks ago I was comfortable turning in off road half marathons in sub 1:50 while training,  it I haven’t been able to run or even walk more than a couple of hundred yards since. I can still ride a bike, but to be frank, it’s a bugger.

Referral for physio doesn’t seem to be particularly helpful tbh. Not knocking physio, but I suspect platelet enriched plasma, hyaluronic acid injections or a new knee would make more sense. Certainly, letting my leg strength and general fitness/health deteriorate before allowing an op seems a bit counterproductive.

Mike

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Knee pain
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2018, 11:10:27 pm »
IANAD but from what I've read, knee and hip replacements seem a bit 'meh'.
As in, not necessarily any better than the knackered joint, plus all the extra issues that come with having had major surgery.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Knee pain
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2018, 11:31:15 pm »
Knee replacements are perhaps not as good as hip.
Hip replacements are truly life changing returning people to hill walking, cycling, work.