Author Topic: Sore Throat Remedies please!  (Read 1888 times)

Sore Throat Remedies please!
« on: 18 August, 2012, 10:03:26 am »
I've come down with something, and the incipient sore throat I've had for two days has become more than Asda cherry lozenges will touch. Plans for the day now involve going to Morrisons for ice cream, scotch, honey, petit filous and other sloppy comfort food.

Any proper medicinal suggestions? I seem to remember once before being recommended soluble aspirin solution to gargle with, so that's on the list too....

I'm a bad patient. Blessed with generally good health, I go all pathetic. :(
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Re: Sore Throat Remedies please!
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2012, 10:37:01 am »
Gargling with soluble aspirin often does it for me if it's a bad one. I only do it because years ago a rather grumpy doctor suggested this when I lost my voice and since it worked I've done it ever since without ever given it any more thought.

Although this time around I've just been drinking lots of tea, I feel better this morning and am thinking of going to the market to get some breakfast and a bit of shopping.

« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2012, 10:38:01 am »
And ice cream won't hurt.

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2012, 02:49:51 pm »
And ice cream won't hurt.

Thank you doctor!

Well, after advice over on CC, I had a small soft lunch (bread and butter, and a Petit Filous), and washed it down with a cup of black tea to which was added a couple of slices of fresh ginger and a dollop of honey. Rather nice!  Throat coming back a bit now, so I think it's time to break out the soluble aspirin to sip and gargle with for a while.

We've got ice cream for later. :D

Definitely more than just a cold, I'm a little feverish and don't have much appetite...

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
I can now report that ice cream has been the best instant soother so far.

If we'd been clever, we'd have bought a tub of expensive non-dairy for MFWHTBAB and a litre of  cheap bog-standard Walls for me to scoff... 

Am now cultivating the fever by wrapping up under a throw on the sofa, in the hope of killing off whatever bug it is....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2012, 04:37:43 pm »
best meds = lorraluuurve

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »
Have you ever tried sucking a Fisherman's Friend?

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2012, 05:07:14 pm »
Have you ever tried sucking a Fisherman's Friend?

I dunno, I'll ask.

<pause>

No, he says he doesn't know any fishermen.

Jogler, I'm being well looked after. At least he's fairly mobile now, and not still relying on the wheeled office chair to get about the room.

Progress: I just felt well enough to suggest weakly that I might manage a sliver of the pork pie he had for lunch. And some cheese.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »
Cherry lozenges are a work of Stan.  I once had a teacher (go, on, guess the subject) force me to eat one while I was having an asthma attack.  Never again  :hand:

Once, out of desperation, I discovered that gargling TCP does indeed soothe sore throats.  Unfortunately, the effect lasts for a matter of minutes, while the TCP taste/smell has a half-life of several hours.

Oh, I accidentally got that Anthisan spray with the topical local anaesthetic on my tongue once.  Judging by the hilarious consequences, I expect that would probably do something.  I also suspect it's "for external use only" for a reason.

Augmentin?  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2012, 08:06:34 pm »
MFWHTBAB has got a bottle of spray stuff, chloraseptic something?  I've had a couple of doses, but it makes you realise how hard it is to hold your tongue flat in your mouth if you think about it.

So far, the best remedy has been ice cream.  So, it's not all bad.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »
MFWHTBAB has got a bottle of spray stuff, chloraseptic something?  I've had a couple of doses, but it makes you realise how hard it is to hold your tongue flat in your mouth if you think about it.

So far, the best remedy has been ice cream.  So, it's not all bad.

Chloroform - GET OUT, GET OUT! :o

;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »

One of my lesser known special skills is an ability to flatten my tongue, present tonsils (in the style of saying "aaaah") and suppress my gag reflex at will.  (Stop giggling at the back!)

Back in the days when ethics committees were considered optional, I was part of a longitudinal study of ENT fauna that involved throat swabs being taken a couple of times a week (as well as the collection of any particularly interesting snot and the occasional blood sample).  I believe I'm listed as a co-author on the paper, which is pretty good going for an under-10.

« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2012, 08:49:43 pm »
My friend once recommended fresh pineapple or pineapple juice (pref. non-concentrate), he reckons it's a natural analgaesic, i have no idea about that but i have found it very effective and it's the first thing i look for if symptoms arise.

My mother has experienced periods of losing her voice for a few days at a time, intruigingly she has found kumquats to be almost miraculous in their curative powers for a lost voice, whereas doctors have been unable to offer any form of effective remedy.

As, apparently, it was Hippocrates; the father of medicine himself, who said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food" i trust this meets your stated criterion of 'proper medicinal suggestions'.

Get well soon!

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2012, 09:28:10 pm »

As, apparently, it was Hippocrates; the father of medicine himself, who said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food" i trust this meets your stated criterion of 'proper medicinal suggestions'.

Get well soon!

Thank you!

Currently testing the efficacy of a hot toddy made from Morrisons Extra Value Finest Quality Scotch, sliced ginger and hot water.

I still think ice cream wins. I'm considering having a scoop just before bed to aid getting off to sleep.

Alas, MFWHTBAB may need something stronger, as I kept him awake last night by snoring.