Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82899 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #100 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:37:44 pm »
Done one last tweak to the amended amended amended route, and that's the getting to Leiden: instead of going through a rather boring stretch, we're now on the bike path to the back of the Aldegeest Estate, which is much nicer IMO.

here

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25030213
Hi Roffa, the plan now is to go anti-clockwise so Hoek to Kinder then to the coast we will have a group beer & food there and then 2 of our riders will then head towards the ferry whilst the remainder will head across to Gouda for overnight stay.

I'll have a look at your revised route later and see if there are any bits I can incorporate into the current proposal. :)

ETA: Looks like I cross posted with Andrew.. :) 

I think your route is basically the same as our from 48km to 211km (except we are doing it in reverse! :) )  The only new bit is Lieden your 60km to 68km which seems to an inland cyclepath next to a train line?  Our route for that section currently follows Oostvlietweg next to Park Vlietland so a waterside run out of Lieden
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #101 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:27:33 pm »
Hi Roffa ... long time no hear.

I'm not sure if you have seen the progress in the thread, but we have a 2 riders from the UK doing just a single day, and 6 riding 2 days. We've therefore been looking at a slightly amended route that enables a shorter route for those returning to the ferry, with a split after approx 2/3 of the ride for the remainder to continue to complete a 200km and stay overnight in Gouda.

I'm busy right now, but I'll take a look later this evening at your revised route, and see how it compares against the route jiberjaber has been kindly working on.

In terms of start time, our ferry docks at about 8am from memory, so we should be leaving the terminal by 8:30am if not earlier. I'll confirm this later.

Haha, yeah realized that after I posted. The only thing I really changed was the ride into Leiden through Voorschoten. There's a bike path along the railway line I consider better, but you have to know where it is.

I suppose the final routes will be posted shortly? Sometimes there are nicer options you have to be aware of cause they won't be apparent from the map.

« Reply #102 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:29:20 pm »
Done one last tweak to the amended amended amended route, and that's the getting to Leiden: instead of going through a rather boring stretch, we're now on the bike path to the back of the Aldegeest Estate, which is much nicer IMO.

here

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25030213
Hi Roffa, the plan now is to go anti-clockwise so Hoek to Kinder then to the coast we will have a group beer & food there and then 2 of our riders will then head towards the ferry whilst the remainder will head across to Gouda for overnight stay.

I'll have a look at your revised route later and see if there are any bits I can incorporate into the current proposal. :)

ETA: Looks like I cross posted with Andrew.. :) 

I think your route is basically the same as our from 48km to 211km (except we are doing it in reverse! :) )  The only new bit is Lieden your 60km to 68km which seems to an inland cyclepath next to a train line?  Our route for that section currently follows Oostvlietweg next to Park Vlietland so a waterside run out of Lieden

Yes, that's the only bit I changed. I have a preference for the Voorschoten bike path somehow and not for Vlietland. There's some other ways that can be done, by going through Wassenaar and its estates, which would be the nicest route but would also add the most length.

« Reply #103 on: 07 September, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »
I can see it seems like a very good idea to hit Leiden, but going by the route, that's cycling through the outskirts, and not seeing Leiden properly, because you turn right at Breestraat immediately and leave again. I can see cafes and such would be a bonus there, but honestly that entire area is so built up with nice places everywhere in Oegstgeest, Katwijk, Wassenaar and Scheveningen that it's always possible to have a good stop somewhere.

My alternative would be to get to Katwijk, then follow the LF1 through the dunes to Scheveningen and eventually to Hook.

« Reply #104 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:22:45 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Roffa. Below is a link to the routes that jiberjaber has so kindly put together (you can see each one by selecting the route on the left hand panel). These are not final and can be tweaked before we fix the route ... the 200km route on the Saturday will need to be fixed as I will need to submit it as a group DIY mandatory route audax. Roffa's route is also included, but only for information as it doesn't take the overnight stop into consideration.

https://ridewithgps.com/events/41102-acme-goes-dutch#routes/25025549/preview

The routes are as follows (in jiberjaber's words):

D1 two versions, 1 day riders (189km) and 2 day riders (200km Audax)
D2 two versions, 1 with ferry and 1 without ferry (I prefer the one without as it enters towards Hoek in a less industrial area, but could flex the ferry version to do similar?)

We are due to dock at 8am, so assuming we get away by 8:30am (ie no faffing with bikes) there will be 12.5 hours for OD and Oaky to complete the 190km back to the ferry. Check-in for the return ferry is 45 minutes before it sails, so I would suggest aiming for 9pm at the latest (for a 10pm sailing). Assuming a pedestrian 20km/h, the riding will take 9.5 hours, so 3 hours of stops. Given that I'm not aware of much undulation on the route, and at least half of it will be with a tailwind, I would expect the speed to be a bit higher, but we don't need to be on a mission. Be good to build a buffer.

The split of the groups will occur at 167km, in Scheveningen. Looks like a good place for some food/beer before we head our separate ways.

OD/Oaky, how does that feel? Is the distance alright?

For day 2, I'm happy to go with whichever option people prefer. I'm bowing to those who know the area better. If anybody has suggestions do shout.

Roffa, I presume you will be joining us, and will wait for us somewhere on the route?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #105 on: 09 September, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
^^^ Perfect Andrew, I understand what I'm doing now!  Thank you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #106 on: 09 September, 2017, 03:04:08 pm »
I was contemplating riding to Harwich after work on Friday.  I have THIS ROUTE which I have used before.  Has anyone got any betterer alternatives?  I'm happy to follow a wheel.

« Reply #107 on: 09 September, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »
I was contemplating riding to Harwich after work on Friday.  I have THIS ROUTE which I have used before.  Has anyone got any betterer alternatives?  I'm happy to follow a wheel.

I need to park my car somewhere close to Harwich so that I can get back home on Monday morning. I'm thinking of parking somewhere in the Manningtree/Mistley area. I don't know Harwich but would assume many people are not keen on cars being parked up for a couple of days unless in a recognised car park.

I can probably get to Harwich sometime around 7 - 7:30pm if others are arriving early for something to eat before catching the ferry. Does anybody have any suggestions where there might be safe bike parking? I think jibers has previously suggested somewhere, but I can't find the details.

« Reply #108 on: 09 September, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
For eating:

https://www.brewersfayre.co.uk/pub-restaurant/Essex/Mayflower-Harwich.html

Sit outside or window seat which is what we did a couple of years ago. Also had breakfast there on return.

For parking, why not a street in Manningtree? Just like doing one of Tom's events. You can even catch train to Harwich International.

« Reply #109 on: 09 September, 2017, 06:47:08 pm »
I'm thinking of parking somewhere in the Manningtree/Mistley area.

For parking, why not a street in Manningtree? 

I think you missed that bit, but thank you. It was when I investigated parking for the Green and Yellow Fields that I saw there were many sensible options in the area. It's only a short cycle along the b-road from there, which saves messing with trains.

Thanks also for the eating option. From memory jiberjaber had a curry house in mind, but searching for such options in the area has not refreshed my memory with whatever his suggestion was.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #110 on: 09 September, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »
A curry would be excellent. 

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #111 on: 09 September, 2017, 10:19:11 pm »
D2 two versions, 1 with ferry and 1 without ferry (I prefer the one without as it enters towards Hoek in a less industrial area, but could flex the ferry version to do similar?)

I am a bit confused - that link shows three D2 routes and it looks as if they all use the Rozenburg-Maassluis ferry and then go along the river back to Hoek. One or two of them traverse Goeree-Overflakkee where our friends live - but we can't pop in for tea as they are away that weekend!

We are also staying Sunday night, we have made a booking at the Stayokay in Dordrecht which means we could cycle with you as far as Willemstad for example then loop back, or we can do our own thing (maybe weather dependent).

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #112 on: 10 September, 2017, 12:03:14 am »
Yes d2c is me playing with an alternative to avoid industrial hell on the run in to the last ferry before the ferry...

Curry is at Captain Fryatt
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #113 on: 10 September, 2017, 03:20:26 pm »

I am a bit confused - that link shows three D2 routes and it looks as if they all use the Rozenburg-Maassluis ferry and then go along the river back to Hoek. One or two of them traverse Goeree-Overflakkee where our friends live - but we can't pop in for tea as they are away that weekend!

We are also staying Sunday night, we have made a booking at the Stayokay in Dordrecht which means we could cycle with you as far as Willemstad for example then loop back, or we can do our own thing (maybe weather dependent).

Willemstad would be great as all potential routes head to there!

curry would be excellent. 

https://goo.gl/maps/DwDexszE1P72

I might give them a call this week to check that the curry gaff bolted on is still open (it's been a year since I was last there)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #114 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:20:10 pm »
Back to the day 1 route (the 200km version), there appears to be some doubling back at various points in the route. As this is a mandatory route ride, I think these need to be ironed out, which is probably what you inferred jiberjaber when you said there was some tidying up to do. Is this easy to do in RidewithGPS? I noted minor issues at 19km, 31km, 131km, 202km and at the end.

In terms of stops, if we assume the conservative 20km/h, then the day could look like this:

Leave ferry at 8:30, cycle to Gouda at 20km/h gets us there for 12:45. We could then have about 1 hour for lunch.

Leave Gouda by 14:00, we'd be in Scheveningen at 18:00. One and a half hours for food/drinks, and everyone can reach their next destination in plenty of time if we depart circa 19:30. It's 23km to the ferry from there for OD and Oaky.

Of course if we were cycling at 22.5 km/h, then we'd have an extra 45 minutes before the Scheveningen stop, giving options for either an early coffee stop (not my preference), or an extra stop at around the 125km mark. On the streetview I spotted a Lakeside cafe just before the 131km mark - it's small but would be a good mid-ride refuel option. It's in Buitenkaag, on the route.

Any thoughts?

We can play it by ear on the day, but it's good to have an outline plan so that we can keep everything on track through the day.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #115 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:43:38 pm »
Back to the day 1 route (the 200km version), there appears to be some doubling back at various points in the route. As this is a mandatory route ride, I think these need to be ironed out, which is probably what you inferred jiberjaber when you said there was some tidying up to do. Is this easy to do in RidewithGPS? I noted minor issues at 19km, 31km, 131km, 202km and at the end.

Fixed 19km, a legacy from routing backwards from the original route.
31km, unless you fancy walking up the steps to the over-road route we need to loop a little here
131km similar, this is a double back to come down on to the cycle path
202km again, doubles around to get on to the bike path.

On the continent viewing the route with 'OSM Cycle' as the base map to see the steps etc. is quite a good idea as it then shows the detail about transition from some road to bike paths. Unfortunately, this isn't that good as the route seems to have the same colour as bike paths when zoomed out in RWGPS. :facepalm:

I've updated the 2day'ers version of the route to reflect the above.

In terms of times, We will be awoken at 05:00 to the wonderful music on board the boat, breakfast then out on the road for 08:30 (or 08:00 is we are pushy with getting the bikes in front of the cars), but by the time we pass the golf club @35km we will have been up 5 hours, so some coffee + apple cake & cream might be welcome there - an option...

I can highly recommend the following, as soon as the music comes on, get out of bed and down for the breakfast, eat then head back to the cabin for ablutions - that way you beat the queues  :thumbsup: (plus if we are lucky a fantastic sunrise across the sea)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #116 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:43:23 am »
Thanks jiberjaber. Is the 200km route now ready for me to submit as a group DIY (after which I presume I inform all riders so they can join the same event), and for everybody to download to their GPS device?

Good advice re breakfast. I think I'll set an alarm for just before 5am so I can be sure to beat the rush.

Let's keep the 35km stop as an option, and see how we are doing on the day. I'm just a bit nervous that it'll take time for 8 or 9 riders to get served, consume, and then get going again. But given we'll have eaten quite a while before the ferry docks, a pick-me-up could be appealing.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #117 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:45:32 am »
Nice work chaps, thanking you.

« Reply #118 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »
Edging closer to this little expedition. Jiberjaber has confirmed that the GPX files are ready, and can be downloaded from the following place ... https://ridewithgps.com/events/41102-acme-goes-dutch#routes/25058383/preview ... select 'Go to Route' by the respective route on the left, and then use Export at the top right to select either the TCX or GPX, depending upon your taste.

You'll need to have a copy of the routes as follows. Thanks again to jiberjaber for his expertise in compiling these, and Roffa for his original on which much of the day one ride is based.

Day trippers (OD & Oaky)
 - D1 1Day Riders

Overnighters (everyone else)
 - D1 2Day Riders (200km Audax route)
 - D2B Gouda to Hoek (Ferry) ... 130.7km
 - D2C Gouda to Hoek ... 161.5km

There may be a third option added by jiberjaber soon. We can decide on the route for the Sunday on the day. All the routes go through Willemstad.

Questions:

1. When I tried to use the form to submit the day 1 ride as a mandatory route DIY, I cannot see how I can make it a group DIY, avoiding everybody submitting the same GPX to the organiser. I only see the details at https://www.aukweb.net/forms/entryformdiym.php ... does anybody know how we can submit once and all link to the single uploaded route?

2. bhoot, do you need a GPS device to help record the ride on Saturday, or do you have one to hand? I have a spare that you can borrow.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #119 on: 12 September, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »
Edging closer to this little expedition. Jiberjaber has confirmed that the GPX files are ready, and can be downloaded from the following place ... https://ridewithgps.com/events/41102-acme-goes-dutch#routes/25058383/preview ... select 'Go to Route' by the respective route on the left, and then use Export at the top right to select either the TCX or GPX, depending upon your taste.

You'll need to have a copy of the routes as follows. Thanks again to jiberjaber for his expertise in compiling these, and Roffa for his original on which much of the day one ride is based.

Day trippers (OD & Oaky)
 - D1 1Day Riders

Overnighters (everyone else)
 - D1 2Day Riders (200km Audax route)
 - D2B Gouda to Hoek (Ferry) ... 130.7km
 - D2C Gouda to Hoek ... 161.5km

There may be a third option added by jiberjaber soon. We can decide on the route for the Sunday on the day. All the routes go through Willemstad.

Questions:

1. When I tried to use the form to submit the day 1 ride as a mandatory route DIY, I cannot see how I can make it a group DIY, avoiding everybody submitting the same GPX to the organiser. I only see the details at https://www.aukweb.net/forms/entryformdiym.php ... does anybody know how we can submit once and all link to the single uploaded route?

2. bhoot, do you need a GPS device to help record the ride on Saturday, or do you have one to hand? I have a spare that you can borrow.

I dont think there are any more changes though I have just added to the Day 2 files a slight route via a McD's at 30ish KM just in case we need a coffee stop (subject to weather sort of)
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #120 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:59:06 pm »
Questions:

You don't need to as the first submitee, Mr S will realise the same routes as they are submitted by individual riders with their DIY by GPS application and assign them to the group ride. As the initial submitee you will get email notification of so-and-so has joined your group ride.  To make the grouping easier we could mention in the application notes that we wish to join Brevet [insert number here] if you'd like to share that.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #121 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:37:35 pm »
Thanks Huggy. The Brevet number is 16758 ... so please do mention this as you all submit your mandatory route DIY brevet request.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #122 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:54:26 pm »
Thanks Huggy. The Brevet number is 16758 ... so please do mention this as you all submit your mandatory route DIY brevet request.

Done!  :thumbsup:

I used the following controls:

01.   Hook of Holland       
02.   Vlaardingen       
03.   Campanile Hotel Gouda
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #123 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:45:45 am »

01.   Hook of Holland       
02.   Vlaardingen       
Ditto!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #124 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:49:02 am »

01.   Hook of Holland       
02.   Vlaardingen       

Done and acknowledged by DIY Organiser
 :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...