Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 83233 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #125 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:29:18 pm »
2. bhoot, do you need a GPS device to help record the ride on Saturday, or do you have one to hand? I have a spare that you can borrow.
Yes please... I have experimented with recording a track on my phone which seems to work OK so that's one of them, but we need another track too despite being on the same bike*. Will need a quick instruction session, guess that can be on Friday evening. My main concern is actually navigating if we manage to lose the rest of you! I might just attempt to mark it up on my super all NL cycle map book.

* the tandem is back - yay - and you can hardly see any colour difference between the new forks and the frame.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #126 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:44:17 pm »
We have now entered, hope we filled everything in OK. Us Luddites aren't used to this mandatory route stuff. Thanks psyclist and jiberjaber for kicking everything off.

Not sure yet when we will be setting off on Friday but will at least meet you all for dinner if we don't see you on the road before that. Jiber's suggested route from Colchester is pretty much the way we usually go as it can easily incorporate a pint at Wivenhoe! Have you got any rough timings along the route?

« Reply #127 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:49:21 pm »
2. bhoot, do you need a GPS device to help record the ride on Saturday, or do you have one to hand? I have a spare that you can borrow.
Yes please... I have experimented with recording a track on my phone which seems to work OK so that's one of them, but we need another track too despite being on the same bike*. Will need a quick instruction session, guess that can be on Friday evening. My main concern is actually navigating if we manage to lose the rest of you! I might just attempt to mark it up on my super all NL cycle map book.

* the tandem is back - yay - and you can hardly see any colour difference between the new forks and the frame.

I'll bring a spare Garmin mount too, so that you can have it on the handlebars or on the frame. I can even start the Garmin for you as we come off the ferry, then you'll not need to touch it until we finish the ride.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #128 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:56:50 pm »
We have now entered, hope we filled everything in OK. Us Luddites aren't used to this mandatory route stuff. Thanks psyclist and jiberjaber for kicking everything off.

Not sure yet when we will be setting off on Friday but will at least meet you all for dinner if we don't see you on the road before that. Jiber's suggested route from Colchester is pretty much the way we usually go as it can easily incorporate a pint at Wivenhoe! Have you got any rough timings along the route?

Timings, An item to be discussed tonight at the MEMWNS meeting - you coming? (Compasses LG)

I must remember to ring the pub to check they still have the curry attachment!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #129 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:19:19 pm »
ring the pub to check they still have the curry attachment!

I'm curious to find out what a curry attachment is  ???

I'm still trying to buy a compasses jersey.  Last time they only had two in stock, too small or too large.

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #130 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:22:58 pm »
I'm now in two minds about riding to Harwich.  I know the ferry sails at 11pm, I guess we will need to be ready to board by about 10:30 if not earlier so I'm thinking curry will need to commence between 8 and 9pm.  In which case I won't have time to ride to Harwich as I won't be able to leave Witham before 5pm.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #131 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:42:30 pm »
You must check in at least 40 minutes before the sailing time!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #132 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:48:28 pm »
Ticket has check-in by 10:15. I'd suggest aiming to be there by 10 to be sure.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #133 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:26:16 pm »
Timings, An item to be discussed tonight at the MEMWNS meeting - you coming? (Compasses LG)
Sadly no, we have a rare evening of culture at a concert.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #134 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:40:02 pm »
Sadly no, we have a rare evening of culture at a concert.

In that case, here's my initial thoughts:

I'd probably to get to the pub no later than 19:00 (to be discussed tonight of course!).  There is the fallback option of eating on the boat which isn't too bad tbf - it's either a fine dining experience or a cafeteria (i.e. curry & chips sort of thing).

Last time I got the boat I set off from home around 14:30, was at Cpt F for about 18:50, at the waiting area for the ferry at 20:45 and on board for 21:10...  That worked well last time (enough time to get tied up, shower and a beer then bed - however I also had the fine dining experience which got me to bed quite late!)

Remember once you are on the boat, you magically lose an hour, my plan will be to go to bed when I get on board (maybe a pint first) so when you get woken at 05:00 for breakfast, it's actually 04:00 UK time  :facepalm:

I was thinking about (late-ish) lunch at Battlesford Court then heading off (14:00-14:30) to Harwich if that helps (hence the Witham stop on my D0 route)...

ETA:  Bad news, the curry house closed on 10th Dec last year and is now a pizza place, unfortunately its presently closed for refurbishment.... so I'll have to think of a plan B (Plan C is eat on boat)

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #135 on: 13 September, 2017, 03:41:47 pm »
Hang on, I have access to local knowledge.  Back soon...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #136 on: 13 September, 2017, 04:58:57 pm »
Remember once you are on the boat, you magically lose an hour, my plan will be to go to bed when I get on board (maybe a pint first) so when you get woken at 05:00 for breakfast, it's actually 04:00 UK time  :facepalm:
Are you sure you aren't getting your time zones mixed up or did you ask for a special early call? My recollection is the music plays around 06.00 Dutch time, given that the boat doesn't get in until nearly 08.00, I think 05.00 local time is way too early...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #137 on: 13 September, 2017, 05:50:22 pm »
I took a photo after I had eaten timed 0612 but unclear if that is UK or Dutch time (suspect it's dutch time, but could be UK) so I don't think I was that quick at getting up, getting to the area and eating...

I suspect we'll know when we ask on board - though it's still an hour lost heading over to EU iirc

Good excuse to post a nice picture though  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #138 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:08:54 pm »
The website says

HARWICH - HOOK OF HOLLAND   
Vessel                    Departure Harwich   Arrival Hook of Holland   Status   Remarks
Stena Britannica   09:05                   17:15                           Arrived   None
Stena Hollandica   23:00                   08:00                           On Time   None

HOOK OF HOLLAND - HARWICH   
Vessel                   Departure Hook of Holland   Arrival Harwich   Status   Remarks
Stena Hollandica   14:43                           19:45           Departed   None
Stena Britannica   22:00                           06:30          On Time   None

So we have 8 hours travelling on a night crossing - beer sleep and breakfast = result!
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #139 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:46:50 am »
My trip to London on Friday afternoon has been replaced by a conference call, so I will now be able to get away at a good time. I'll be driving most of the way then cycling just the last bit into Harwich. Do we have a venue in Harwich to meet at ... is the Brewers Fayre the most suitable choice? I can be there from about 7pm.

I'm travelling light. I was thinking about bring some flat shoes to wear when off the bike, but would prefer not to carry them if possible. I'm thinking the only time they would be used would be on the boat, in which case I would just wear socks. The only other time might be at the hotel in Gouda, but again if we are just using the bar/restaurant in the hotel I can get away with socks. Or if we have time and cycle into central Gouda, we'll be in cycling gear so I'll just keep my cycling shoes on. Does that sound logical, or is anybody planning on walking anywhere that would make flat shoes a useful option to carry?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #140 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:53:42 am »
I'd rather eat before getting on the boat, I don't really care what we eat, Brewer's Doodaa will be fine.

Also I probably won't be wearing a Magic Hat as I'm not riding to Harwich anymore, I don't always wear a helmet on day long rides.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #141 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:52:24 am »
Looks like not a lot of options to lock up the bikes at Brewers Fayre?

I'm researching at the moment but the area isn't really famed for lots of places to eat that are OK from the looks of it...

This sort of looks OK (13km from the ferry)
https://goo.gl/maps/zev786xe2zK2

I'm packing a lightweight set of shoes which I seemed to have carried to the pub with me on the last 2 occasions  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #142 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:08:25 am »
Looks like not a lot of options to lock up the bikes at Brewers Fayre?

I'm researching at the moment but the area isn't really famed for lots of places to eat that are OK from the looks of it...

This sort of looks OK (13km from the ferry)
https://goo.gl/maps/zev786xe2zK2

I'm packing a lightweight set of shoes which I seemed to have carried to the pub with me on the last 2 occasions  :facepalm:

An eating option 13k from the ferry isn't going to help those of us getting the train directly to Harwich!  I am minded to get the 1746 from Witham which gets into Dovercourt at 1855hrs.  I'm pretty confident I can find something to eat on a bike ride from there to Harwich port.  The Brewers Fayre (according to Google Streetview) is next to an Aldi on a retail park type thing so there will probably be some something to lock Fred to.

Of course I could get a train directly to Harwich International but I don't think there are any eating options at the port if their website is to be believed.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #143 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:19:45 am »
You could just ride up from Manningtree (hint - it's a bike ride!)

II don't really want to carry a chuffing big D-lock so I can have a reheated frozen meal :)  So I am not too keen on the Brewers place.  I can't believe that Harwich is so devoid of eating options.... I guess we are spoilt by being closer to London and more commuter like cities...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #144 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:27:11 am »

II don't really want to carry a chuffing big D-lock so I can have a reheated frozen meal :)  So I am not too keen on the Brewers place.  I can't believe that Harwich is so devoid of eating options.... I guess we are spoilt by being closer to London and more commuter like cities...

The Alma is good.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #145 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:28:10 am »
An eating option 13k from the ferry isn't going to help those of us getting the train directly to Harwich!  I am minded to get the 1746 from Witham which gets into Dovercourt at 1855hrs.  I'm pretty confident I can find something to eat on a bike ride from there to Harwich port.  The Brewers Fayre (according to Google Streetview) is next to an Aldi on a retail park type thing so there will probably be some something to lock Fred to.

Of course I could get a train directly to Harwich International but I don't think there are any eating options at the port if their website is to be believed.

I'm also aiming for the 17:46 from Witham and I'm tempted to take my chances with the Brewer's Fayre (in which case, gettign of at Harwich International seems to make sense).

Sattelite image shows the usual complement of outdoor tables as often used for bike locking on MEMWNS excursions

Photos of the area

Photo with cyclists :)

Streetview shows lamp posts etc. outside / around Lidl
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #146 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:31:43 am »
I am minded to get the 1746 from Witham which gets into Dovercourt at 1855hrs. 

That train requires a change at Manningtree, I believe. I could meet you at the station and ride to the place in Bradfield Heath. It's not far from Manningtree.

Or meet both you and Oaky.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #147 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:32:20 am »
Right then, that seals it, I shall simply follow Oaky and do what he does.  When has this sort of thinking ever gone wrong?  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #148 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:33:18 am »

The Alma is good.

That seems a far better prospect!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #149 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:33:47 am »
Just spotted the alternative of the Alma being suggested.

I'm fine with any of the options really :)