Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 83024 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #150 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:34:50 am »
You could just ride up from Manningtree (hint - it's a bike ride!)

II don't really want to carry a chuffing big D-lock so I can have a reheated frozen meal :)  So I am not too keen on the Brewers place.  I can't believe that Harwich is so devoid of eating options.... I guess we are spoilt by being closer to London and more commuter like cities...

The Alma is good.

That seems a far better prospect!  :thumbsup:

Booking might be a good idea.  Or we could just do the Brewers Fayre, Oaky says it'll be fine.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #151 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:46:10 am »
Perhaps The Alma for when there are less of us then...  looks like it's Brewers then...

There appears the possibility of a back way in to the Brewers via Parkeston Rd to avoid the RBT as long as the gate is open - I'll give that a try on the way in.
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #152 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:36:12 pm »
An eating option 13k from the ferry isn't going to help those of us getting the train directly to Harwich!  I am minded to get the 1746 from Witham which gets into Dovercourt at 1855hrs.  I'm pretty confident I can find something to eat on a bike ride from there to Harwich port.  The Brewers Fayre (according to Google Streetview) is next to an Aldi on a retail park type thing so there will probably be some something to lock Fred to.

Of course I could get a train directly to Harwich International but I don't think there are any eating options at the port if their website is to be believed.

I'm also aiming for the 17:46 from Witham and I'm tempted to take my chances with the Brewer's Fayre (in which case, getting off [typos corrected  ;D  ]at Harwich International seems to make sense).

If time allows we could always have a quick one in The Railway before setting off and / or get a few cans for the journey  :thumbsup:

huggy - are your travel plans the same ^^^?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #153 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:44:13 pm »
An eating option 13k from the ferry isn't going to help those of us getting the train directly to Harwich!  I am minded to get the 1746 from Witham which gets into Dovercourt at 1855hrs.  I'm pretty confident I can find something to eat on a bike ride from there to Harwich port.  The Brewers Fayre (according to Google Streetview) is next to an Aldi on a retail park type thing so there will probably be some something to lock Fred to.

Of course I could get a train directly to Harwich International but I don't think there are any eating options at the port if their website is to be believed.

I'm also aiming for the 17:46 from Witham and I'm tempted to take my chances with the Brewer's Fayre (in which case, getting off [typos corrected  ;D  ]at Harwich International seems to make sense).

If time allows we could always have a quick one in The Railway before setting off and / or get a few cans for the journey  :thumbsup:

huggy - are your travel plans the same ^^^?

There's half a plan to meet at Spoons for a spot of lunch and cycle up to Harwich - not agreed a time for Spoons yet, you could have a lunch time meeting with us also?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25126069
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #154 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:17:52 pm »
Yes, that's a possibility.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #155 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:34:04 pm »
We could be up for late-ish lunch depending on what time we get away. Will follow developments tomorrow morning but would also appreciate a text to confirm any lunch time meet up and/or evening meal decision.

BTW we will have our large panniers - so they should provide a good wind shelter for the rest of you! We will also take one decent lock so can potentially lock someone's bike to ours.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #156 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »
We could be up for late-ish lunch depending on what time we get away. Will follow developments tomorrow morning but would also appreciate a text to confirm any lunch time meet up and/or evening meal decision.

BTW we will have our large panniers - so they should provide a good wind shelter for the rest of you! We will also take one decent lock so can potentially lock someone's bike to ours.

I will try to remember to text you.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #157 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:41:08 pm »
So, 13:00 Spoons for Lunch?

Set off from there around 14:45

I suspect Cooks Wood might not be the best bit of COR given the rain of late plus might not be Tandem friendly! so via Layer-de-la-Haye, but also missing out some other COR and taking in the military bit of Colchester

Wivenhoe for about 16:30 (light friday based refreshments for about 40mins?) with the stop we would be at Harwich Brewers for about 18:30

Ferry opens for boarding at 20:30

Revised route...
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25126069
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #158 on: 14 September, 2017, 07:08:11 pm »
Looks like the Friday plan is there. I'll head straight to the Brewers Fayre, and aim to be there at 18:30 or as soon after then as I can manage.

It sounds like most people are accounted for, with the possible exception of Grey Sheep, whose travel plans to Harwich have not been shared yet, at least here. If we're all aiming to be at the Brewers Fayre before 7pm, then we can eat and be on the boat nice and early.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #159 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
Hi all, I am planning to meet up with Huggy and Jibbers at spoons in Witham and cycle to Harwich. As little COR as possible though

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #160 on: 15 September, 2017, 10:28:33 am »
Currency card exchange rate had a little jump this morning, 1.09 to 1.14 for GBP to Euros in case you haven't loaded up money yet  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #161 on: 15 September, 2017, 10:33:28 am »
Currency card exchange rate had a little jump this morning, 1.09 to 1.14 for GBP to Euros in case you haven't loaded up money yet  :thumbsup:

I have one of your moody money laundering cards now.  I might top it up again - thanks for the tip  :thumbsup:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #162 on: 15 September, 2017, 10:44:57 am »
Just checked weather forecast.... going off to find waterproof socks!

« Reply #163 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:15:04 am »

Wise move. Showery from what I see, but those showers could be heavy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #164 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:19:45 am »

What!  Rubbish weather  ???  Andrew, as a fledgling ACME / Mid-Essex yacf organiser you can't cock up your first trip by order the wrong sort of weather!  Points will be deducted!  The  weather on the trips I organise is always perfect  :smug:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #165 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:39:09 am »
Packing is coming along nicely here, Dave is looking forward to kennel cam this evening!

« Reply #166 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:55:46 am »

What!  Rubbish weather  ???  Andrew, as a fledgling ACME / Mid-Essex yacf organiser you can't cock up your first trip by order the wrong sort of weather!  Points will be deducted!  The  weather on the trips I organise is always perfect  :smug:

Some of the most evocative cycling photos were taken in wet conditions.

There again, how often is the weather forecast correct?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #167 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:16:12 pm »
Packing is coming along nicely here, Dave is looking forward to kennel cam this evening!

You're putting him in a kennel  :o  That's a bit mean  >:(

« Reply #168 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »

Ahhh, the fascinating 'in-flight' equivalent entertainment! Very disappointed that I was not able to join the fun but community meetings this weekend prevented any involvement. I have no doubt an excellent time will be had by all and I will thinking about in cycle wonderland.

« Reply #169 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
Yep, have fun y'all....

« Reply #170 on: 15 September, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
Message for OD & Oaky - we are now eating at the Waterfront as the Brewers Fayre is too busy. I've secured tables, and will try calling once I get your number. Waterfront is 2km from BF, an easy google maps navigation.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #171 on: 17 September, 2017, 09:36:15 am »
Well, I'm back home from a fabulous if wet Dutch micro adventure - loved every minute of it.

Many thanks to psyclist and jibers from organising the trip and everyone else for their company.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #172 on: 17 September, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
And today we had a fabulous sunny Dutch micro adventure...

« Reply #173 on: 20 September, 2017, 07:55:28 am »
A big thank you from me to everyone :thumbsup:, but especially to organisers, for making this a great weekend.

Apparently it rained, but I just have memories of great cycling, with great company and a country with great roads and cycle paths.

Thanks all ;D

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #174 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:56:10 am »
+1  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax