Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 83258 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #250 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »
Team Turn Left rides again  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #251 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »
Here's a 85ish KM route from Breda to Hoek which you could reverse (you will need to use the big bridge rather than the ferry Numansgors to Willemstad )  Willemstad is a lovely place for lunch - we were there last year on the way back on ACME Goes Dutch

https://www.strava.com/activities/1075765702

Big bridge route contained in this route:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1189024411
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #252 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:48:55 pm »
We’ve got 2 options currently, both 200. These need a small amount of refinement. I’ll see if I can get these out in draft mode tomorrow, to aid turn left options.

The 2 options are A and B, with B the backup plan in case the wind makes option A unattractive. Aim is to make that decision by the Tuesday beforehand.

There’s also the possibility of an option C, but let’s keep that to one side for now.

Also need to get the Sunday route prepared for those looking for a gentle pedal back to the Sunday night ferry.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #253 on: 22 August, 2018, 01:50:02 pm »
I'd like to have a look at the official Hoek to Breda 200k route before deciding on any Plan B options.

« Reply #254 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:04:51 pm »
Indeed. Wait until tomorrow ... or I can explain in English this evening, rereading what I wrote above is perhaps slightly convoluted

Oscar's dad

« Reply #255 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:14:01 pm »
Indeed. Wait until tomorrow ... or I can explain in English this evening, rereading what I wrote above is perhaps slightly convoluted

But you do convoluted so well, its what we like most about you  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #256 on: 24 August, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »
So here's the indicative details for the post-audax tour.... We probably need a bit of a roll call as if theres 14 of us, cafe's might start to be a problem - so we might steal an idea from the Fridays and have a central meeting point that everyone agrees to be back at in an hour for example...

Routes almost finished, some final fettling to be done but other than that it will give you an idea of what's what... I've scouted for some interesting bits (Best MCD's you'll ever visit plus castles, disused airfields, windmills).
Indicative routes here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/62526-acme-dutch-2018#routes/28206964/preview

(You will also find Carolines two Audax draft routes on there as well)

I've not completed an itinerary for each day yet (to workout what time we should leave the hotel) but it is likely to be quite relaxed and might involve some additional hydration stops subject to weather... I've based it around 11's, lunch and tea (beer?).

Sunday - Breda to s-Hertogenbosch 96km
(there might be some dusty tracks on this 25c OK)

Start: Hotel Restaurant Campanile Breda, Breda
11’s probably Baarl (25km)
Lunch Hilvarenbeek (44km)
Tea stop Best McDs (65km)
Finish: Hotel Restaurant Campanile Hertogenbosch, 's Hertogenbosch

Monday - s-Hertogenbosch to Amersfoort (78km)
Lot of closed placed on Monday!

Start: Hotel Restaurant Campanile Hertogenbosch, 's Hertogenbosch
11s Marktplein Geldermalsen, Netherlands (24km)
Lunch Wijk bij Duurstede (‘t Terras?) (38km)
Tea Zeist (58km)
Finish:Hotel Restaurant Campanile Amersfoort, Amersfoort

Tuesday – Amerfoort to Zandam (67km)
(More fortifications!)

Start: Hotel Restaurant Campanile Amersfoort, Amersfoort
11s Laren (24km)
Lunch Haveneiland-West Lunch (47km)
Tea TBC Somewhere on the outskirts of 'dam
Finish: ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam, Zaandam

Wednesday – Zaandam to Hoek (101km or 114km)
Optional Windmills (adds 12km to route - but worth it IMHO, bit like Kinderdijk but different type of use)

Start: ibis budget Amsterdam Zaandam, Zaandam
11s (/ Brunch?) Bloemendaal (21km/33km)
Lunch Scheveningen (73km)
Tea (TBC but hopefully within 10km or so of the ferry)
Finish: Hoek Ferry

The small print, just as a reminder: This is not a formal ride or tour under the auspices of any club. We will be just a bunch of friends on a ride together and my role will be simply to guide you round a route. As such, you will be riding under your own insurance, responsible for all your own accommodation, welfare and subsistence arrangements etc..  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #257 on: 24 August, 2018, 05:01:01 pm »
The small print, just as a reminder: This is not a formal ride or tour under the auspices of any club. We will be just a bunch of friends on a ride together and my role will be simply to guide you round a route. As such, you will be riding under your own insurance, responsible for all your own accommodation, welfare and subsistence arrangements etc..  :thumbsup:

Oh, I was banking on you being my Appropriate Adult jibers.  Disappointed I am.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #258 on: 24 August, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »

Oh, I was banking on you being my Appropriate Adult jibers.  Disappointed I am.

:-*  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #259 on: 24 August, 2018, 05:26:00 pm »
Disappointed I am.

Why have Yoda you turned into ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #260 on: 30 August, 2018, 12:53:35 pm »
3 weeks to go. It feels like a good time to get some organising done.

Firstly, who is going? Tedshred counted 13, but I’m only able to identify 10 off the top of my head. If you are not in the following list and are going, could you please shout?

jiberjaber, grey sheep, the straggler, bhoot+1, oscar’s dad, oaky, huggy, tedshred, psyclist

Secondly, last year we had a pleasant meal in Waterfront at Dovercourt. I’m happy to book a table if people want to eat there again. 7pm feels about right, or 7:30pm. Alternatively, we could meet for a drink somewhere and eat on the ferry. That would mean eating quite late though. I’d prefer to eat early.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #261 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:05:24 pm »
3 weeks to go. It feels like a good time to get some organising done.

Firstly, who is going? Tedshred counted 13, but I’m only able to identify 10 off the top of my head. If you are not in the following list and are going, could you please shout?

jiberjaber, grey sheep, the straggler, bhoot+1, oscar’s dad, oaky, huggy, tedshred, psyclist

Secondly, last year we had a pleasant meal in Waterfront at Dovercourt. I’m happy to book a table if people want to eat there again. 7pm feels about right, or 7:30pm. Alternatively, we could meet for a drink somewhere and eat on the ferry. That would mean eating quite late though. I’d prefer to eat early.
4 not on the list are Jem & the Lynx, Chris & Pat (planning on just riding to the Saturday night hotel and returning Sunday)

I'm up for repeating the Harwich eating experience.  Plan A is to meet in Witham 'spoons for lunch then ride to Harwich, probably via a rehydration opportunity, then evening meal in Harwich before boarding the ferry.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #262 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
I will get to Dovercourt.

BTW, where's the definitive 200k route for Saturday?

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #263 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:30:37 pm »
Arriving at Dovercourt 7.00-7.30pm by train straight after work works best for me. Any earlier I will struggle to arrive on time and would like to avoid having to book 1/2 day leave.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #264 on: 30 August, 2018, 01:39:55 pm »

BTW, where's the definitive 200k route for Saturday?

jiberjaber posted the link to options A and B above. Unless the weather dictates otherwise, option A will be the one we’ll follow. Don’t download the route just yet though, as minor tweaks may be made.

« Reply #265 on: 30 August, 2018, 02:55:05 pm »

Routes almost finished, some final fettling to be done but other than that it will give you an idea of what's what... I've scouted for some interesting bits (Best MCD's you'll ever visit plus castles, disused airfields, windmills).
Indicative routes here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/62526-acme-dutch-2018#routes/28206964/preview

I've been following your thread here on and off for a couple of weeks and as i live here in NL
i have to pose the question, what's so special about the McDonalds in Best (or is it the name) ? They are all the same, aren't they ???

Regards,

Alan

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #266 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:14:08 pm »
You have to visit to find out (if you know, please don't spoil it :) Let me know if you want to know via PM )

Fancy joining us?

I've been following your thread here on and off for a couple of weeks and as i live here in NL
i have to pose the question, what's so special about the McDonalds in Best (or is it the name) ? They are all the same, aren't they ???
Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #267 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:01:57 am »
We're up for eating in Harwich and probably meeting up en route, last time we had a pleasant refreshment interlude at Wivenhoe I seem to remember.

So here's the indicative details for the post-audax tour.... We probably need a bit of a roll call
We are out of the post audax tour now - we are cycling down to Germany and have now made a booking to return by train from there... Looks like we can get a 5 country tour with NL, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and Germany!
I do have a booking for the first night at 's Hertogenbosch which I can cancel, but let me know if others are struggling to get a booking there and I can see if I can keep it and pass it on.

« Reply #268 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:07:49 am »
Please count me in for the dining experience again - most pleasant last time, as was the pub stop half way.

Maybe we can really impress the lady in Wivenhoe again by walking on her "no cycles" path?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #269 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
Ok, 'spoons lunch and then same route as last time to Harwich via Wivenhoe. Theres a community pub in Wivenhoe which I attended their beer festival and it was quite good.... perhaps worthy of a visit this time?

I'll dig out the route when I'm at my final destination.

Regards,

Joergen

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #270 on: 01 September, 2018, 12:09:26 am »
Just had a play about with the routes changing the subterranean bus trip for an extra 6km (or thereabouts) of cycling by backtracking from Lillo. Also discovered some potential slight shortcuts, worked out where might be "unsurfaced" (but don't panic, Dutch unsurfaced is not the same as the UK!) and where we needed to re-route as I don't think it was cycle paths.  As bikehike is down I used cycle.travel which was interesting once I got the hang of it.

« Reply #271 on: 03 September, 2018, 01:24:30 pm »
You have to visit to find out (if you know, please don't spoil it :) Let me know if you want to know via PM )

Fancy joining us?

Thanks for the offer, you're not that far from where i live (Helmond) - but i am out of the country round that period.
My wife updated me on the McDonalds, she gets out more than me ...  ::-) - have a great trip.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #272 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:01:13 pm »
News update for Saturday 15th Sept

Process for those doing the DIY 200
 - one of us will enter the DIY
 - they will share the reference number
 - all others can then enter their own DIY using the same reference
 - this will then be a group DIY following a mandatory route

I'm aiming to do steps 1 and 2 tomorrow evening, unless anybody thinks there should be a route change.

Friday evening food at Waterfront Dovercourt
I have booked a table for 14 at 7pm, but expect people to arrive between 7 and 7:30pm.
 - if you do not plan to eat there, or cannot make that time, please let me know
 - as we are a large group, the restaurant would like to have food orders in advance
 - could you please PM me, or post here no later than Monday 10th, what you'd like
 - menus can be found at http://www.waterfrontharwich.co.uk/menus/

The route
Thanks to bhoot, jiberjaber and huggy, we have the following route to share
 - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28530231
 - the route finishes in Lies, from where we can head for somewhere to eat & drink in the vicinity of Breda
 - there are plenty of food/drinking options along the route, I'll share a plan at the beginning of next week

As jiberjaber pointed out, this is not an ACME organised event, just a group of individuals riding together. So please make sure you have adequate insurance and such like.

« Reply #273 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:26:56 pm »
A big thank you to Psyclist, Jibbers, Bhoot, Huggy and everyone else who has contributed to the planning. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I sit in awe :o at the combined knowledge that has resulted in the 200k DIY and the associated day trips.

Cheers

Grey Sheep

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #274 on: 06 September, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
Good work team!  Thanking you  :-*

Yesterday evening Andrew and I were discussing Sunday options for those who need to get back to the Hoek for the Sunday night ferry.
 I have just used THIS SITE to produce THIS ROUTE.  I have no idea what it's like in reality so someone with more Dutch knowledge might like to sanity check it.  Failing that we just give it a go. 

The other option to simply ask Googlemaps on one of our smartphones to give us a cycling route back to the ferry.  This is what Oaky and I did last year when we turned left at Gouda.  I have a Quadlock mount on Fred's stem so just clicked my iPhone on powered off my dynohub.  We found Googlemaps knew all of the cyclepaths and gave us verbal turn-by-turn instructions, proper clever it was.