Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 82888 times)

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #275 on: 06 September, 2018, 10:56:55 am »
A big thank you to Psyclist, Jibbers, Bhoot, Huggy and everyone else who has contributed to the planning. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I sit in awe :o at the combined knowledge that has resulted in the 200k DIY and the associated day trips.

Cheers

Grey Sheep

Echoing what Jan says. Thank you all involved.
It'll be my first bike tour. I can't think of any other lunatics responsible adults I'd rather be doing it with.
Really looking forward to it. :)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #276 on: 06 September, 2018, 11:00:32 am »
We need to find some of those "special" brownies. I've been to the Netherlands a few times recently and never managed to find any. Do they exist or are they a myth?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #277 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:27:21 pm »
I have just used THIS SITE to produce THIS ROUTE.  I have no idea what it's like in reality so someone with more Dutch knowledge might like to sanity check it.  Failing that we just give it a go. 

It looks like you are cycling on water after. Oud Beijerland, the vehicle ferry we all used last time is a bit further west. Beware of being routed via seasonal ferries when it isn't the season!
It also seems to end up somewhere round the back of Albert Heijns not at the boat but I am sure you can sort that out.
I could also suggest a route via a self winding ferry as I am sure you would like that...but that would mean going through the Benelux tunnel to Vlaardingen before heading north west to Hoek.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #278 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
I also feel I should point out that it will be "ACME goes Dutch and a little bit Belgian", however the border crossings will be very painless thanks to that wonderful thing called Schengen.
Apologies to the eagle-eyed who had already spotted this.

« Reply #279 on: 06 September, 2018, 07:00:10 pm »
I also feel I should point out that it will be "ACME goes Dutch and a little bit Belgian"

I'll need to remember to wear my ACME coloured Belgium socks then  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #280 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:57:27 pm »

Process for those doing the DIY 200
 - one of us will enter the DIY
 - they will share the reference number
 - all others can then enter their own DIY using the same reference
 - this will then be a group DIY following a mandatory route

I'm aiming to do steps 1 and 2 tomorrow evening, unless anybody thinks there should be a route change.

I have completed steps 1 and 2. The DIY Event ID that you need to quote on your entry is 10295. I have forewarned Paul, and I would guess you will need to enter the ID in the notes box on the AUK mandatory route DIY page.

Don't forget to enter this as a mandatory route DIY. Obviously you only need to enter if you're planning on claiming the points.

For your reference, the other details on the entry form that I used are:

DIY Organiser: Paul Stewart
Points distance: 200km
Start date: 15/09/2018
Start control: Hoek Van Holland
Total distance: 207km
List of controls:
  Antwerpen
  Bergen op Zoom
  Lies

« Reply #281 on: 07 September, 2018, 07:22:36 am »
Oops, I had the wrong event ID previously. Now corrected in the post above. To confirm, the correct entry ID that Paul needs is 10295

Oscar's dad

« Reply #282 on: 07 September, 2018, 10:18:57 am »
... I could also suggest a route via a self winding ferry as I am sure you would like that...but that would mean going through the Benelux tunnel to Vlaardingen before heading north west to Hoek.

Yes please!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #283 on: 07 September, 2018, 10:28:15 am »

Process for those doing the DIY 200
 - one of us will enter the DIY
 - they will share the reference number
 - all others can then enter their own DIY using the same reference
 - this will then be a group DIY following a mandatory route

I'm aiming to do steps 1 and 2 tomorrow evening, unless anybody thinks there should be a route change.

I have completed steps 1 and 2. The DIY Event ID that you need to quote on your entry is 10295. I have forewarned Paul, and I would guess you will need to enter the ID in the notes box on the AUK mandatory route DIY page.

Don't forget to enter this as a mandatory route DIY. Obviously you only need to enter if you're planning on claiming the points.

For your reference, the other details on the entry form that I used are:

List of controls:
  Antwerpen
  Bergen op Zoom
  Lies

[Groan] I've just remembered, this is another reason I don't do many audaxes, too much admin!  I appreciate we can only submit our gpx track after the ride but what do we need to do beforehand?  And why isn't my AUK Fairy (huggy) doing this for me???

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #284 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:14:50 am »
And why isn't my AUK Fairy (huggy) doing this for me???

Because he's too busy helping me with my Bl&%dy Garmin and a million tracks for the Flatlands that I am really NOT looking forward to.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #285 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:24:44 am »

Because he's too busy helping me with my Bl&%dy Garmin and a million tracks for the Flatlands that I am really NOT looking forward to.

I shall be thinking of you all as we enjoy the delights of Cambridge and the comfort of our caravan  :smug:

« Reply #286 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:44:26 am »
I thought your route guidance system was to follow the Lynx's arse!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #287 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:18:20 pm »
Further to Psychlist's advice* above, when entering a DIY SE group perm, select the advisory entry form and enter your name* and set the start and 1st/last control to the DIYSE Brevet number (to satisfy the entry form validation requirements) and I'll fill in the rest of the Brevet details from my records. [I've updated my 'note to group orgs to pass this on. ]

*I'm depending on you knowing that bit...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #288 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:34:53 pm »
Further to Psychlist's advice* above, when entering a DIY SE group perm, select the *advisory* entry form and enter your name* and set the start and 1st/last control to the DIYSE Brevet number (to satisfy the entry form validation requirements) and I'll fill in the rest of the Brevet details from my records.

*I'm depending on you knowing that...

Thanks for the advice Paul, I think I've completely fooked up my entry successfully entered and hopefully something has popped up at your end.  In the real world I'm Steve Rowley  :thumbsup:

« Reply #289 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:54:07 pm »
Sorry Paul, I also manged to get it wrong :facepalm:
Further to Psychlist's advice* above, when entering a DIY SE group perm, select the *advisory* entry form and enter your name* and set the start and 1st/last control to the DIYSE Brevet number (to satisfy the entry form validation requirements) and I'll fill in the rest of the Brevet details from my records.

Thanks for the advice Paul, I think I've completely fooked up my entry successfully entered and hopefully something has popped up at your end.  In the real world I'm Steve Rowley  :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #290 on: 07 September, 2018, 02:00:53 pm »
Should the need to turn left arise THIS CHEEKY ROUTE might suffice  ;D  You will note it turns left off the official route then rejoins it.

« Reply #291 on: 07 September, 2018, 02:34:53 pm »
Sorry Paul, I also manged to get it wrong

He has your entry lined up, I had a confirming email earlier.

I’ve also learnt a bit about group DIYs today, or rather the entry process.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #292 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:46:15 pm »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o You've entered a 200km Audax!  :o :o :o :o
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #293 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:50:39 pm »
Entering is one thing, completing it is another. Remember the last time I entered and started a 200k audax?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #294 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »
Entering is one thing, completing it is another. Remember the last time I entered and started a 200k audax?
Yes, but can't remember the last time you validated one  ;D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #295 on: 07 September, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »
2015 probably.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #296 on: 07 September, 2018, 04:53:59 pm »
Further to Psychlist's advice* above, when entering a DIY SE group perm, select the advisory entry form and enter your name* and set the start and 1st/last control to the DIYSE Brevet number (to satisfy the entry form validation requirements) and I'll fill in the rest of the Brevet details from my records. [I've updated my 'note to group orgs to pass this on. ]

So, to make sure I've got this right and to recap/combine the information in Manotea and Psyclist's posts

Use the advisory route form (not the mandatory)

Put in the following on the form:
Code: [Select]

Put in your DIYSE number into the start and finish controls

Put Psyclist's code (10295) in the Notes field

Correct?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #297 on: 07 September, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #298 on: 07 September, 2018, 05:43:19 pm »
Submitted my Advisory DIY by GPS perm entry.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #299 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:49:43 pm »

So, to make sure I've got this right and to recap/combine the information in Manotea and Psyclist's posts

I think Manotea's instructions supersede mine, so you just need to follow his instructions and include only the start and end destination. Plus include DIYSE Brevet number.

I've had confirmation that OD, Grey Sheep and Huggy have successfully entered so far.