Author Topic: ACME goes Dutch  (Read 83100 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME goes Dutch
« Reply #325 on: 11 September, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »

I've finalised my suggested routes for next week and cobbled up some rough timings and and locations for coffee and scran. 
The only night I haven't thought about is Tuesday as Ted wants to go full on space cadet raving so have left that open at the moment - we may need to pack dancing pants..  :o

My list from this thread indicates:
Sat - Wed Full Experience:
* jiberjaber
* grey sheep
* huggy
* ted
* Jem
* Lynx
(6 riders)

Weekend Warriors:
* Chris
* Pat
* bhoot + 1
* oaky
* oscar's dad
* the straggler
* Psyclist
(8 riders plus the 6 full = 14 riders total for Saturday)

Anyone missing from the list?  ???

I'll PM the link to the outline itinerary to the Full Experience guys.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #326 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:06:10 pm »
Bit of a daft question (which can only come from me) - is anybody taking hard currency Euros on the trip or relying on modern tech of debit/credit/ phones for payments.

I would imagine you would probably go for travellers cheques being old school as you are  ;D

OK folks, thanks for your replies. I take the advice from the Legal Expert.  Travellers cheques it is then.  :thumbsup:
CCS - Setting the Standards

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #327 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:15:49 pm »
It’s well known that cheese is legal tender in The Netherlands.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #328 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:11:22 am »
Sooo... just in case some of you haven't worked out where the routes are, they are all here:

https://ridewithgps.com/events/62526-acme-dutch-2018

And here's the proposed route from the end of Saturdays Audax to the Hotel (through Breda via the home of the wonderful 3 horseshoes)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28575357
Regards,

Joergen

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #329 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:37:26 am »
Is anyone not intending on doing the audax - or the full audax but part thereof?
After elbow plant into carpark at the end of Sunday's ride which has resulted in a very bruised and tender arm, as well as breathing issues again (Yes! I will listen next time Sister Carol :facepalm:) I'm actually toying with the idea of being sensible ....... having an easy day pootling rather than stressing about being slow, time limits and whether my carcass will stay together, so I can enjoy the easier days.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #330 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:48:15 am »
Is anyone not intending on doing the audax - or the full audax but part thereof?
After elbow plant into carpark at the end of Sunday's ride which has resulted in a very bruised and tender arm, as well as breathing issues again (Yes! I will listen next time Sister Carol :facepalm:) I'm actually toying with the idea of being sensible ....... having an easy day pootling rather than stressing about being slow, time limits and whether my carcass will stay together, so I can enjoy the easier days.

I’m in two minds, I will see how I feel on Saturday. If you look up thread you’ll see my “turn left” option which circumcises the dangly willy bit of the route.

Jem

« Reply #331 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:04:48 am »

I’m in two minds, I will see how I feel on Saturday. If you look up thread you’ll see my “turn left” option which circumcises the dangly willy bit of the route.

mmmm......that might be the answer for me. I'll see how I feel on Sat too and decide then whether I start the audax at all,  or start with the intention of cutting short.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #332 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:33:02 am »
I've just consulted with our GenSec regarding the Sat - Wed Full Experience group plans and I would advise though we might not by full-on raving, some civvies might be a good idea.... so I'll probably pack a pair of something....  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #333 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:34:24 pm »
Sunday Options for Sunday Riders

For those ambling back to Hoek on the Sunday we have 2 options. I would suggest we take both routes, then decide on the day. Again courtesy of bhoot and jiberjaber we have:

Option A - 93km - [Weekend Warriors Sunday A - A bike ride in Breda, Noord-Brabant](https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28585468?privacy_code=J8wkVRo6WgqwIk3U)
Highlights :
22km - coffee at Proost cafe
38km - lunch in Williamstad - lovely restaurant with outdoor seating
80km - dinner at Maassluis - Smaak & Meer - pizza and craft beer

Option B - 127km - [Weekend Warriors Sunday B - A bike ride in Breda, Noord-Brabant](https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28585518?privacy_code=iWuQuWMeyJ7bZXB4)
Highlights:
115km - dinner at Maassluis - Smaak & Meer - pizza and craft beer

Probably something midway between lunch and dinner on option B. I’ll take a look later.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #334 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:36:00 pm »
I've just consulted with our GenSec regarding the Sat - Wed Full Experience group plans and I would advise though we might not by full-on raving, some civvies might be a good idea.... so I'll probably pack a pair of something....  :thumbsup:
The golden thong of ambition??!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #335 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:04:20 pm »

mmmm......that might be the answer for me. I'll see how I feel on Sat too and decide then whether I start the audax at all,  or start with the intention of cutting short.

Team "Turn Left" potentially growing.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #336 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:10:08 pm »
Sunday Options for Sunday Riders

For those ambling back to Hoek on the Sunday we have 2 options. I would suggest we take both routes, then decide on the day. Again courtesy of bhoot and jiberjaber we have:

Option A - 93km - [Weekend Warriors Sunday A - A bike ride in Breda, Noord-Brabant](https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28585468?privacy_code=J8wkVRo6WgqwIk3U)
Highlights :
80km - dinner at Maassluis - Smaak & Meer - pizza and craft beer

Option B - 127km - [Weekend Warriors Sunday B - A bike ride in Breda, Noord-Brabant](https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28585518?privacy_code=iWuQuWMeyJ7bZXB4)
Highlights:
115km - dinner at Maassluis - Smaak & Meer - pizza and craft beer

Probably something midway between lunch and dinner on option B. I’ll take a look later.

Can I just point out, there's no fookin' way I'm riding 79 miles on Sunday, 56 miles is more than adequate.  Happy to go it alone if needs be.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #337 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:12:50 pm »

I think we might need to make this happen.  Think of the possibilities the extra time off the bike will afford us: beer, cheese, bitter balls, beer (did I mention beer already?), "special" brownies...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #338 on: 13 September, 2018, 01:17:47 pm »
Mind you, looking at the "official" route, perhaps turning left after the big water crossing might be betterer.  There's a cyclepath along side A58.

« Reply #339 on: 13 September, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
I think we might need to make this happen.

Crikey. In the space of 12 hours I've not seen such a 'flip-flop', 'u-turn' or 'backflip'. It couldn't have been you that said "you turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning".

But it does make logistics somewhat easier if we know there's a small group planning on a diversion. I hope that we are able to enjoy a good long section to begin as a large group, but then if there's a split and we know only those taking the shorter route are drifting back, everybody's mind will be eased.

« Reply #340 on: 13 September, 2018, 03:01:39 pm »
If I make it over there may well be an ACME C peloton (ie me) riding the Audax behind everyone else.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Jem

« Reply #341 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:31:20 pm »

I think we might need to make this happen.  Think of the possibilities the extra time off the bike will afford us: beer, cheese, bitter balls, beer (did I mention beer already?), "special" brownies...

Yes please!! ;D :thumbsup:
I'm on holiday - not boot camp  ;)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #342 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:55:51 pm »
Weather looking good for Friday and Saturday - time to change of course but might be a tailwind for the first 130km!  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #343 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:56:45 pm »
Right then, Team Turn Left is officially a thing. Shame we haven’t got time to organise cycling jerseys.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #344 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #346 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #347 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:28:33 pm »
Aha, some things make a bit more sense now

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #348 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:17:41 pm »
Right then, Team Turn Left is officially a thing. Shame we haven’t got time to organise cycling jerseys.

Are you actually going to bother bringing bicycles?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #349 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:43:59 am »

Are you actually going to bother bringing bicycles?

Don't get too smug, you're on the team as well.  I have been communicating with your handler.