Author Topic: Etrex H or GPS60  (Read 8651 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Etrex H or GPS60
« on: 05 March, 2009, 08:40:40 pm »
The time has come to get a GPS, mainly to use for Audaxing and seeing where I've been when sea kayaking. I don't want to spend a lot, and I have narrowed the choice down to two Garmin models, the Etrex H and the GPS 60. The GPS 60 has a longer battery life, which will be handy for Audaxing, and also a slightly larger screen (it also has a man overboard button which will not be any good in a solo kayak). The Etrex H has the high sensitivity reciever, which may be useful. There seem to be lots of people using he Etrex H for Audaxing, but I have not seen anyone with the GPS 60. Does anyone have any experience of using the GPS 60 for Audaxing?

Re: Etrex H or GPS60
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:18:33 pm »
What's wrong with a routesheet?

I started off using a gps for audax, but quickly got tired of spending an hour or so plotting the route.   I suppose it is something to play with in the wee hours.

Have a 60csx.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:28:07 pm »
What's wrong with a routesheet?

I started off using a gps for audax, but quickly got tired of spending an hour or so plotting the route.   I suppose it is something to play with in the wee hours.

Have a 60csx.

There's nothing wrong with a route sheet. IMO it is more important than a GPS, but there are times when a GPS comes into its own, especially when at night or when tired.

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
I much prefer GPS over routesheet but I'd still be happy to use a routesheet if necessary. I always carry it with me (and keep the routesheet holder in the bag just in case.

Spending an hour plotting the route also gives me an idea where it goes, and looking at the maps gives me an idea of what the terrain will be like.

Item for item the GPS60 looks better, but it is £100 more.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »
I much prefer GPS over routesheet but I'd still be happy to use a routesheet if necessary. I always carry it with me (and keep the routesheet holder in the bag just in case.

Spending an hour plotting the route also gives me an idea where it goes, and looking at the maps gives me an idea of what the terrain will be like.

Item for item the GPS60 looks better, but it is £100 more.

I can get the GPS60 for about £110 and that includes the data cable, or the Etrex H for about £65 plus another £15 for the cable, so the difference isn't that great.

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2009, 09:46:55 pm »
The non-USB-ness of the eTrex H is a big downpoint.

One cable I bought from eBay is dead, the second one is a much better design.

As long as you get an eTrex with v3 software on it you'll be fine. The v2 software only allows one route of 50 points which isn't enough for a 100km Audax. (The v3 software eTrex will be fine for LEL, it's what I plan on using. You get a maximum of 20 routes of 120 points each but the unit is subject to a 1020 point total limit.)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »
... seeing where I've been when sea kayaking. ... have narrowed the choice down to two Garmin models, the Etrex H and the GPS 60.

The Garmin 76 series are the same as the 60 series, but differently packaged.  Significantly, they float if dropped in water, whereas the 60 series sink.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:09:21 pm »
... seeing where I've been when sea kayaking. ... have narrowed the choice down to two Garmin models, the Etrex H and the GPS 60.

The Garmin 76 series are the same as the 60 series, but differently packaged.  Significantly, they float if dropped in water, whereas the 60 series sink.

but it can only handle 2048 track points, will that be enough for Audaxing? It can't handle USB either.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2009, 03:59:45 pm »
but it can only handle 2048 track points, will that be enough for Audaxing? It can't handle USB either.

Didn't know about it not being USB - that would be a big disadvantage in my book.

The 'waypoints limits' are largely an illusion - you do not need 'waypoints' in order to construct routes or tracks - they are composed of routepoints and trackpoints.  If for example, a unit spec says it can store 10 routes of 120 waypoints each, then that is a possible 1200 route points.  If it also quotes a total waypoint limit of 250, that isn't a problem because they aren't necessarily the same kind of points.  As a very rough rule of thumb, for direct turn-by-turn routing in UK mixed laney conditions, you need around 1 point per km so even 1200 is enough for anyone - most units can handle many more than this.
The Garmin documentation is extremely poor on this subject, but try:
Living with a Garmin: the waypoints limitation

New adopters may struggle with the waypoint limits initially, but with a bit of experience its 2nd nature to work around it - I have programmed a 17-day laney End-to-End project, every turn is marked but there are only about 40 waypoints in use.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:08:07 am »

I was intrigued and had another look at Garmin's specs for this unit.  I'm inclined to think that figure 2048 may be a misprint, because all other Garmin handhelds bar one, and all other 76 series handhelds, quote 10,000 as their trackpoint limit.

But that's by the way, because the 76 do, as you say, look unsuitable in other ways. 
In any case the trackpoint figure is only of interest in terms of, how much track will it record while you are riding - its not relevant to how many points you can program in (which for tracks is 10x500 on that model and the Etrex H, 20x500 on the GPS 60)
More significant is the routepoint capacity - 20x125 on the Etrex H, 50x250 on the 60. You'd never need more than 20 routes but the ability to go above the 125 limit is useful.

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
More significant is the routepoint capacity - 20x125 on the Etrex H

The 20x125 routepoint limit is also misleading. You can have up to 20 routes, each route can have up to 125 routepoints, but there's a total routepoint limit of about 1020 routepoints (and, no, it isn't 1024 routepoints but slightly under that).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:27:48 am »
What makes you think that?

I'll admit I've got no direct experience of these particular models, but on other similar models there's no correlation between the waypoint limit and the routepoint limit.

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:33:04 am »

(Note that I don't mention waypoints at all, I'm only concerned with routepoints.)

I tested it by uploading more and more distinct routes to see how much it could hold.

I'll try it again with Garmin Mapsource and see what I get (don't have the GPS with me today).

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
(Note that I don't mention waypoints at all, I'm only concerned with routepoints.)
I tested it by uploading more and more distinct routes to see how much it could hold.

OK - I do remember something of the sort on my old Geko (no longer with me) - I think that maxed out at around 1020 but I never really analysed what was going on.

I have an oldish Legend C which has quite limited specs - routes 20/250, waypoints 500 - so in between the Etrex H and the GPS 60 specwise - and I've loaded that with some pretty big projects without ever encountering a limit.  For example Le-JoG:
18 routes, totalling 1254 points,
38 waypoints,
16 tracks, totalling 6753 points
and in use it added the active log of 9990 points.

French coast-to-coast:
17 routes, 774 points
425 waypoints
14 tracks, 5320 points
+ the active log 9990

PBP (including riding there from the ferry) was a mere:
10 routes, total 971 points
427 waypoints

Just to illustrate really that a mere audax 600 doesn't really pose problems in terms of what can be stored.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »
I'll try it again with Garmin Mapsource and see what I get (don't have the GPS with me today).

Hmm - well I think the following comes under the general heading of "I need to get out more" ...

Using my most limited model, Legend C specced as routes 20x250, waypoints 500, I first loaded in 6x150 routes, total 900 points, then 6x120 routes, bringing it up to 1620 ...

then kept loading 120-point routes
[edit] and found a problem - see next message for 2nd attempt ...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2009, 06:40:53 pm »
Ah-HAH.  This time, made sure each point was uniquely named and was a unique location.

Again 1st 6 routes (A-F) are 150 points then after that they are 120 points ...
alright so far (18 routes, 2340 points) ...

then ...

gaah!

(NB the PC was saying 'transfer successful' at this point!)
a grand total of ...

2343 route points.

I'll try the same thing with a more modern Legend HCx later. 
I would expect it to take more. [edit] It did - I lost the will to live at 3120 and counting ...
If anyone wants to test their own GPS to bursting I can make the .gbd files available.
[edit]
I've put them here: http://aukadia.net/gps/files/

« Reply #16 on: 10 March, 2009, 11:00:34 am »
If anyone wants to test their own GPS to bursting I can make the .gbd files available.

Yes please, I'll test a bog standard eTrex later on this evening. You can email them to the address <--- or PM me where I can download them from. Ta very much!

« Reply #17 on: 12 March, 2009, 09:29:56 am »
frankly frankie, are those your pages at aukadia?  I've linked to them occasionally when i've posted on other fora about gps matters.  An excellent resource.

The Waypoints Limitation page got my attention for a while because I couldn't get the stated capacity when uploading routes to my 60CSx.

Without going into all the tedious details I've already done my own "soak test" for my GPS.  The 60 CSx won't "do" 50 unique routes of 250 points each.

I opened your routepoints3120.gdb file and I see that you've just clicked randomly on the map.  According to Garmin support, there's some kind of "map matching" going on when you create routes in MapSource using place names which exist on the map.  The upshot of this is that to maximise capacity on a Garmin mapping GPS it seems that routes must be created using MapSource, and in addition you must upload the map tiles containing your route to your GPS.

As you've found you can't do the capacity test by duplicating and re-naming a single route because the points are not all unique.  If you upload duplicated routes you will be able to get the stated capacity.

Before I took my issue to Garmin, my real, intended route with no waypoints would consistently fail to upload to my GPS at a shade under 5000 via points.  When they told me I must upload the matching map tiles, I found this increased the limit to almost 7500 via points. Oh, and that was after I had to re-create a large portion of my route in MapSource as it had been done in, oh, Bikely, I think.  Points clicked in Bikely didn't match up to points in MapSource.

If this "map matching" (Garmin's words) works as they say it does it seems to me that it has consequences for all third party mapping users.

If you are interested, I have a .gdb file containing 45 routes totalling, at last revision, 7771 via points which cannot be uploaded to my GPS even with the correct map tiles on the unit.  It's very detailed and has far more points per km than you suggest is necessary!  I have managed to get the entire route on my GPS by taking 18 routes out, converting them to tracks and then uploading both routes and tracks. My guess is that a Legend HCx has the same basic capacity as my 60 CSx

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #18 on: 12 March, 2009, 11:48:48 am »
Yes, my pages - and as a result of this discussion I've extensively revised the 'Waypoints Limitation' page that you mention - and by the look of it, I may have to revise it some more ...
I opened your routepoints3120.gdb file and I see that you've just clicked randomly on the map. 
Not quite like that.  The first route of 160 routepoints (in file routepoints960.gdb) is a pukka Mapsource route composed entirely of Map Points.
All the remaining routes including the ones you looked at are just a copy of the first one with the coordinates displaced.  They still seem to me to be behaving as Map Points because they still have all the road junction etc info embedded in, that the first version had.   

According to Garmin support, there's some kind of "map matching" going on when you create routes in MapSource using place names which exist on the map.  The upshot of this is that to maximise capacity on a Garmin mapping GPS it seems that routes must be created using MapSource, and in addition you must upload the map tiles containing your route to your GPS.
Yes on a map-enabled GPS there are thousands (millions?) of waypoints already loaded into the GPS, embedded in the map, known as Map Points.  Using the Route Tool in Mapsource makes use of these wherever possible.  However the resulting route still has to be able to work on a non-mapping GPS - the Route and Routpoints, once constructed, do not depend on the map.  So it appears that (some of) the Map Point data is copied into the Routepoint.  The map may give a richer navigation, but the route works (including detailed turn instructions) without it.

As you've found you can't do the capacity test by duplicating and re-naming a single route because the points are not all unique.  If you upload duplicated routes you will be able to get the stated capacity.
Yes that was what occurred on my first attempt.  After a bit of head-scratching, the 2nd go involved more processing of the duplicated points to make sure they were being seen as unique points.  So this time a limit is eventually found, for the old Legend C somewhere over 2400 - I imagine the precise figure would vary depending on how info-rich the points are - how many chars in the road names etc.

Before I took my issue to Garmin, my real, intended route with no waypoints would consistently fail to upload to my GPS at a shade under 5000 via points.  When they told me I must upload the matching map tiles, I found this increased the limit to almost 7500 via points.
That's a remarkable finding.

If this "map matching" (Garmin's words) works as they say it does it seems to me that it has consequences for all third party mapping users.
Yes indeed.
BTW, you did well to have such a meaningful dialogue with Garmin I must say!

Well please don't imagine I'm pretending to have all the answers here - oh no - but my observation is this:
Using the Route Tool in Mapsource, clicking on the map will:
a) utilise an existing User Waypoint, if it exists, copying much of the data into a Routepoint.  This effectively uses two slots in the GPS memory, 1 for the User Waypoint and 1 for the Routepoint.  (Though you always have the tickbox option not to upload your User Waypoints.)
b) failing that, utilise an existing POI (embedded in the map), again copying much of the data into a Routepoint.  This only uses one slot of GPS memory, because the POI is embedded in the map.
c) failing that and most commonly, utilise an existing Map Point.  That is, any road junction plus a whole lot of other on-road points in between.  Again, data is copied into the Routepoint and again it only uses one memory slot in the GPS.
d) failing all the above, generate a User Waypoint and a co-incident Routepoint.  This occurs if you go 'off-road'.  It uses 2 slots in the GPS.

By this logic, using any 3rd-party mapping for planning is liable to result in condition (d) above occurring all the time, so any Route will contain duplicate User Waypoints and Routepoints.

The only such 3rd-party tool I've tried is Memory Map - and in fact with MM it is not so.   The MM Route Tool generates Routepoints only, no User Waypoints.  Presumably they are also quite info-poor so might be quite efficient in terms of memory usage - I don't know, haven't explored that far.

If you are interested, I have a .gdb file containing 45 routes totalling, at last revision, 7771 via points which cannot be uploaded to my GPS even with the correct map tiles on the unit.  It's very detailed and has far more points per km than you suggest is necessary!  I have managed to get the entire route on my GPS by taking 18 routes out, converting them to tracks and then uploading both routes and tracks. My guess is that a Legend HCx has the same basic capacity as my 60 CSx
Sounds huge!  Please by all means send it - my email is in the sidebar (I don't seem to be able to remove it  >:(
(please zip it if poss - I'm rather averse to large files)
The Legend HCx and 60CSx have different chipsets - the 60 being generally considered to be marginally the better, I think.

« Reply #19 on: 12 March, 2009, 12:02:45 pm »
Sounds huge!  Please by all means send it - my email is in the sidebar (I don't seem to be able to remove it  >:(

No it's not. You can always see it, but if you've selected it to be hidden then other people can't see it.

It's an annoying feature of SMF.

« Reply #20 on: 12 March, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »
Before I took my issue to Garmin, my real, intended route with no waypoints would consistently fail to upload to my GPS at a shade under 5000 via points.  When they told me I must upload the matching map tiles, I found this increased the limit to almost 7500 via points. Oh, and that was after I had to re-create a large portion of my route in MapSource as it had been done in, oh, Bikely, I think.  Points clicked in Bikely didn't match up to points in MapSource.

[guess]
If a via point is present in a map tile, all that has to be stored is a reference to that point.
If a via point isn't present in a map tile, the GPS has to store a latitude, an logitude, and possibly an ID.
Presumably the matching would be done at upload time, since you could have created a route in Mapsource using a map tile that wasn't on the GPS.
[/guess]

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #21 on: 12 March, 2009, 04:16:45 pm »
This has been an outrageous thread-highjack, for which I'm mainly responsible and apologise, so I've moved a reply to a new 'Waypoints limits' thread.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #22 on: 16 March, 2009, 02:07:10 pm »
I went to Blacks yesterday to have a look at the Etrex H and the GPS 60 with a view to coming home and ordering a GPS on the web, the best price on the net for the Etrex H being about £65 and the GPS60 being about £115.  The Etrex H in Blacks was £70 and they had a GPS60 with the wrong price on - £120. I asked the assistant what discount they gave for CTC membership and was told 10%. I said I'd have the GPS60, but when the assistant rang it up on the till he told me it was priced wrongly and I'd have to pay £140. I told him that it was an infringement of the Sale of Goods act to advertise goods at one price, then charge another and that as far as I know he had an obiligation to sell it to me at £120. He reluctantly did a manual discount and asked me for £120, so I told hime he had forgotten the CTC discount and gave him my CTC card. He then reluctantly discounted the price again by another 10%. Result!

On opening the box my first impressions were that the designers at Garmin had put a lot of thought into making a unit that was impossible to mount anywhere without spending more money on a Garmin mount. An order for some Polymorph will sort that out!

I've just got back from a 10 mile lunch time ride round the lanes near here and I followed a route that I had loaded from TrackLogs. I've a bit to learn, but so far I'm pretty impressed.

A quick question though. I'm planning on doing the End of Hibernation Audax on Sunday, and I have downloaded the GPX and sent it to the GPS. Is that all I need to do?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 16 March, 2009, 02:21:43 pm »
I told him that it was an infringement of the Sale of Goods act to advertise goods at one price, then charge another and that as far as I know he had an obiligation to sell it to me at £120.

You were lucky that he didn't know the law then!  :thumbsup:

All he had to do was politely refuse your offer, then change the displayed price. It would only be a matter requiring the law if it remained at the wrong price, still there as an invitation to treat.
It is simpler than it looks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:26:47 am »
A quick question though. I'm planning on doing the End of Hibernation Audax on Sunday, and I have downloaded the GPX and sent it to the GPS. Is that all I need to do?

It depends what information the GPX contained.  If it includes a Route or Routes, then that should be OK (though caveat*) - you do still need to load the Route on the day, in the Route menu. 

If it only includes a Track or Tracks (which is quite common for GPX files), you'd need to verify that the Tracks aren't too big - there is a limit of 500 points per Track, and bigger ones just truncate on upload.  You'd also need to check that they are displaying on the map, because there is a menu setting to switch each track on and off - they usually import 'on' but it doesn't seem 100% reliable.  Colour the Track too - green is good - to highlight it on the map. (Cancel that, you don't have a map so no need).  Maybe experiment with using 'Trackback'.  All this in the Tracks menu.

* After a few years of this, I've come to the conclusion that sharing Routes doesn't really work very well - everyone has different ideas of how best to construct a route.  So personally I wouldn't want to rely on someone else's Route, just blind on the day, nor would I want someone else relying on mine.  Tracks are much safer in this respect, even though they are not so 'smart'.