Author Topic: Updating OSM Maps  (Read 9281 times)

Updating OSM Maps
« on: 16 October, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
I have been experimenting with TrekBuddy for my BlackBerry and have reluctantly given up with trying to use OS Maps with it (500m errors!) but OSM Maps work just fine.  However there are large chunks of road and paths missing so it makes sense to update the maps where I am aware of gaps in the coverage.

Is there an idiots' guide to going about this as all the stuff I have seen so far is very geeky.  I assume you ride about collecting tracks and then upload this data to a server in the sky.  Does each road (path) need a separate GPS track, how do you differentiate between different types of road, how do you go about uploading and where to?  Does updating OSM Cyclemap also update Mapnik and others?

I cannot even find a key to symbols used in the maps.

Thanks

R

PS:  what's to stop one creating a track from a mapping website and using that to update OSM?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Updating OSM Maps
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2009, 03:37:59 pm »
It's easier than it looks :)  First, register on the OSM site.  You need to be registered to make changes.

Updating maps goes in these stages.

1: Get your track off the GPS.
2: Upload your track to OpenStreetMap.
3: Draw over the track, which smooths out the GPS wobbles and makes sure things line up.
4: Give the things you've drawn 'tags' which tell OpenStreetMap what it is.

1: This is device-dependent; you'll be getting a GPX file out of it. 

2: Go here - OpenStreetMap | Login and upload your GPX.  Wait a while (circa 20 minutes, sometimes much faster) for it to me processed.  You will recieve an email when it's done.

3: From just about anywhere, click Edit.  This launches the online editor in your browser.  Choose "Edit live" unless you really want to work offline.  To view GPS traces, click the little GPS icon in the bottom-left that looks like a phone or calculator.

OSM has 'ways' and 'points'.  A road is one way, made up of yea-many points.  A dual carriageway is two one-way ways; a cycle track might be a parallel way to a road.  Pavements are usually not marked, they're assumed.

Say you start on a main road and want to draw a side-road that doesn't exist yet.  Mouse over the main road and it will light up; click now, and you get a drawing tool with a trailing line.  Click neatly along your trace.

To end editing, hit return or double-click.  To abandon this edit, hit escape.

To add a point, either double-click or drag one of the points from the palette at the bottom of the editing window.

To enclose an area, finish by clicking on your start point.

Un-tagged ways don't appear on maps, so you can leave the work half-done.  :)

Once you've drawn your ways, select one to tag it.  To select a way, mouse over it and click once: it will highlight your selection in yellow.

For most common roads there is a preset.  See the box with a car / houses / trees icon in the bottom-middle?  That is the preset-o-matic.  Car = roads, bike=bike stuff, tree=land use and so on.  Click through to something credible, then click 'no preset' and choose from the list.  This builds a list of standard tags.

Because this is wiki-land, you can make up tags on the fly, but the standard ones get drawn on maps :)

Commonly, for example, you'd have highway=residential for a residential road; highway=footway for a footpath; amenity=pub for a pub point, landuse=forest for maintained woods, and so on.

You'll want to add detail.  For example, highway=secondary will come with a blank ref= tag for the reference; so you can add B123.  All highways want names, not all get 'em.  Names are optional for everything, but are the most useful optional tag.

Some of the tagging schemes are simple, some of them more involved (amenity=restaurant, name=Golden Palace, cuisine=chinese) and some, like seamarks, are downright byzantine - but the basic stuff is basic.

So, to add that residential side-road:

1: Hover on the main road and click to start off attached to the road.
2: Draw your trace nicely - smooth out wiggles the GPS introduces using your memory that this bit was straight and this bit was a nice curve.
3: Double-click the end to finish.
4: The way remains highlighted so you don't have to select it.
5: Click the preset icon until you get the car.
6: Choose Residential Road then add the name into the box that appears.
7: Click off the road to de-select it and your changes are automatically uploaded.
8: Add manual tags if you like.

You can always make changes at any time.  Be bold!  An iffy map is more useful than no map at all. 

Advanced: If you're adding cycle ways parallel to main roads, remember to join them up at junctions.  This makes bike routing work better.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2009, 03:46:20 pm »
It's easier than it looks :) 

It does sound easy when put like that!  Thanks.

I'll try shortly with bits local to me.

What about the q regarding other OSM maps and 'stealing' GPX tracks from mapping websites?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »
When you make an edit, it's to the master database.  Other maps will update from the master database according to their whim:

The main slippy map updates hourly or so.
Opencyclemap update every couple of weeks, I think.
Cloudmade update about once a month.
Geofabrik, the mirror which I use to get country extracts for GPS map-making, updated nightly.

what's to stop one creating a track from a mapping website and using that to update OSM?

Copyright.  When you sign up you agree not to do that!  Ditto tracing Google Earth's high-res photos, or tracing OS maps.

There are out-of-copyright maps that you can trace, which is great for things that don't change much like mountains.  It's useless for residential areas as out-of-copyright means very old - at least 50 years.  To view these maps as a background, click the Settings (tick in a box) icon bottom-left, then choose "Out of copyright" from the selection list.  There are other alternatives too, have a play.  Not everything appears at every zoom level.

If you're tracing an NPE-mapped feature, it's good practice to tag it with source=NPE.  This lets a future mapper know that the feature used to exist, so it probably still exists, and that their GPS trace will be substantially more accurate than the tracing so they can update happily.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2009, 04:17:58 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for the eejit's guide. Since you make it sound so easy, I might just give it a go when I get some time next week.

I have some as yet un-mapped roads I found on a DIY 200k and know of some local cycle paths that need to be added.

Plodder
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »
Warning: Addictive
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2009, 11:56:43 pm »
Using the "Edit" tab on OSm really is easy.  It's got better and better.

I've just uploaded a GPS trace from today's walk.   Thanks to having a printout of the OS map next to me I've been able to correctly define which bits of the trace was footpath, bridleway and track (already confirmed on the ground that the signs were right ;) ).  Then I noticed that all the other footpaths/bridleways/tracks marked on the map and that I passed on the ground matched the Yahoo aerial view as cutting through the trees.  Therefore a few more clicks and they went on the map too; but this time with a "source" tag of "Yahoo" instead of "GPS".

Only one thing to add to Andy's advice above, when your track gets to an existing road MAKE SURE YOU JOIN IT.  i.e. hover over the road and click it to add a point in. Double check this by clicking each way afterwards to show that the point exists on both ways.

Unless you do this then routing doesn't work for people using the maps produced from your input.  

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2009, 01:19:57 pm »
Easy it may be, obvious it is not!

Andy and Nutty both talk about tagging the source but I'm blowed if I can see how to do it.

It appears that selecting GPS traces displays every GPS trace loaded into the system - this can't be right can it?

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »
Display the GPS tracks, but just create your own ways.

i.e., this is what I do.

Sign in, get map to correct location, click the edit tab.
click the icon that shows GPS traces.  Recognise my own, am amazed at others already there.
Click on the existing road/path where my GPS trace left it and headed into uncharted territory.  If there isn't a point on that road at that point then I shift+click the road to insert a point.
When you hover over that point a message shows in the top right hand corner of the screen to say you are over point xyz and to shift+click it to start a new way.  Do this.
As I move the mouse away from the point it holds a straight line back to the point where I started.  I then click over my GPS trace when it starts to bend and that line I'm drawing no longer covers it.
click click click click my way along the trace until I get to the end, either a junction on my trace that is in uncharted territory, or an existing road.  If it is an existing road then when you hover over it all the points in the way show up so yuo know you're over it.  Clicking here will insert a point.  Double click to end.
Then highlight the way by clicking on it, and set all the tags etc.

It really is easy.  But it is also hard to grasp until it suddenly makes sense  ;D.   The editing page is improving dramatically every time I visit it!  It is much easier now than it used to be.

In the past I got it wrong because I was trying to convert my GPS trace to a track and use it for accuracy.  I've now learned that it's easy just to click click click on the background map to create the lines.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »
The accurate route will be the eyeball-sensible average of a bunch of GPS traces, usually - that's why it makes sense to show all traces.

To work with just your trace, go to OpenStreetMap | Login then click the Edit link next to your trace.  It'll load the editor with your trace and waypoints.

(The waypoints are new - that used not to be the case.  I go mad with waypoints when I'm mapping so it's another improvement!)

« Reply #10 on: 19 October, 2009, 04:24:43 pm »
Thanks, we're getting there!

Two more questions though - how do I define a road/path that is either over or under another (bridge or underpass) and how do I mark a village or small town?

Working with my own trace is good as is working in dual screen mode with google maps showing the track on the other screen.  This is in an area where there is no detail BTW.

« Reply #11 on: 19 October, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »
Tunnel/Bridge.

You use the tag "layer="
You also use the tag to define the tunnel.

Key:tunnel - OpenStreetMap

Also, don't forget to insert points in the way at either end of the tunnel and bridge, and then cut the way at those points, so that the tags only apply to the short section of way that is a tunnel/bridge.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:18:00 pm »
To cut the way, select a point on the way and click the scissors icon bottom-left.  'layer' is optional for bridges as it's assumed.  If the bridge has a proper name, use that for the bridge section (most don't).  So if you had a road that goes over a railway, it would be three sections:

Section 1:
highway=unclassified
name=Flagenstrasse

Section 2:
highway=unclassified
name=Flagenstrasse Old Bridge
bridge=yes

Section 3:
highway=unclassified
name=Flagenstrasse

...incidentally if a watercourse goes into a conduit and goes under a road, instead of the road bridging the watercourse (very common round here with streams), you can set a section of the watercourse with tunnel=yes.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:22:06 pm »
To mark a settlement, lay a point and use the "buildings and skyscrapers" icon in the tags.  The actual tag is place:

place=hamlet
place=village
place=town

...all the place=city settlements in the UK are there already :)

There's also place=locality for less clearly defined areas like hillsides; round here, they're used for crossroads, which are often named and commonly used: "Go up to Felching Cross and it's on yer left."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #14 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »
round here, they're used for crossroads, which are often named and commonly used: "Go up to Felching Cross and it's on yer left."

And some signposts* also have the OS grid reference

*Possibly only 1 signpost.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:24:04 pm »
There's also place=locality for less clearly defined areas like hillsides; round here, they're used for crossroads, which are often named and commonly used: "Go up to Felching Cross and it's on yer left."

Ooh - I'd been wondering how to tag crossroads. As you say, they are really common around here and with many roads having no names, are the only realistic way of navigating. Thanks for the hint!

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2009, 08:26:05 pm »
Warning: Addictive

You're not  wrong, anorak on order.   :-\
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2009, 05:06:06 pm »
More questions I'm afraid!

How long between editing and the result showing up in view mode?  I've pressed F5 and waited an hour or so.  There are some errors in the mapping (a long straight diagonal line that should be a boundary) that I corrected (maybe my mistake in clicking the wrong line!) that are not showing up in view mode.

How can ways be visible in view and not in edit - again strange diagonal roads?

How to draw in roundabouts?

How to outline a habitation area?

What is the best browser to use - Firefox seems to go on a go slow at times; Chrome seems better?

I'm mapping in an area that has virtually no mapping at present (very rural France!).

Thanks

« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2009, 07:56:36 pm »
I use potlatch under firefox. 

With the recent updates it is fantastic, brilliant, easy to use and the few minor bugs I used to find have been completely eradicated.

« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2009, 10:55:49 am »
Can you link to an example of this?

Dunno how to link to an area and edit mode is playing up so cannot even see the area at the moment.  But if you search for 'La Chapelle St Martial' the location arrow points to the area but a bit south of where it should be.  The vaguely triangular lake is the village (well it's not, but you know what I mean!!).  You'll see a dotty line scything across at around 45deg which is the border line that has been corrupted.  The lower left (SE) end is where it originates.  The top right end is erroneous.
Just above the lake and to the east are the two diagonal roads that I couldn't see in edit mode.  There's also a gap in the white road that I have not yet investigated.

Any links to JOSM and is it worth a non geek trying it??

R

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2009, 11:13:20 am »
But if you search for 'La Chapelle St Martial' the location arrow points to the area but a bit south of where it should be.

There will often just be a POI with the village name, and nothing else in that vicinity at all.  Because in places like rural France there is or was so little to relate it to, the POI is often quite badly misplaced.  In which case, just move it.

I think mapping through rural France (I've added over 2000km of minor roads in France in the last 9 months) shows how 'they' have very different priorities and ideas of what is important.
Even in areas where no roads have been mapped at all, its quite common to find all the political boundaries, departments etc, meticulously laid out - and also very often farm boundaries and particularly vineyards, mapped with great precision - and of the road network, nothing whatever to be seen!

I also find it a bit strange, mapping a linear route through the country on tertiary or unclassified roads (as you do after a cycling tour) - when a nearby parallel route on primary roads remains unmapped.  This leads to a potentially very undesirable result - especially if traffic were to use the OSM map with autorouting switched on, while it is in this undeveloped state.

(Mind, there are some areas in France which are very thoroughly mapped - university towns, take a look at Brest for example.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2009, 11:16:04 am »
to find all the political boundaries, departments etc, meticulously laid out - and also very often farm boundaries and particularly vineyards, mapped with great precision - and of the road network, nothing whatever to be seen!

Exactly what I found!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2009, 11:40:58 am »
I think that's because that data was imported from a public data set. It's data that can't be easily tracked on the ground.

French rules mean you can, in theory, use Cadastre (the formal state uber-map) and trace every building.  Cadastre is available as a plugin for JOSM.  In the summer I bumped into a holiday apartment chap who was doing just that for his lets.

« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2009, 03:38:13 pm »
Thanks Craig, I'll see what happens on Wednesday.

Having put yourself forward as an expert on JOSM I'll no doubt be bombarding you with questions!! ;)

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #24 on: 07 November, 2009, 11:24:58 pm »
I use potlatch under firefox. 

With the recent updates it is fantastic, brilliant, easy to use and the few minor bugs I used to find have been completely eradicated.
The cheque is definitely in the post. Thank you Nutty.  ;D
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner