Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237546 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #850 on: 06 March, 2011, 11:38:43 am »
Just spotted.

The Ace shakedown ride this year is 25th April
Whats on Events - Southend-on-Sea Borough Council

What's the betting the seafront path will once again be used for motorcycle parking and not available for cycling?

« Reply #851 on: 06 March, 2011, 12:07:04 pm »
Just spotted.

What's the betting the seafront path will once again be used for motorcycle parking and not available for cycling?

Why cant they use the new space at the City Beech rather than the cycle path. If they are using it that is  :-\

Clandy

« Reply #852 on: 06 March, 2011, 12:19:47 pm »
Just spotted.

Why cant they use the new space at the City Beech rather than the cycle path. If they are using it that is  :-\

… and get oil drips all over the nice new flagstones?

Clandy

« Reply #853 on: 08 March, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »
Went and had a look at how the City beach is coming along today. Now, I know that it isn't finished yet, and that there will undoubtedly be paint and warning signs etc…. but can anyone see the eight inch step in this picture?

Clandy

« Reply #854 on: 09 March, 2011, 07:53:23 pm »
Has anyone been through the garrison in the past year or two? There's a path that connects to the sea wall that is completely unrideable unless you are on an mtb, and even then it's a pig.

You cycle up Mess Road from Gunners Park. If you want to continue along the sea wall to East Beach you have to cross a small green at the top of Mess Road. The marked cycle lane takes you to it:

You are then greeted with this:

Unfortunately it is just mud covered with a loose layer of this:

Impossible to ride on the Moulton and extremely difficult on the Dawes. Like every other cyclist taking this route I just ride on the grass. (which is daft as the path was put in to stop people riding on the grass).

« Reply #855 on: 09 March, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »
You used to be able to use a pathed path next to the wall, but now inside the building area.
I use the car park to the right in your picture and loop back onto Mess Road

Clandy

« Reply #856 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:20:44 am »

Clandy

« Reply #857 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:54:50 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqfC1YTOVcI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tqfC1YTOVcI&rel=1</a>

« Reply #858 on: 12 March, 2011, 08:00:51 am »

YouTube
        - Where am I supposed to ride?

You must be an excellent rider! The way you handled those anti motor vehicle white lines, incredible! Those lines stop cars you know!!  ::-)

Clandy

« Reply #859 on: 12 March, 2011, 08:13:33 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqfC1YTOVcI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tqfC1YTOVcI&rel=1</a>
You must be an excellent rider! The way you handled those anti motor vehicle white lines, incredible! Those lines stop cars you know!!  ::-)

… and I managed to scale all those enormous car stopping measures on 20" wheels…  :smug:

Clandy

« Reply #860 on: 12 March, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
Sorry folks. I had to change the video. The first one I uploaded was the wrong edit.

« Reply #861 on: 12 March, 2011, 09:37:23 am »
What amazes me that video is the date.
Despite everything that has been brought to the councils attention concerning the path, they employ contractors with what seems like no consideration for cyclists.

Clandy

« Reply #862 on: 12 March, 2011, 09:41:45 am »
The thing is I am well aware that the sensible thing to do was dismount, cross the road, and continue on the other side. I took the chance and didn't because I wanted to demonstrate what inexperienced cyclists might do. (if the traffic had been heavy or moving faster I would not have done it)

« Reply #863 on: 12 March, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »
I would've done what you did in those circumstances, light traffic etc, no problem.

What are they building/repairing there, anybody know?

Clandy

« Reply #864 on: 12 March, 2011, 02:13:42 pm »
The second van was a lighting contractor so possibly something to do with street lighting?

« Reply #865 on: 12 March, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »
The second van was a lighting contractor so possibly something to do with street lighting?
I've noticed, when walking the dog down there last week, that there are floor spotlights to highlight the dead/dying palm trees, so 'twas probably that.

Clandy

« Reply #866 on: 12 March, 2011, 02:20:38 pm »
I've noticed, when walking the dog down there last week, that there are floor spotlights to highlight the dead/dying palm trees, so 'twas probably that.

Those fuzzy sticks are palm trees?  :o   ;)

Clandy

« Reply #867 on: 14 March, 2011, 07:31:59 am »
'Shared space' provided you stay between the lines…

Cyclists and pedestrians to share City Beach space (From Echo)

Clandy

« Reply #868 on: 14 March, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
Good grief. The way people are carrying on below that story you'd think we all cycled on pavements at 80mph with 30mm cannon blazing and scythes attached to our wheels.  ::-)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #869 on: 14 March, 2011, 03:40:33 pm »
Good grief. The way people are carrying on you'd think we all cycled on pavements at 80mph with 30mm cannon blazing and scythes attached to our wheels.  ::-)

Only in our dreams.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #870 on: 15 March, 2011, 11:54:02 am »
It looks like the Greenway is going to get a low boundary fence and, at least on the corner section of Vic. Ave. to Prit. Chs, a light pole. Doesn't seem to be markings on the brook side of the path though.

Low fence posts and boundary marks?

Light pole position?

« Reply #871 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:32:08 am »
A cycle hire scheme for Southend? Possibly!

Southend businessman reveals winner of Who Wants to be a Miller on Air? contest (From Echo)

I recall the same idea being raised before at the Cycle Group meetings where the stakeholders and public meet with the council.  Was it three years ago now?  I really can't remember.

So we pushed for a cycle hire scheme, the council ignored us, and now funding's run out there's another option for a cycle hire scheme?   How coincidental.

« Reply #872 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
'Shared space' provided you stay between the lines…

Cyclists and pedestrians to share City Beach space (From Echo)

I think I mentioned on the other thread that I recall the plan the council brought to the Cycle Group was for shared space and specifically avoided any painted lines.

« Reply #873 on: 16 March, 2011, 12:39:46 am »
It looks like the Greenway is going to get a low boundary fence and, at least on the corner section of Vic. Ave. to Prit. Chs, a light pole. Doesn't seem to be markings on the brook side of the path though.

Can they really make it any worse?

I have complained about the loose gravel, and they referred me to a wonderful scheme in Woking alongside the canal.

I have gone to the the canal to inspect this, in company of the local riders, and it is indeed a thing to behold.  No loose gravel and a path that I'd love to ride on.  Why can't Southend copy the schemes they are claiming to copy?

Then you show me photographs of them putting in bollards to stop cyclists being able to ride off the path to avoid pedestrians and loose dogs.  Or are those items that cyclists will hit when they fall off when they touch the brakes on all that loose gravel?

« Reply #874 on: 21 March, 2011, 08:28:10 am »
Where I thought that there might be light poles going in they've planted trees, sycamores I think.