Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt  (Read 22902 times)

Chris S

Re: Steve ends his second attempt
« Reply #75 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:47:02 am »
Well done Steve, brilliant effort!

Now go out, have a couple of beers and get yourself laid.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #76 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:54:00 am »
A pox on moped-riding muppets.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #77 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:02:28 am »
Well done Steve. I'm sure it's a hard decision to stop but it's better to have made an attempt than not known what you were capable of. I'm not sure what plans you might form now but I hope that you know that our support doesn't end the day you step off the bike. Don't hesitate to ask for the things you need, when you need them.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #78 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:05:19 am »
Chapeau, Steve. Your real adventure has been a spellbinding armchair adventure for us. Thank you.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #79 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:06:17 am »
thank you Steve for being an ispiration to push on when going gets tough. i don't know any other person possessing so much of physical and mental fortitude. a brave man, a hero, a legend!!

now rest well, look after yourself and recover properly

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #80 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:10:42 am »
Wonderful stuff - and he keeps his sense of humour! Totally indomitable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #81 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:16:26 am »
Wonderful stuff - and he keeps his sense of humour! Totally indomitable.
*Makes a note of today's new word* :thumbsup:

« Reply #82 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:21:02 am »
Well done chap.

R & R and go again when the time is right.

« Reply #83 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:30:22 am »
Steve - well done. You've earnt huge respect from around the world.

Recover and re-think what can be done should you decide to try this again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #84 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:35:49 am »
I'm sure this is the right decision.

I hope you recover well and we see healthy, fit and well in the future!

We all think you're great!

« Reply #85 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:45:06 am »
Big respect Steve! :thumbsup: You've earned it!

Commiserations on what must be a huge disappointment for you.  A very tough decision to have to make. However, if you're ever tempted to think that you've let anyone down, please don't!  8) I don't think that's how anyone sees it and as a minor supporter I certainly don't.

Don't take anyone's musings on here or elsewhere about strategy or anything else as criticisms - it's just something people do with any sporting endeavour, and almost all sports fans are "armchair experts!"  ::-) I really don't think that anyone actually reckons they could have had a better stab at it than you have!

You've inspired a huge number of people to cycle more and further (and not just other HAMR contestants!)  Lots of us have greatly enjoyed following your attempts too.

If, once you're fully recovered, you decide to make a 3rd attempt, I don't think there will be any shortage of support, and who knows - third time lucky?! It seems to me that you clearly have what it takes to break the record, you've just been really unfortunate. You'd have the benefit of a lot of knowledge and experience from your own and others' attempts. Edit: and likely no El Niño weather to contest with!

If you decide to move on to other challenges, you'll have left quite a legacy with the HAMR quite apart from your own record!

Enjoy the rest, and best wishes for the future!

« Reply #86 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:49:11 am »
T'was very well done Steve. Chapeau!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #87 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:50:31 am »
Sad to hear but it sounds like the right decision. Thanks to Steve for the inspiration and entertainment (good and bad) over the attempt.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #88 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:52:58 am »
No commiserations from me I'm afraid, just huge congratulations for what you achieved.

I got to ride with you for an hour on PBP2015 and I fully intend to put that in my "name-dropping bank" for future use. ("Steve Abraham? Yes I know him, , I actually rode part of the attempt with him you know?")

Legend.

1 year ago this week, Stockbridge, Hampshire.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #89 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:53:22 am »
Very well done Steve and team!  Not the result you wanted I know, but I hope when you've caught up on zzzzs that you remember your efforts well. 

See you on the road...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #90 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:02:01 pm »
Everything's been said already, but I enjoy reading Steve's ride reports online (as blood and guts are never spared) I think there's a book in your exploits, so hopefully you'll put fingers to keyboard soon.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #91 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:10:53 pm »
Commiserations for having to stop Steve, but big congratulations too, both for all the riding you've done so far and also for making the call.

« Reply #92 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:21:57 pm »
Fantastic attempt Steve.  You have been wonderfully inspiring, tenacious and audacious in your attempt. 

You can look back with pride and forward with purpose.

Rest well, plan carefully.

Why not pop along to Long Itch in May for a couple of nights under canvas and mild crack with lots of admiring fans of yours?  I seriously doubt that you'd have to buy a beer and the Long Itch Diner breakfast on the Saturday would be on me though I don't rate their sausages!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #93 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:24:01 pm »
Chapeau Steve!  An amazing and inspiring ride. And you put Tommy Godwin and the Year Record back on the map.

A very tough decision to make, but probably the right one.
Getting there...

mr_brooks

« Reply #94 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:25:18 pm »
What an amazing ride - now rest and enjoy being a legend.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #95 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »
I agree it's sad that Steve had to abandon the second attempt but absolutely reject the notion that it's "a shame".

In my view, Steve's decision is brave, smart and just right. As others have argued much more convincingly in the "current thoughts" threads, the second attempt had turned into a lost cause a long time ago and carrying on had been pointless and potentially detrimental to his health. His decision was unavoidable given the daily averages required for months after months to come even close to Tommy's and Kurt's mileage.

I think there is a fine line between healthy and necessary tenacity every long-distance rider needs and reality-denying determination that can do more harm than good. I was starting to worry that Steve had started to drift towards the latter. Fortunately,  his decision to stop shows the opposite.

As many others have already said, Steve deserves loads of credit for reviving the year-record and inspiring others to tackle mind-boggling distances. Well done Steve! Now it's time to rest and regroup.

Steve on PBP

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #96 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »
what an amazing year, so much for the guy to be proud off, well done Steve,

if anyone has 30 minutes, watch the full video  :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #97 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:43:24 pm »
if anyone has 30 minutes, watch the full video  :thumbsup:

OK.  Hands up, who else spontaneously joined in with the applause at the end?   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #98 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:50:01 pm »
The fact that he carried on when many kept telling him to stop was exactly the right thing to do and taught Steve an awful lot about the demands of the challenge.

Steve now knows what it is like to ride for the year, ride through pain, illness, crap weather etc. day after day after day.   If, or should that be when he goes again, and, he'll be better equipped to deal with the whole situation.   Only Steve and Kurt can appreciate what a gruelling challenge this is first hand.

For me the moped moron ruined Steve's chances this time and you cannot rule out such random acts, ever.   You cannot rule Steve out either.

Much respect Steve.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #99 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:54:11 pm »
Does that mean he can come to Clapham?

:D

It's a shame he's had some bad luck.  But it's been one hell  of a ride.
Milk please, no sugar.