Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250301 times)

rob

Re: Base training
« Reply #825 on: 01 February, 2018, 02:53:13 pm »
Had a load of 'don't want to do this any more' moments last couple of weeks.   Managing the plan physically but having a mental block.   I've not skipped any sessions and delivered them all to plan but finding it hard.

Will push on for another 10 days and then I have a few days off at half term.   Hopefully the motivation will come back.

simonp

« Reply #826 on: 01 February, 2018, 02:57:32 pm »
You could be do a recovery week. Mine is next week, I can't wait.  ::-)

« Reply #827 on: 01 February, 2018, 04:58:04 pm »
What's your ratio of work weeks to rest weeks at the moment? IIRC, you do epic miles including your commute, so maybe your idea of a rest week is different to mine though!
On the TR plans, Base has got 5 work weeks and then a rest week, but Build only has 3 work weeks and a rest week (x2).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #828 on: 01 February, 2018, 07:22:37 pm »
I've skipped todays Donner as I've a 200 on saturday and I know I will feel pretty dead after it given this week already, compared to feeling very dead if I had done today's session... don't think I'm quite ready for 900ish TSS yet, though skipping it still makes it a 800ish week  :facepalm:

Having Mondays off at the moment has put a bit of a spanner in the works as I'm going out on the bike rather than sitting at home so there's a bit more load than expected...
Regards,

Joergen

rob

« Reply #829 on: 01 February, 2018, 07:54:39 pm »
Last week was an easier week. Road miles were about the same but turbo work was down by about 90 mins.   I did over 1000 miles in Jan which is up on last year.  I’m in a pretty decent place I feel but the problem has become mental.   I’ll drop my coach a line tomorrow as I haven’t seen next weeks plan yet.

We have a short family break at half term which will be bikeless so so something to look forward to.

simonp

« Reply #830 on: 03 February, 2018, 07:49:24 pm »
So nearing the end of the sweet spot base II plan.

I missed out Leconte last weekend as I had rowing training instead. This week was Mary Austin which appears to be at least as hard. It hurt, and my legs are still aching hours later but I completed it. According to the workout text it's one of the toughest in the TR catalogue.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/11422443-mary-austin

Tomorrow's the last workout before the recovery week. Based on how I am right now, it is going to be tough.

« Reply #831 on: 05 February, 2018, 09:22:49 am »
Mary Austin is a real PITA. The second set of interval steps in each set seems to go on forever.
I helped my wife with stuff in school before doing https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/11535377-kaweah When I checked my pedometer, I realised I had done 8,500 steps before the ride, which is not ideal preparation!
The standing drills and the quadrant drills were fine, but getting aero was hard second time around and my back is tighter than it would normally be (might have something to do with walking and decorating as well). I've got 1 more work week before my rest week, and while I feel OK, I'm not looking forward to Avalanche Spire (more ramped over-unders) on Thursday.

simonp

« Reply #832 on: 05 February, 2018, 10:26:08 am »
I had the day off yesterday. I might do sundays workout tomorrow or just skip it.

rob

« Reply #833 on: 05 February, 2018, 12:00:34 pm »
Just under 5hrs on the road in the rain on Sunday.   Felt pretty perky so it's amazing what a bit of sleep does for you.    Took Sunday off and went walking for 2hrs with junior.

This week's plan has been dialed back and looks quite sensible.   Whilst I didn't feel too bad physically there were early signs of pushing a bit too hard.

« Reply #834 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
Absolutely freezing (-4 at 7:30, dunno what it was at 6). Did first set of intervals, but during rest break I could feel my ITB tightening up and then in first of the next set, my knee was making a clicking noise and hurting.  Bad tracking is not good for power, so I shut it down and stretched instead - while my ITB is definitely tight, it's not responding to foam rollering much - I think it's my back that's the root of all this.  :(
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/11682495-bashful-2

The business park on which I work has yoga on Friday lunchtimes, so I'm going to give that a go (starting next week as I'm off this Friday).  Only 2 more high power workouts until the rest week, so I'll stretch and roller beforehand and see how those go...

rob

« Reply #835 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:54:38 am »
Absolutely freezing (-4 at 7:30, dunno what it was at 6). Did first set of intervals, but during rest break I could feel my ITB tightening up and then in first of the next set, my knee was making a clicking noise and hurting.  Bad tracking is not good for power, so I shut it down and stretched instead - while my ITB is definitely tight, it's not responding to foam rollering much - I think it's my back that's the root of all this.  :(

The business park on which I work has yoga on Friday lunchtimes, so I'm going to give that a go (starting next week as I'm off this Friday).  Only 2 more high power workouts until the rest week, so I'll stretch and roller beforehand and see how those go...

Bit off topic but the advice on foam rollering now seems to be varying.   My physio still says to roller the ITB, but I have seen elsewhere that this is no longer recommended.   One of my clubmates specializes in physio for recovery and is anti rollering the ITB.   If it helps I suffer with lower back, hip and ITB pain.   What has helped has been hip mobility exercises and, for want of a better description, the spiky ball in the buttock pressure work.

« Reply #836 on: 06 February, 2018, 10:00:42 am »

Bit off topic but the advice on foam rollering now seems to be varying.   My physio still says to roller the ITB, but I have seen elsewhere that this is no longer recommended.   One of my clubmates specializes in physio for recovery and is anti rollering the ITB.   If it helps I suffer with lower back, hip and ITB pain.   What has helped has been hip mobility exercises and, for want of a better description, the spiky ball in the buttock pressure work.
The last time I went to physio they said to roller the ITB. My right knee is well dodgy (ACL tear, multiple meniscus and MCL sprains, bad tracking), and I can fix the symptoms by working resolutely on my VMO, but it probably all stems from my lower back. I probably just need to do more core work. I should probably also get refitted onto this bike (changed saddle, pedals and shoes since my fit last year). 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #837 on: 10 February, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
i've noticed that trainerroad started to send the screenshots of workouts as pictures, when uploading them to strava. i'm on the last few days of base training, still to decide which build phase to go for.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #838 on: 10 February, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
Yes that was announced as coming on their Beta group a few days ago.

I'm day 3 of not going on teh turbo, I just can not get the motivation to do so...  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #839 on: 10 February, 2018, 03:40:37 pm »
I might try general build.

This week was supposed to be the recovery week at the end of base II, but lurgy.

Two hour-long on the water rowing sessions today and tomorrow to keep me working anyway.

« Reply #840 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:47:41 pm »
I'm 3 weeks into the Sustained Power Build. The Saturday ride (I'm on the low volume plan) contains long threshold intervals, which is really good for me - I guess it depends on what you want to do this year.
Today's was brutal. Friday I had a 12,000 step day helping my wife run a school festival, yesterday was a no effort day, and today I did 6,000 steps before my ride. The first 2 intervals were OK, but the third was hard, and from 10-18 minutes I was struggling with my ITB/hamstring tightness, but I just gutted it out and survived (and the last 2 minutes were OK).
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/12100854-galena-1
This week is a "rest" week. I'm not sure how much of the scheduled riding I'll do - I find the low effort ones really boring and hard to motivate myself for.

« Reply #841 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:49:17 am »
I did my scheduled ride: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/12225314-pettit
It was boring and cold, and my right knee was sore by the end.  I'm gonna skip Thursday's ride, and maybe do an FTP test on the weekend ready for the next set of work weeks.

« Reply #842 on: 17 February, 2018, 04:40:56 pm »
I skipped the Thursday workout (though I did some yoga Friday). Today I tried the new Ramp Test X.
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/13643874-ramp-test-x
It's not automated yet (I think it's still a bit experimental), but a TR employee commented saying they make my FTP 234. That's a good jump - I'll try to replicate that on Tuesday morning. :)
Because it was short, I also did Charybdis 30.  That was brutal (especially after ramping up to 300W).
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/13652879-charybdis-30

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #843 on: 17 February, 2018, 08:14:09 pm »
i've done a ramp test too, was committed to reach 20min, so did just that and my legs gave out (probably need to set the target higher next time). if the best minute multiplier is .77 it seems too high. i'm about to start a build phase and it begins with a 2x8 test - oh joy!

« Reply #844 on: 18 February, 2018, 04:21:32 pm »
They changed it to 0.76% of the highest power you can maintain for a whole minute.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #845 on: 18 February, 2018, 06:51:37 pm »
They changed it to 0.76% of the highest power you can maintain for a whole minute.

i'd prefer 0.73 as this would mean i can still complete tougher intervals without the need to backpedal

« Reply #846 on: 20 February, 2018, 09:03:06 am »
My FTP test today came out lower than Ramp Test X (229 as opposed to 234), but I was feeling rubbish today (bad sleep, empty legs, ate during the warmup and then felt sick!). I couldn't spin as well either (ended up ina 90 rpm cadence rather than 95-100).  Given the different conditions of the 2 tests, I'll stick with 234 and see how hard the workouts are!
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/14609218-20-minute-ftp-test

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #847 on: 20 February, 2018, 07:50:49 pm »
i've also just done a solid 8min ftp test and came to a conclusion that for the future ramp tests (which i much prefer) i need to use a 0.72 coefficient (or 0.73 if i feel 100% fit).

simonp

« Reply #848 on: 20 February, 2018, 07:55:05 pm »
I'm going to do it once I've let the fruit I ate go down a bit.

« Reply #849 on: 20 February, 2018, 08:21:17 pm »
I'm somewhat confused as to how they got to 234, seeing as 0.76*302 = 229.5. That's only just over what I got for my 20 minute test. Maybe they used 0.77, or maybe they took into account my ability to do a bit of the next interval (though I definitely couldn't have completed it at 315).
Good luck Simon!