Author Topic: Base training  (Read 252258 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #900 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:55:21 pm »
Comment with new FTP - 256W. :)
Pleased I went above 250, now I've got to back it up and do my next block properly at that power.

simonp

« Reply #901 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:36:00 pm »
They're not using 0.76, or they're doing something more complex.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #902 on: 19 March, 2018, 05:23:15 pm »
They're not using 0.76, or they're doing something more complex.
my evaluation came back with the result that matches a multiplier .75 - which is now pretty close to my "realistic" one of .72-73
i'll use their figure and see how much pain i can take during the next build block.

« Reply #903 on: 19 March, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
I think they said that they use 0.76 as a multiplier on the last completed step, but they also give you credit if you get through part of the next one.

« Reply #904 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:38:10 pm »
I think they said that they use 0.76 as a multiplier on the last completed step, but they also give you credit if you get through part of the next one.

They've said max 1min power * 0.76, where max 1min power readable from the chart in the beta analysis software or in table form on the old software (I think).

But (as noted by others) the FTP number they told me is a bit lower than that indicating there's some other factor considered.

Also, I think you're right that the ramp test is not so well suited to dumb trainers as it is to ergs - my experience was it became a bit of a struggle (distraction) trying to find the right gears for a suitable cadence, and in the last 1min I ended up going way above the target for part of it. Perhaps they're normalising the max 1min power number in some way and hence the departure from a simple *0.76?

And kudos to zigzag for those numbers, sweet baby jesu.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #905 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:23:42 pm »

And kudos to zigzag for those numbers, sweet baby jesu.

thank you, lots of pain and suffering behind those numbers ("why am i doing this?.."); harsh winter helped with motivation in a way

« Reply #906 on: 20 March, 2018, 12:39:27 am »
I’m finally back on it  :thumbsup: have avoided an ftp test and instead i’m sticking with a level I previously tested at (don’t have the drive to push that hard on a test yet). 

Working out ok so far, will possibly test next week though.... it’s all a bit unstructured, but helping the mojo  8)

Sunday https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/23669224#.WrBYiYPN1t8
Followed by Carter on Monday, then something like Carillion planned for Tuesday

« Reply #907 on: 20 March, 2018, 09:03:18 am »
20 minute FTP test today.  I wasn't really feeling it, and it was 6am. Also, I don't have my aero bars yet, so I couldn't do it in my aero position. First 10 minutes was hard, and it was hard to get the cadence and gearing just so. The 10-15minute period is usually tough for me, but I didn't feel like quitting, I just didn't have the focus necessary. The last 5 was OK, and I could have gone (a bit) longer if I needed.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/23913820

Calculated FTP was 248. I think I'll stick with the 256 - I don't feel as wrung out as after the ramp test, so I think that was actually a better number.

rob

« Reply #908 on: 20 March, 2018, 09:20:08 am »
Been up and down for a while.   Fastest ever 200k 10 days ago and first back, but then wiped out for a few days.   The weather threw last weekend out but I did 90mins on the turbo on Saturday.

I've booked a medical for Thursday afternoon as it's been 5 years since the last one and I don't recall feeling this crap when I was deep into training this time last year.

I have my first TT of the year on Saturday.   It's just a 10 but it will be a test of fitness.   Besides my 10 PB is atrocious so hopefully I can still update it as it's on a fast course.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #909 on: 20 March, 2018, 10:33:28 am »
I'm in the midst of yet another cough/cold/something or other which whilst happening over a particularly miserable section of weather outside, I've been off the bike since last Wednesday and it's depressing watching my ramp rate go negative and feeling like all the gains over the last few weeks are being undone .... second bought of this lurgy in 2 weeks...  :'(  I'm even questioning being able to do an Arrow at this rate!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #910 on: 22 March, 2018, 09:59:26 am »
First proper ride with new FTP.  The plan calls for a 75 minute workout (4*9 intervals with 5 minute recoveries), but I only had an hour so I did a shorter version:
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/24651780-budawang

262W is annoyingly in between on the gears - either it's 88rpm or 100, and my legs weren't feeling spinny today. I've got an 11-32 cassette and a compact chainset - I didn't ride anything that needs the lowest gear last year, so when I replace the cassette I might go 11-28. The recoveries were a bit too long (I was bored and HR of 100 with 2 minutes to go on the second one) - I contemplated just starting the effort a minute early and doing a 10 minute interval, but decided against.

simonp

« Reply #911 on: 22 March, 2018, 11:43:30 am »
It is usually a good idea to go as narrow as possible. I'm using 11-25 on the trainer. It doesn't make any difference in erg mode, but when using resistance mode for a 2x8m test, or on a normal turbo, going as narrow as you can is a good plan.

« Reply #912 on: 22 March, 2018, 01:29:11 pm »
Narrow is good, but this is basically my only road bike. So while I'd go as narrow as possible for TT or for Turbo, I can't just use a straight through block and then survive on the club runs.
Everything points inexorably to a TT specific bike. Next year... :)

simonp

« Reply #913 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:54:34 pm »
The discovery that my allergy to cats was actually an allergy to rats.

I think my breathing may have improved, since all the rats* are dead.

*Pets.

« Reply #914 on: 25 March, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
Improved breathing is definitely a good thing. :)

My ride today was hard.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/25871597
Fueling and sleep were OK. Got interrupted at the end of the first interval and had to make the TV work for my daughter! Getting back into it was hard, and the middle onwards of the 3rd interval was a real struggle. My right knee has been sore for a couple of days - I need to stretch more...

I did a minute on the aero bars a few times - it's a bit harder to put out power and my belly breathing interferes with my legs slightly . I probably need to lift the saddle a little bit - I'm trying to arrange a new bike fit.

simonp

« Reply #915 on: 25 March, 2018, 07:21:21 pm »
That looks like a proper tester.

I had no turbo time this weekend, as I had too much going on with rowing.

« Reply #916 on: 27 March, 2018, 08:56:07 am »
After a couple of weeks of brutal threshold work today was sweetspot.
I forgot how hard sweet pot is! Slept badly, felt crap on waking up, warmup was harder than it should have been and the wattage was either too fast at 97rpm or too slow at 82. Plus my shorts were chafing when I was in my aerobars. I think that lack of breakfast is really hurting me on the 6am rides now.
I bailed less than halfway through the second 20 minute interval. :(
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides-new/26507177-eclipse-2
I've been sneezing loads today as well. Hope it's something to do with the rain and not a cold. :(

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #917 on: 27 March, 2018, 06:42:09 pm »
my first ever aborted session today - after doing a warm-up i understood i've no chance/energy to complete the whole thing. hopefully i'll feel stronger tomorrow!

simonp

« Reply #918 on: 27 March, 2018, 07:19:40 pm »
Welcome to our club zigzag! Sometimes the best choice is rest.

rob

« Reply #919 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:09:50 pm »
I climbed off during the warm up a few weeks ago.   Felt guilty for days but sometimes it’s just not there.

This week, however, I love training and racing again.

simonp

« Reply #920 on: 27 March, 2018, 09:39:23 pm »
Looked at tonight’s workout. 5x2m:3r at 120%. Nope.

Did Monitor which was fine.

« Reply #921 on: 28 March, 2018, 08:07:55 am »
my first ever aborted session today - after doing a warm-up i understood i've no chance/energy to complete the whole thing. hopefully i'll feel stronger tomorrow!

I had a hard under/over session (McAdie) to do 10 days ago and it felt pretty grim from the off. Kept going but only by reducing the Intensity for the last couple of blocks. The TSS still managed to be higher than any prior session in my lengthy (month long!) TR "career" up to then. Cue a week+ of acute moaning man flu.

But! The off-bike time was usefully spent by upgrading the turbo setup to erg and accurate power measurement ;D

I've an FTP test to look forward to, therefore, that will likely reveal my earlier virtual power numbers to have been somewhat optimistic...  :'(

« Reply #922 on: 28 March, 2018, 09:00:46 am »
You might be lucky - I think my Virtual Power was under reading by about 15 Watts (compared to my P1 pedals).
After quitting my last session halfay through the second interval (of 2), I'm going to tweak things a bit and skip Thursday's workout completely.  That means I get to stay in bed an extra hour! Then I'll do Saturdays 1.5 hour workout on Friday (bank holiday - yay), have the whole weekend off, and start again next Tuesday (or maybe bring the Tuesday workout forwards to Monday afternoon depending).
I think I gain more FTP when resting aftr a big chunk of Training stress than I do when piling it on further (or even tapering it off a bit), and it feels so much fresher when you get back on after an extra couple of days off...

« Reply #923 on: 28 March, 2018, 09:55:10 am »
I think I gain more FTP when resting aftr a big chunk of Training stress than I do when piling it on further (or even tapering it off a bit), and it feels so much fresher when you get back on after an extra couple of days off...

With hindsight I should probably have started out with Low Volume, not Mid Volume. I chose the latter because I generally have plenty of time available but maybe it was too much of a step up in workload from my pre-TR regime, compounded by my schedule causing me to compress the training week on a few occasions. It felt fine - surprisingly so - until it eventually didn't, and the accumulated fatigue took its toll...

Being the first time I've followed a structured training programme linked to FTP, it's become clear there's little slacking within TR - most sessions are pretty hard, it's just the degree that varies! I've always needed a decent amount of recovery, and with TR I'd misjudged how much work I was doing (or capable of).

Still, it's all a useful learning exercise  ;D

Onward and upward-ish!

« Reply #924 on: 28 March, 2018, 10:39:17 am »
I started on Low Volume, and I'm not sure I could have coped with the Mid Volume. It feels like all the low volume rides are intense (except for rest week), it's just that the specific sort of stress you are subject to varies. I just checked the ride I'm gonna do Friday - ouch: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/114527-stromlo-4 - that's going to hurt!