Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131655 times)

I was disappointed that Fifa didn't prevent Galatasary from playing in the Be-all-and-end-all League last night.  Disappointed but not in the least surprised.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Sad to hear that Ian Wright is retiring from punditry. He was one of the very few I enjoyed watching.

Most of them are blinkered and narrow-minded with set ideas about certain teams and players that means all opinions expressed are essentially prejudgements. And a lot of them are just plain stupid.

Wright never tried to hide his love of Arsenal, which is fair enough, but he mostly just seemed to love watching football and would always be generous with his praise of teams that played well. And when he criticised teams for playing badly, he was always fair, unbiased and insightful in his comments.

Match of the Day will be far worse without him.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I haven't seen Ian Wright for a while - I think since the Gary Lineker Work to Rule - but I always liked what i saw of him. Totally enthusiastic and, as you say, fair and knowledgeable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/31/i-cant-celebrate-2023-now-jack-grealish-devastated-by-burglary

“The people that commit these terrible crimes have no idea of the damage they cause to people’s lives."

Hang on a tick, Jack - you've stashed away over £1m in jewellery and watches - stuff that you just didn't need. What would Sadio Mané have done?

Fair dos, Wow.  That's a hell of a long sentence for Jack Grealish.  Or was it his agent?

For those who haven't seen it look at the score in the SA vs India test. Shortly after Tea on Day 1 and SA are 2 wickets down

In their Second Innings!

55 all out and 41-2 plays 153 all out as India went from 153-4 to 153 all out with 6 ducks.  :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
It would appear that darts history is about to be made by a 16 year old who looks like a hard-drinking 40 year old player.

I might even pay to watch it. 

(Before the sneering comments start about darts not being a proper sport, that would also exclude golf, archery, most motor sports and many others - and you can't cheat at darts).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

It would appear that darts history is about to be made by a 16 year old who looks like a hard-drinking 40 year old player.

I might even pay to watch it. 

(Before the sneering comments start about darts not being a proper sport, that would also exclude golf, archery, most motor sports and many others - and you can't cheat at darts).

Not sure about that - beta blockers might help, as they do (did?) in snooker. Agree with your description tho!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

Who needs beta blockers when there is lager?  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Bill Werbeniuk joke goes here ==>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

Well, $ky wanted too much even for a one-day pass, so I'm following by text.  It sounds very, very close.  The darts cliché is that you play the board, not the man, but someone usually cracks psychologically.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(click to show/hide)

rogerzilla

Yeah, (writing in the style of Keith from "London Fields"): The more senior player had the averages and no way could the young pretender from Runcorn rise to the challenge.  At the seventh set, he crapped it."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Does my bum Luke Littler in this?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
For those who haven't seen it look at the score in the SA vs India test. Shortly after Tea on Day 1 and SA are 2 wickets down

In their Second Innings!

55 all out and 41-2 plays 153 all out as India went from 153-4 to 153 all out with 6 ducks.  :o
Quack!

107 overs I think - the fastest result in Test history?
Some grumbles about the pitch, sadly ... but a record is a record!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Why "Early doors"?

citoyen

Why "Early doors"?

Something to do with bagging the best seat in the theatre, I think. But don't quote me on that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Why "Early doors"?

Something to do with bagging the best seat in the theatre, I think. But don't quote me on that.

Yes, I looked it up and that's what Wikipedia said. I'd never heard the expression until football types started saying it. I heard my sis in law say it on one occasion - she and her husband are Man City season ticket holders.

citoyen

Indeed, I think its adoption by football fans is a relatively recent thing but the phrase has been around a lot longer and definitely isn't specifically football related.

There was a sitcom in the early '00s called Early Doors that was set in a pub.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
I certainly remember hearing it as a junior tick at st custards in the 1970s.  May have been down to maths beak and rabid Villa fanboi Tom Eadon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
In a fit of nostalgia, I'm watching Barbarians v All Blacks, 1973. It remains, probably, the finest game of rugby I've seen. Possibly not my favourite: that may well be Wales v England in Wembley, when the Millennium Stadium was being built (1999), and Wales came back to win by the odd point after Scott Gibbs crashed over and Neil Jenkins kicked the conversion (of course he did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h49kubZI4&ab_channel=TheRugbyChannel

But my question is: who was Man of the Match? Gareth Edwards, for scoring the best try in the history of rugby, or was there someone else?

(click to show/hide)

For the first time, I noticed that at 31 minutes, the crowd were singing "Who beat the All Blacks but good old sospan bach!" Llanelli had beaten them in the match played in the October.

I came across this article on the BBC sports website. ( i guess you could put it in the climate change topics)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/67926417

As a resident of this watery (occasionally icy) place it filled me with dismay, while I cannot skate and never watch the
professional speed skating I do remember the 1997 event, without doubt the greatest 'sporting'* event I have ever witnessed.
Gripping television from dawn to midnight as the often distraught en disheveled skaters try to beat the clock.
I guess is has parallels with the worst aspects of a wintry audax brevet... probably why I liked it so much.

* The word sporting is perhaps not accurate, the vast majority are just trying to finish in time.
(The profs are already in with their feet up in the early afternoon)
Regards,

Alan

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I came across this article on the BBC sports website. ( i guess you could put it in the climate change topics)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/67926417

As a resident of this watery (occasionally icy) place it filled me with dismay, while I cannot skate and never watch the
professional speed skating I do remember the 1997 event, without doubt the greatest 'sporting'* event I have ever witnessed.
Gripping television from dawn to midnight as the often distraught en disheveled skaters try to beat the clock.
I guess is has parallels with the worst aspects of a wintry audax brevet... probably why I liked it so much.

* The word sporting is perhaps not accurate, the vast majority are just trying to finish in time.
(The profs are already in with their feet up in the early afternoon)

I saw a film dramatisation of the notorious 1963 event, following 4 participants in the 'just get round in the limit' category. On Netflix, I think (yes, https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/70277686). I enjoyed it probably for the reason you stated, but probably worth watching anyway.

On a similar note, I once watched the British Outdoor Speedskating Championships. I'm pretty sure it was in the winter of 1981/82. A very lengthy cold spell had been forecast, and an area of fenland near Baston had been flooded in anticipation. From my memories of riding the 8 miles or so to the event, I can confirm it was very very cold. Bricks had been laid out to delineate the track. but there was loads of other room for recreational skating, and there  were plenty of families taking advantage. I remember one name from the competitive events - John French - who was a well-known time triallist at the time (and as I've found out today competitor at the 1980 winter Olympics).

Many years later I bought a book at a bargain bookstore by Matthew Engel. As a cricket journalist he was expected to report on football in the winter, but persuaded his editor to let him report on anything which took his fancy, the more unusual the better,  and this book was a collection of his reports that winter, including the event I had witnessed.

PS More here, including a picture of John French in action.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

A fascinating day in the FA Cup.  I watched the Maidstone match which was a real thriller with everything that is great about the FA Cup, which to me is the important competition.  I should possibly have put this in the "claims to fame" thread but it's more complicated.  Years ago, I taught a young immigrant from the Democratic Republic of Congo to play guitar for a few weeks in a school in Rochdale that was full of refugees and other immigrants (there's much that is good about Rochdale but you won't hear it in the media).  It was only a short term arrangement by the school but I knew he was good at football and have followed his career ever since.  He was a star with the Manchester Untied youth set-up and has since played for Stoke, Aston Villa and even Napoli.  He is still only 25, I think.  His name is Axel Tuanzebe.

Today he was playing for ... Ipswich.  Maybe he should have had more guitar lessons!

Newcastle back to winning ways.  Fielded six English players and both of the goals were scored by Englishmen.  I didn't know that was still allowed.  Be interesting to see the 5th round draw, in which Newcastle will probably be drawn at home against Maidstone - who will beat them.

Edit:  Both Newcastle's English scorers are actually Geordies!