Author Topic: Showing off my 'Musson' wheel truing stand  (Read 9858 times)

Re: Showing off my 'Musson' wheel truing stand
« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2015, 01:57:23 pm »
Satisfying, isn't it? I like riding on wheels I know I've built myself.

« Reply #26 on: 15 February, 2015, 11:08:48 pm »
Rode the wheel for the first time tonight on a little 16 mile loop that included fast flat roads, plenty of hills, fast descents and some poor country lane road surfaces.  The wheel stayed true, there were no tinkling sounds as i set off and.the wheel felt very stable compared to the 24 spoke shimano r500 that was on there before.  Everything just felt a bit tighter and more responsive. 

There was no hint of the speed wobble that has been a semi-regular occurrence of late although I think that issue may have more to do with wind speed and direction than the wheel, although I'm not ruling out that being a factor.

I wasn't expecting to notice a particular difference and was surprised that I could  Might just be my wishful thinking and wanting to notice a difference but I really felt like I could.

Anyway, first test passed!
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #27 on: 16 February, 2015, 09:19:46 am »
Excellent John.

My first wheel did 60 miles then I noticed that some NDS spokes had loosened alarmingly. Spent an hour retentioning and truing on Saturday and the did 40 miles yesterday and it came back still true and tight. Feels like a nice tight wheel, but not light due to LX17 rim and muckle great Carradice on bike. The bike rolls well though, suggesting that the Hope hub and Schwalbe One's are working as intended.

Mike

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 31 August, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
Not a thing of beauty, but does appear to be perfectly functional.  I'm rather pleased with it!

With the help of the stand I shall be embarking on my first wheel build in making a dynamo front wheel using a dh-3n71 hub with exal xr2 rim and DT competition spokes.

I've also made a dishing tool from plywood.

Building one of these right now. Question is what did you use for the "dropouts" at the top? He says 6mm steel n the book which seems excessive to me. My pull up bar and the footplates of my rowing machine are thinner than that and take a lot more force?

I have some extruded square section Al that I could use, but that's only 2mm
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #29 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:06:15 pm »
I used 2 3mm perspex sheets glued together. They bear almost no force at all so the steel is definitely overkill.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:38:03 pm »
Cheers, I'll start with my Al and see how I get on, may not give the same wear resistance, but I can replace it later. Trying not to buy anything for this.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #31 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:08:50 am »
I think you'll be fine with the AL. In the Musson book he specifically says you need not apply much clamping force on the qr, just enough to hold it in place.  I would think 2mm AL would last for a very long time indeed!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk