Author Topic: "Douze-Cents" du massif central  (Read 4553 times)

"Douze-Cents" du massif central
« on: 11 January, 2016, 08:09:46 pm »
The second edition of the"Douze-cents" du Massif Central in France will take place the 25 of july at Veigné near TOURS (14km in the south)

The registration will begin in febuary.

the weebsite: http://ledouzecents.blogspot.fr/
and facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/403923086465943/?fref=ts

jean-pierre

Re: "Douze-Cents" du massif central
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2016, 01:07:41 pm »
The 1st edition of the Douze Cents was the highlight of my 2012 season. The start is an easy 2 day ride from Caen via the ferry from Portsmouth. It's an x-rated event where you can either book your own accommodation or camp/bivi out in a TCR stylee. Last time the organiser Jean-Pierre followed the route in a camper van and provided food & tlc at strategic points, it all added up to make a really enjoyable atmosphere between the 50 riders and JP's team. There were 4 AUKs riding in 2012.

It's a challenging route with plenty of climbing so if you're tempted make sure you get the AAA in beforehand. Expect gradients in the Massif Central region to often be steeper than those in the Alps, see pic of Pas de Peyrol climbed on the 2nd day with 15% in places... There are many fantastic roads and much French countryside to be enjoyed.

There are 2 AUKs entered so far on the 2nd edition. Don't delay entering if you're interested.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2016, 01:41:01 pm »
Did a few chunks of the Massif Central in 2005. Dunno if this one goes through Aubusson d'Auvergne but there's a nice 20% there.  Worst memory was climbing a 10% on a very hot day with a herd of incontinent cattle dandering up the road ahead.  'Ware cattle grids, too.

Wouldn't mind a toddle up Mont Aigoual. Couldn't handle the rest any more, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »
Photos look ace.  Event looks amazing.  Won't fit into this year though  :(

I have Pas de Peyrol and Mont Aigoual on the agenda for early June.  Will be dusting off the geared bike!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »
Does indeed sound like an amazing (and tough) event. Not for me , however, this year, as I've signed up for an Alps N-S Raid the week before with Marmot, which was also on my ''to do'' list, and cycling holidays are to be limited this year as its my 25th 'Silver' Anniversary Year!

Am still keen to ride in the MC Region soon(ish), though probably at 'touring' pace. Will be following the event and subsequent ride reports with interest. There is also a facebook page.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »
I've entered and picked 8.40pm start.
Looks like it'll be a great challenge.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2016, 05:23:44 pm »
Thinking about this one. Cycled a bit around Pas de Peyrol last year. Beautiful area.

Andrew

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2016, 07:13:01 pm »
Challenge it is. It's a test beyond the norm. Last time out, the heat of the day was incredible and a challenge in itself. And then the terrain. Please do not under estimate this one. You'll need to be in peak (pun intended) form.

« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2016, 01:52:36 pm »
Go on Andrew, - you know you want to.

We should go for a cycle soon.

« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2016, 01:25:21 pm »
I am still considering this. Are you still going Andyp? Anyone else? I finished La Marmotte last week, so my climbing legs are somewhat improved. 1200km is still a long way though .........

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »
Not heard of this before.  Our house is in the middle of the route close to Moutier d'Ahun and I can confirm that the countryside is very beautiful but the roads are hard.  We reckon that 28-30m there is equivalent to 40m in the UK.

We won't be out there until August so otherwise we would be there cheering you on!

« Reply #12 on: 08 July, 2016, 02:10:21 pm »
I am still considering this. Are you still going Andyp? Anyone else? .........

There are 4 UK riders out of 65 on the start list including myself, veloboy and andyp. I don't think the event is full so get in touch with the Organizer Jean-Pierre if you're interested.

« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:02:17 pm »
Thanks for that Swiss hat. Better start getting sorted then.
Hope to see you there

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #14 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:04:43 pm »
I think i'm going to be out, just don't feel like i've done enough to set off invincible into the mountains without prospect of shops/controls/access to food and water... rough diamond tomorrow before deciding for sure.

I think I remember reading the original limit was around 100, so if it's not too late, I expect there's room for more. The organiser seems really nice, and very keen to keep/make it international.

Andrew.

« Reply #15 on: 08 July, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
Just done the sums and if it starts on the 25th July then it will be returning back past Moutier d'Ahun while we are there.

If we can help out in any way then let us know.  I'll make sure that we'll be in Moutier on either 3rd or 4th August to wave/chat or whatever if not.

Russell

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 08 July, 2016, 04:02:10 pm »
HK and I just finished PBP Audax with the organiser. He is a good bloke, just ask him if you have a query.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 08 July, 2016, 08:26:30 pm »
I rode this last time around and it was fantastic. Wish I was going to be riding again but I have a wedding to attend which clashes.

andyp I compel you to ride - it is a challenge but you will love it.

JP and his family setting up controls en route are a great feature of the ride. Pass on my regards Swiss hat.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2016, 09:32:11 pm »
I rode this last time around and it was fantastic. Wish I was going to be riding again but I have a wedding to attend which clashes.
andyp I compel you to ride - it is a challenge but you will love it.
JP and his family setting up controls en route are a great feature of the ride. Pass on my regards Swiss hat.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm sure it's amazing and was a good idea as the goal for the season... but i'm afraid work and family commitments this year have replaced dozens of the shorter quicker rides that are essential for developing enough speed to be able to detour for food, sleep, and ride with others, and that's left me several kph slower than i was this time last year. i've sent my apologies to the organiser, who got straight back to me saying I have until 2020 to train for the next one  :)

« Reply #19 on: 21 July, 2016, 11:22:32 am »
Tickets sorted now. I'll be arriving in Tours on the Sunday morning. Looking forward to the ride, though it is going to be tough. Anybody else arriving Sunday or are you leaving it until Monday?
See you.

« Reply #20 on: 21 July, 2016, 02:27:47 pm »
Veloboy and I should be arriving late afternoon Sunday after an easy (I hope) 2 day cycle from Dieppe. We'll be staying at the Hotel de Moulin Fleuri as recommended by JPM. See you there?

« Reply #21 on: 21 July, 2016, 06:53:55 pm »
Hi

For the "Douze-Cents" no brexit !
Are you ready ?

The whether will be fine.

At this time , you are 56.

jpm

« Reply #22 on: 21 July, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
Swiss hat,
I am staying with a friend in Tours but may be around town late afternoon/early evening. If you want to meet up txt me. I'll pm my number.
Otherwise I shall see you on Monday.
Have a good ride to Tours.

Andrew

« Reply #23 on: 26 July, 2016, 11:23:32 am »
follow it live-ish...

http://douzecentslive.blogspot.fr/

One abandon so far and 'no news' of 4.

The temperatures are mercifully cooler than the last edition. Allez les gars!

There's also an FB page but it seems to require that you have an account.

Andrew

« Reply #24 on: 27 July, 2016, 07:20:46 am »
3 more abandons (as of 3pm yesterday)... they're in the tough stuff now.

An impressive 1000 yard stare photo too!