Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754564 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4225 on: 26 June, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »
Ah yes - the Swan ... this was on our schedule in the days of yore when forward planning was the norm.  I have a feeling it was never visited, owing to the curse of forward planning.

Edit:  found it:-

07 Jun 2010   Swan   Bures
23 Jun 2010   Bell Inn   Castle Hedingham

We never did make it to the Swan (and the 07 Jun is a typo for 09 Jun, I think), but we did go to the Bell at Castle Hedingham, almost three years ago to the day.  I remember it being a very warm and light evening.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4226 on: 26 June, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
Looks like this is set up for a sprint pace between Braintree and Castle Hedingham.

We only need a 17mph average.  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4227 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
If Oaky leaves his house about 7:30 and picks me up as he passes my house 5 minutes later

Cool... I'll leave as soon as the Brownie pickup contingent arrives back which is estimated as 7:30 ... I'll then ride-it-like-I-stole-it round to the end of your road :)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4228 on: 27 June, 2013, 08:49:52 pm »
I got to the 'Bell' at Castle Hedingham by about 8:20, punters sitting outside, quite busy and a folk-y band playing somewhere within too. Oaky and Huggy arrived shortly after. There was a very good Red Fox Pale Ale on in addition to various Mighty Oak and Adnams brews. A bit of a headwind on the way out, that died later when it could have helped ::-) still, not a bad evening by the standards of this 'summer' and the only shower came later when we were o'er the Stour, in the 'Three Horseshoes' at Bures St Mary [Greene King-shhhh]. On the way back I was responsible for what was damn near comedy off-roading, on the lane between Earls Colne and Greensted Green via the 'closed' bridge.....

Oaky's Day 01 disc still looks shiny and lovely  :D

Got home at about 12:40 with 52 miles done.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4229 on: 27 June, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »
Damn - the Hell at Bedingham is a favourite of mine, and Bures is almost my back yard. Had I been a little more compost mental (got in from Japan late yesterday afternoon) I'd have enjoyed joining you. Hey ho - another time, perhaps.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4230 on: 28 June, 2013, 06:32:59 am »
Damn - the Hell at Bedingham is a favourite of mine, and Bures is almost my back yard. Had I been a little more compost mental (got in from Japan late yesterday afternoon) I'd have enjoyed joining you. Hey ho - another time, perhaps.

Well here's a challenge!  Engage forward planning mode and fix a date with TimC to do a return trip to his backyard so we can meet up  :thumbsup:

Tim, give us some Wednesday evenings when you're free in the coming weeks / months

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4231 on: 28 June, 2013, 04:28:29 pm »
Wednesday's ride had a better Beer/Miles ratio than usual  ;)

We should do this, or something similar, soon. I can't do next Weds, but the following two are clear....

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4232 on: 28 June, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »
Wednesday's ride had a better Beer/Miles ratio than usual  ;)

Depends on ones definition of "better"!

We should do this, or something similar, soon. I can't do next Weds, but the following two are clear....

Yup.  i'd also be up for a longer visit to the Bell@Hedingham at some point too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4233 on: 01 July, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
I'm not out on Wednesday as I have agreed to help a new Witham Cycling ride leader tomorrow night.

Please might I take the liberty of reminding those present of this event scheduled for Friday evening. 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4234 on: 02 July, 2013, 09:38:54 am »
Any takers for tomorrow night?  I'm completely neutral as to venue:  I will be out of the house whatever happens, since mrs_o has a couple of friends round. 

I know that OD and Tomsk are not coming out to play on Weds.

I'm not out on Wednesday as I have agreed to help a new Witham Cycling ride leader tomorrow night.

... I'd have come along to this too, but 6:30 is a bit early for me.  I might hop out a bit later and see if I can catch you up / meet up at the pub though, depending how things go today/tonight.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4235 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:47:23 am »
In the absence of any other takers,  I will be doing a longish ride tonight which might end up visiting the Compasses, probably around 10:00.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4236 on: 03 July, 2013, 11:23:12 am »
In the absence of any other takers,  I will be doing a longish ride tonight which might end up visiting the Compasses, probably around 10:00.
In the true tradition of non-advance planning I'm not sure of my availability this evening.  When you say longish ride what time are you looking to depart?  Also bearing in mind that my wheels don't turn as quick as yours at the moment a plan for a longish ride could mean a slightly later than 10:00 arrival at the Compasses, for me at least  ::-)

EDIT: Mrs H is going to be late home this evening so I have pass to come out to play.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4237 on: 03 July, 2013, 01:20:17 pm »

Well here's a challenge!  Engage forward planning mode and fix a date with TimC to do a return trip to his backyard so we can meet up  :thumbsup:

Tim, give us some Wednesday evenings when you're free in the coming weeks / months

Ah, you expect a knowledge of forward availability that I don't possess! It'll have to be on an opportunity basis, I'm afraid - slightly complicated by the fact that if I'm in UK my kids are with me on a Wednesday, and they're not old enough to drink yet!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4238 on: 03 July, 2013, 03:51:15 pm »
In the true tradition of non-advance planning I'm not sure of my availability this evening.  When you say longish ride what time are you looking to depart?  Also bearing in mind that my wheels don't turn as quick as yours at the moment a plan for a longish ride could mean a slightly later than 10:00 arrival at the Compasses, for me at least  ::-)

EDIT: Mrs H is going to be late home this evening so I have pass to come out to play.

On account of having a day off today for school sports day,  I can probably set off any time from about 18:00 onwards.

I was originally planning 64 miles with approx 53 of them before the compasses, and then a direct route home, however, I hadn't determined a route yet.

We could instead do ~40 miles to the compasses and then straight home... I have a couple of pre-prepared routes that would satisfy that requirement.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=260851 (49 miles, based on Witham Westerley)

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/circumnavigation-of-chelmsford (55 miles, an old route of mine I re-rode recently - I'd probably re-reoute it around Stock if I had time)

My gut feeling is to go with the first one (but i'll have to find an extra mile or two to get up to 50 :) )

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4239 on: 03 July, 2013, 03:53:43 pm »
I take it you'll be fully recuperated by Friday evening.

By the way, how did you get on at the school sports day?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4240 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:30:35 pm »

4th in the 100m dads' sprint in the morning.
last in the afternoon dads' race which was jumping along with a bean-bag gripped between the knees... (they changed it away from the sprint format because of too many injuries in the morning race).

My gut feeling is to go with the first one (but i'll have to find an extra mile or two to get up to 50 :) )

I just realised that that route doesn't quite make it to the compasses so it should be easily 50 with the compasses detour :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4241 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:31:21 pm »
huggy - what time will you be able to set off?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4242 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

last in the afternoon dads' race which was jumping along with a bean-bag gripped between the knees... (they changed it away from the sprint format because of too many injuries in the morning race).

Well done!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4243 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:50:57 pm »

I think coming away from the sprint uninjured was a result.  Apparently there are cuts, bruises and black eyes out there.   :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4244 on: 03 July, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
Its a dog dad eat dog dad world!!!  I've never understood why parents get so competitive at such events.  Pathetic!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4245 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »
huggy - what time will you be able to set off?
Should be with you about 6:30......
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4246 on: 04 July, 2013, 09:57:48 am »
That was grand.

55 miles, with two pubs - we were a bit ahead of schedule at Colne Engaine, and since my auto-pilot was already heading me towards the pub instead of the right turn we were meant to take, we stopped for a swift refreshment  (Crouch Vale "Essex Boys' Bitter") then on to the Compasses where we found that slipgate had decided to join us  :thumbsup:

My quads are feeling it a bit this morning - it is quite a choppy route.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4247 on: 08 July, 2013, 01:43:36 pm »
Is anybody out this week?

I can't help but notice that it's the Chelmsford beer festival this week, although it's not as MEMWNS-friendly as some other locations.

« Reply #4248 on: 08 July, 2013, 02:10:45 pm »
It's only Monday. Does this not constitute forward planning?
Probably not for me as I'm hoping to get a couple of long rides in this week. I did also point out to OD that Friday night's little sojourn doubled my alcohol intake for 2013, so twice in a few days is probably pushing it for me.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4249 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:02:29 pm »
Wednesday is ok for me  :thumbsup: