Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754352 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #7000 on: 13 June, 2015, 01:18:38 pm »
Good ride this morning right enough.  My extreme cooling measures may have been a bit unnecessary in the conditions and I think I lost a fair bit of skin somewhere on the ride...

The fact that I am sitting at home writing this shows that despite time trialling back to Kelvedon I didn't make it home in time for the Kings Lynn trip  :facepalm:

Assuming I am allowed out to play again on a Saturday morning, another fat burner followed by breakfast sounds like a great idea. 

I will fill in a detailed report on DL's ride feedback sheet but if somebody could sort the weather for next time that would be appreciated.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #7001 on: 13 June, 2015, 02:24:12 pm »
You'll have to complete a health and safety for for your 'spill'.

If you want to complain about the route dropping down a steep hill with gravel, nasty potholes a slippery cobbled ford at the bottom I suggest you F**k off and learn to ride your bike on slippery cobbles  ;D. I will be giving lessons on this subject after returning from Belgium.

« Reply #7002 on: 13 June, 2015, 02:37:41 pm »
I'll ask DL for an accident report form.

I'm sure it wouldn't have happened on my Domane.

« Reply #7003 on: 13 June, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »
 :thumbsup: yes indeed, I agree

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #7004 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:03:21 pm »
We can send DL to knock on your door and run  ;D

He is still a teenager so he will probably do it anyway.

Is he tall enough to reach the door knocker?

It's only about 2ft off the ground, so he'd probably cope. The door's less than 5ft high in total.
Unfortunately I tried knock down ginger this morning but the knocker was way too low for me ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #7005 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:08:03 pm »
I'll ask DL for an accident report form.

I'm sure it wouldn't have happened on my Domane.

It's probably important next time that you remember we are only on a long bike ride and not a duathlon  :facepalm: I admire your commitment to taking a little swim along to Kings Lyn but alas it was always destined to fail  :o

I shall get that accident form across to you shortly but in no way can Tippers be held responsible or liable to a claim  :o

Thanks for the ride out gents fully enjoyed it barring 'gods shower' on the way there also great to see Carlos again as it's been a while, what a shame we had no GoPro's running today as Ted would have entered the Hall of Fame!!! ;)

The Retiree

« Reply #7006 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:02:29 am »
Proposed route for the Witham peloton on Wednesday night: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9915116 nothing to strenuous and roughly 22 miles to the Swan.

I know Huggy was after a not too late return so pretty direct route back down to Witham avoiding the unwelcome Moutains Road surface  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7007 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:19:40 am »
It looks ford free so I might aim for an intercept near Kelvedon.

The Retiree

« Reply #7008 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:27:17 am »
It looks ford free so I might aim for an intercept near Kelvedon.

Sorry Ted I forgot that yourself and OD like a dip on a ride and meant to mention in my previous post that this again will be a BIKE RIDE only no swimming on Wednesday planned unless of course you happen to stumble across any fords or rivers/streams you fancy doing a few lengths along  :o  :facepalm:  ::-)

« Reply #7009 on: 15 June, 2015, 09:52:39 am »
Collecting the Domane this evening which should put an end to aquatic japery.

Apart from anything else I am not sure its bottom bracket would survive a puddle much less a river  >:(

The Retiree

« Reply #7010 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:04:54 am »
Collecting the Domane this evening which should put an end to aquatic japery.

Apart from anything else I am not sure its bottom bracket would survive a puddle much less a river  >:(

How does that old saying go again 'A bad workman always blames his......'  ;D Good news on the return of the Domane I would imagine you will be back to your 'ghosting' best

« Reply #7011 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:32:30 am »
Not sure "best" is how I would describe it.

Expect to see me turning up about 5 minutes after my so called wingman the Hustler.

Nice to see you back on route duties.  I am not sure that Tippers takes the same care over his health and safety risk assessment whereas you will have ridden the route and filled in a detailed  form in triplicate.

Not that any of it will matter after the Swan beer festival.

The Retiree

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #7012 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:39:16 am »
Nice to see you back on route duties.  I am not sure that Tippers takes the same care over his health and safety risk assessment whereas you will have ridden the route and filled in a detailed  form in triplicate.

Not that any of it will matter after the Swan beer festival.

Please see below following my risk assessment of the beer festival and your potential journey back to West Mersea........  :facepalm:

WTF!?:

...a few hundred meters up the road from the pub, at 1.30am!

Quite a comical evening. ;D

Ummmm.......quite a bit apparently

« Reply #7013 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:18:05 am »
Yes, point taken, I wouldn't want to end up in a green cycling top.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7014 on: 15 June, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »
Proposed route for the Witham peloton on Wednesday night: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9915116

I'll try and leave early and intercept the peloton in Silver End, at the grass triangle on the junction with Temple Lane. If I'm not there, don't wait - I'll probably go on to the Swan directly via Rivenhall.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7015 on: 15 June, 2015, 07:56:41 pm »
I will probably be in attendance at the Swan, but as per normal, not setting off until after 8pm when my meeting with the colonials finishes.  I'll work out a route and try to intercept you somewhere, or at least arrive at the pub at a similar time.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7016 on: 15 June, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »
I'm in London during the day on Wed, but should the opportunity arise... what time would you be arriving at The Swan?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7017 on: 16 June, 2015, 07:39:28 am »
I will be picking up one of the Tiptree Velo folk close to Tiptree so will meet y'all at the Swan.....I feel a very unproductive Thursday coming on!

edit: I went up to the Swan on Saturday, the tents are in the back garden (camping area) and it is cracking. They had a band playing music and there was a pop up pizza stand, I think it might be Kebab or the like on Wednesday. 5 pages of ales and a couple of Craft Beer (?) and Cider.

« Reply #7018 on: 16 June, 2015, 09:28:37 am »
I'm in London during the day on Wed, but should the opportunity arise... what time would you be arriving at The Swan?

If you can get there for 9 you shouldn't be far off.  Tippers might be there a bit earlier in case they run out of cider.

You have met me but we will be the group with the cider-drinking colonial, the small whippet like bloke, the bloke laying bets and the miserable Scotsman - oh and in cycling gear  :P

« Reply #7019 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:09:17 am »
Ted....also, I had a mail yesterday, Colchester Rovers are doing a Come and Try Time Trial evening tomorrow. 6pm from Peldon Hall for a swift 10 miler...you should still be able to get over to Spa Road for 18:30 if you keep a bit back  ;D

« Reply #7020 on: 16 June, 2015, 11:17:40 am »
I might borrow Carlos's unicycle for that.

The Retiree

« Reply #7021 on: 16 June, 2015, 03:48:45 pm »
You have met me but we will be the group with the cider-drinking colonial, the small whippet like bloke, the bloke laying bets and the miserable Scotsman - oh and in cycling gear  :P

You also won't miss Ted as he may have his wetsuit on or if as on saturday he decides to take a swim without, he will be the one in the 'wet cycling jersey' competition  :o

edit: They had a band playing music.

Andy will be beside himself now he knows there's a band..... let's hope they are playing folk music as he is partial to this and Morris Dancers evidently!!

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #7022 on: 16 June, 2015, 05:22:04 pm »
I was hoping for Prog Rock or maybe Reggae this time. :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7023 on: 16 June, 2015, 10:48:50 pm »
Right I've a route planned that heads through Maldon via TMNH and up to the pub;

Return route via Whickham Bishops, Ulting, Sandon back to Chelmo... (decided to skip TMNH on the return)

About 38 miles ish... just need to still be awake enough from tomorrow in the smoke and not dripping wet on the return leg LOL  Hopefully be there for 21:00ish :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7024 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:27:27 am »
Excellent!

BTW. I think I spotted a jar of VERY pickled eggs behind the bar on Saturday. :thumbsup: