Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300396 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1900 on: 14 September, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
I wonder if these tools hugely overestimate the energy expended cycling because they are based on normal cyclists.

I don't know what being a "normal" cyclist means, but surely the laws of physics dictate that the same amount of energy is required to move the same mass over the same distance, regardless of the level of cycling experience of that mass?

Bottom line for me is that I can't trust the numbers/suggested plans for weightloss suggested by websites.

Agreed. For me, the same ride data gives me 780 calories burned according to Livestrong and 825 calories burned according to MyNetDiary.com. At least one of those is out by a significant margin.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1901 on: 14 September, 2011, 11:22:38 am »
I wonder if these tools hugely overestimate the energy expended cycling because they are based on normal cyclists.

I don't know what being a "normal" cyclist means, but surely the laws of physics dictate that the same amount of energy is required to move the same mass over the same distance, regardless of the level of cycling experience of that mass?

That doesn't take into account efficiency. Which is more efficient:-
a) a properly set up bike with seat at the right height
b) saddle right down and knees up around your ears

in terms of both aerodynamic and pedaling (mechanical) efficiency.

Cardiovascular efficiency will mean that a fitter rider will expend less energy overall in propelling a bike along the road at a certain speed.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1902 on: 14 September, 2011, 11:34:58 am »
Cardiovascular efficiency will mean that a fitter rider will expend less energy overall in propelling a bike along the road at a certain speed.

OK, fair enough. I admit I don't really know much about how this works... Assuming all other things being equal, how much energy can you save through cardiovascular efficiency alone? 10%? 20%?

If I were interested in measuring improvements in cardiovascular efficiency, would it be as simple as measuring changes in max/resting heart rate over a period of time?

d.

« Reply #1903 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »
I think that without knowing the assumptions behind the estimate, it's difficult to trust. Certainly, it ignores wind and elevation. Most ignore the weight of the bike. Actually....

That's reminded me - David Hembrow has a calculator that does a bunch of these things.

http://www.hembrow.eu/personal/kreuzotter/espeed.htm

...and the numbers come out at ~.8 of the estimates that I get off sporttracks et al.

« Reply #1904 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:33:41 pm »
http://www.hembrow.eu/personal/kreuzotter/espeed.htm

Thanks for that link, it explains (sadly) why the original kreuzotter page disappeared off t'Internet.

citoyen

« Reply #1905 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
Interesting. Assuming a flat road and no wind, that gives me 470 calories for the same ride. However, adding even a small gradient or a light headwind massively bumps up the figure to something comparable to the Livestrong/MyNetDiary figures, or even higher...

I reckon the MyNetDiary figures are probably close enough for my purposes. I tend to guess and round up the calorie content of my food anyway, so that probably balances it out. Either way, my weight loss is roughly in line with what I'd expect from the figures in MyNetDiary, so it seems to be working out OK for me.

Still wouldn't mind getting a PowerTap though.

d.

« Reply #1906 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »
I wish my numbers were there or thereabout. I know I'm recording my intake accurately, and I know how much I weight. The only bit I can take issue with is the energy expenditure from cycling.

@greenbank - how do your numbers from your powertap compare to livestrong / myfitnesspal, etc?

« Reply #1907 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:37:21 pm »
@greenbank - how do your numbers from your powertap compare to livestrong / myfitnesspal, etc?

No idea. I've never used any of those sites/tools. I used to keep a food diary but that was in the days before I had a PowerTap to work out energy expenditure.

Nowadays I ride the fixed or my commuting hackbike (with childseat), neither of which will take the PowerTap wheel.

I lose weight by upping the amount of exercise I do, eating the same as before, and putting up with feeling hungry for periods of time.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1908 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »
Whether I'm upping the exercise or reducing my intake, I do make a point of eating more fresh fruit and vegetables than usual (and my usual is a rather higher proportion of those than the average) when on a calorie deficit.  It helps to avoid vitamin/mineral deficiencies that might otherwise accrue and the greater bulk tends to make me feel full.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1909 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:47:34 pm »
I think I've plateaued again.  A bit better than previous levellings off, but still remarkably static.

Must.  Resist.  Chocolate. :(
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #1910 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »
Chocolate, like descents, has to be earned.

d.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1911 on: 14 September, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »
Can you think of ways to change your diet/exercise routines?  It can become difficult to just keep on the same, especially when diminishing returns mean you have to do more of the same, but harder.  Variety keeps the interest up.

I invested in a couple of Indian slow-cooker recipe books, recently.  Building up a balanced all-veg Indian meal (couple of different things from the slow cooker, a fresh salad and something quickly prepared like spicy stir-fried cabbage, say) is interesting, a pleasant change of routine and very healthy.  And the slow cooker part takes a lot of the effort out of it.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1912 on: 19 September, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »
Cutting out the morning/afternoon snacks. Luckily I've got a busy week of meetings to keep me occupied.

Nice and hungry now, luckily it's time to nuke my lunch...

« Reply #1913 on: 19 September, 2011, 04:02:35 pm »
I think I've plateaued again.  A bit better than previous levellings off, but still remarkably static.

Well I plateaued some time ago. Despite that, however, I still feel in much better shape than I was. I had to buy new trousers at the weekend - I'm now a 32" waist, down from 36" a year ago. I've just been to the "Men's Health Week" Clinic at work and been told that my blood pressure is down (now 117/71 with a pulse of 67). My BMI is under 23 (from 26). The only contra sign is that my cholesterol is up slightly to 4.73mmol/L, but that wasn't considered an issue. For those who've met me - I'm no athlete (just a mid to late 50s blob of lard).

The main thing I've done is to take a little more exercise, weigh myself regularly (which helps me think about what I've eaten in the past day or so if I've moved in the wrong direction), cut down on the carbs and up the fruit and veg intake. The packs of crisps and chocolate biscuits in the evening have all gone. My main problem now is that I don't stint when out on a longish ride (lots of cake and jelly babies). Afterwards I find I've put a kg or so of weight on which can take a couple of weeks to shift.

simonp

« Reply #1914 on: 20 September, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
I was 68kg at the weekend.  Looking less likely than previously that I’ll end up a bloater by November following a 1000k+ event in the summer. :)

« Reply #1915 on: 20 September, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »
I was 68kg at the weekend.  Looking less likely than previously that I’ll end up a bloater by November following a 1000k+ event in the summer. :)

Well it's not like you are getting no exercise is it :)

Jakob

« Reply #1916 on: 21 September, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
Just started on a 30-day paleo diet this Monday. This means no grains, starch, sugar, diary & legumes for 30 days.
Plan is then to add moderate amounts of the 'banned' items back after the 30 days.
Currently feeling constantly hungry, despite eating quite decent portions of vegs/fruit/meat/eggs, but it's not a 'I need something to eat or I'll die' kinda thing but more a 'I need more!'.
Topped out at 92kg 1 month ago..got it down to 91 before this (90 this morning) and are quietly hoping to get it down to 85kg by the end of the month.
We also had body fat % measured (with a caliper) and I was at 20.4% and we'll re-measure at the end of the 30 days.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1917 on: 28 September, 2011, 08:05:16 am »
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

After months at a plateau I've finally managed to lose over 1kg in the space of a week.  Just three more to go.  Too bad I'm already two months past my target date.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1918 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:03:00 am »
Starting to get sensible numbers out of the predictive model I'm using. So long as I assume that I am burning 60% of the calories suggested by the usual estimates for cycling, the model quite accurately predicts my weight loss. To make the calorie tracking software I'm using help me along those lines, I've had to set a net calorie goal of 600kcal on the days I commute. However, my model suggests that I'm only really running at a 500kcal daily deficit, and this fits my (lack of) hunger and weight loss data. I'm basically doing 60km a day during the week*, aiming to eat ~2300kcal a day including at the weekend.

For me, those "well done, you've burnt 1500kcal" messages are a hindrance. Telling myself "No I can't have an extra helping of toffee apple pie and vanilla crunch ice cream" is not made easier by them.

*my BMR is quite low, and my lifestyle is utterly sedentry other than cycling

Chris S

« Reply #1919 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:06:05 am »
@DrMekon - Have you seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14882832 ?

« Reply #1920 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
Yep - if you look back on the thread, you'll find a link to the special series in The Lancet (the story that BBC have picked up), which is what gave me the idea of modifying my response. I don't claim to have followed their model properly. I'm just trying to get my independent variables (Basal metabolic rate estimate, calorie intake, lifestyle estimate, energy expenditure estimate)  to predict my dependent variable (weight).

You should have a play with the app on the Lancet page. Its numbers don't come out much more accurate that the Weight =  Starting weight + (Calories - ((BMR X Harris-Benedict) + Energy expenditure))) formula I started with*, but it's useful to see the difference between weight loss and weight maintenance.

http://www.thelancet.com/series/obesity

*27 days in, this model predicts I should weight 1.22kg less than I do. If I'd believed that I'd restricted myself as much as it says I had and only lost what I have (2kg instead of 3.22kg), I think I'd have given up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1921 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:30:44 am »
Oh arse!  Despite making an effort to both keep the miles up and amounts of sillyfood down, I've put on over a kilo in the last week, recovering from illness. :-\
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1922 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:33:58 am »
I've been eating like a bottomless pit since PBP

But this morning I got out my tightest cycling top and mrs V said I must have lost diameter around the middle as it looked okay, whereas before PBP there was a bit of a spare tyre effect

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1923 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:27:16 pm »
I've lost 20lbs in the last month, but the past two weeks I have felt so utterly knackered. Last night I went to bed at half past seven.
I think I might be trying too hard.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1924 on: 03 October, 2011, 11:40:05 pm »
Sounds like it.  One to two pounds per week is usually a more sustainable pace.  If you're determined to maintain that level of calorie deficit, the best I could say is to up the amount of fresh fruit you eat and take some vitamin supplements as well.  Actually, no, the best advice I could give is to ease up.