Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300583 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2025 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »
Change your relationship with food; learn to love it and stop treating it like a cheap date.

What if you aren't into the commitment thing, and a cheap date is all you are after? There's a right dirty pot of chunky monkey I have my eye on for tonight.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2026 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:27:03 pm »
Just eat it then. But don't eat it every day  ;D
Yesterday I had 3 doughnuts at work as they were going to be wasted!! Not worried about it as I'm not on a diet.
I've just changed eating habits, the main one is to cut out the shed loads of bread I was eating. That's not religiously either as I had some last weekend when cycling.

Rich

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2027 on: 11 November, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »
When you say you started taking it more seriously, do you mean more cycling or was this through other forms of excercise ? A lot of questions i know, but i used to be 12st 8 now at 14st 5 after quitting the fags, and can't seem to shift anything despite more cycling.

Like Rich, I don't worry about what I eat, just how much of it I eat. You just have to be scrupulously honest with yourself. Which, admittedly, is a lot easier to say than do.

I find that keeping a food diary helps (I use mynetdiary.com).

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2028 on: 13 November, 2011, 12:32:24 pm »
I've been making steady progress since restarting the cycling, of just under 1lb per week.
Then one night out raving, and I dropped 3lb overnight! Totally skews my graph!

« Reply #2029 on: 16 November, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »
mwah.hah.hah.hah http://www.trend-corner.com/index_flash.php?pid=471

Some people will probably buy these..........

(sorry it's in french, icba to find the UK version)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2030 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:34:19 am »
I've just changed eating habits, the main one is to cut out the shed loads of bread I was eating. That's not religiously either as I had some last weekend when cycling.
i've been reading this with interest. I've put on loads of weight recently and just had to get my size 18 clothes out of the cupboard, which means lots of my cycling stuff is a bit tight now.

I eat loads of bread. I wonder sbout having a go at reducing it significantly but what do I have instead? Lunch each day currently is french stick with ham or cheese (maybe a third of a french stick) or two rounds of sandwiches. I can't just eat the ham for lunch...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #2031 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:50:07 am »
I eat loads of bread. I wonder sbout having a go at reducing it significantly but what do I have instead? Lunch each day currently is french stick with ham or cheese (maybe a third of a french stick) or two rounds of sandwiches. I can't just eat the ham for lunch...

Eat the ham with some salad, tomato, an avocado, some couscous or whatever you like in a salad, and follow with fruit.

When I'm paying more attention to my eating habits - I hardly ever eat bread. Another lunchtime favourite is soup. If I'm getting ready to audax, I'll probably "fortify" it with pasta.

« Reply #2032 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:08:38 pm »
Ham's off.

;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2033 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:33:36 pm »
Ham's off.

;D

Spam's not Kosher but I wish Bezeq would stop bombarding me with junk...

citoyen

« Reply #2034 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:42:56 pm »
Another lunchtime favourite is soup.

I don't think it's bread per se that's the problem, rather it's how to eat enough to feel sated without piling on the calories. To that end, soup is ideal. Just don't have bread with it.

Another personal favourite is vegetable curry. Soften some onion (in veg oil, or you in water if you want to reduce the fat), stir in some Patak's curry paste (or curry powder to reduce the fat), chuck in a load of bulky vegetables - squash, sweet potato, swede, carrots etc - and a tin or two of tomatoes and simmer until the veg is cooked. Add some tinned chickpeas (very high in fibre, low in fat) and you don't even need rice or bread with it. Filling and highly nutritious.

d.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2035 on: 18 November, 2011, 06:31:15 am »
I've definitely found that being careful with bread has helped. I limit myself to two slices of wholemeal per day, but I do slip sometimes.  I don't touch cake or biccies though.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2036 on: 21 November, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »
Weighed myself at Sainsbury's Friday evening, and have finally beaten the 12 stone barrier. Now way 11st 25lbs.  :thumbsup:

It's the only sensible way to look at these things.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jakob

« Reply #2037 on: 21 November, 2011, 06:39:09 pm »
Bounced up a bit after coming off the Paleo, but have now stabilized it, with maybe 1lbs gain and hope to translate that into a more steady weight loss.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2038 on: 22 November, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »
Norovirus.

4.5 lb in 24 hours.

Effective, but NOT reccomended.

« Reply #2039 on: 22 November, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »
Norovirus.

4.5 lb in 24 hours.

Effective, but NOT reccomended.

I can confirm that having a wisdom tooth out also falls under the ‘effective but not recommended’ category.

Typically I’d already got down to my target weight (I wanted to lose the 6kg that had crept on over the last year, by going to Spinning classes and controlling my portions carefully, and had all but managed it over a period of 3 months). But at least this will give me some wiggle room for Xmas!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2040 on: 22 November, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »
Weight lost by short-term starvation is easily and rapidly regained.
NSTN should be drinking rice pud, Yazoo! and Audax slops...

« Reply #2041 on: 23 November, 2011, 12:58:47 pm »
I'm avoiding the scales at the moment :-[
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2042 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:31:29 pm »
Not many people keeping up the weigh in, I note.  :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2043 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:34:26 pm »
It's too cold to take your clothes off to stand on the scales.  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2044 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »
I managed it :P
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #2045 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:43:54 pm »
I feel more inclined to do it when I'm actually making progress towards my goal.  :smug:

d.

« Reply #2046 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:54:58 pm »
I feel more inclined to do it when I'm actually making progress towards my goal.  :smug:

d.
This the main problem :-[

« Reply #2047 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:55:04 pm »
I allways do mine a day late on Thusday,thats when I go to SW.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2048 on: 23 November, 2011, 03:05:17 pm »
The Current Mrs R is still doing well at SW.  16lbs lost, 2 stickers gained  :thumbsup:   :-*

madeinleeds

« Reply #2049 on: 23 November, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »
I haven't read all 138 pages of this thread, so might have already been covered, but I lost 7 kilo over 3 months, helped a lot by cutting out my daily ham & cheese sandwich/bagel and eating Ainsley Harriott couscous for lunch. I have had it now nearly every lunchtime for 4 months. I fear possibly not healthy for me, but neither I think is a large bread/cheese consumption. I recommend the one with the camel on the front, though I do have visions of Ainsleys face in my dreams now.