Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300513 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2050 on: 23 November, 2011, 10:40:17 pm »
Taking a good look at myself, I realise that there is a good reason why I'm now finding it very hard to drop much below 71kg.  Reason is simple: I'm now as lean as when I was 68kg, a couple of years back, but with the addition of much more developed quads, traps and lats.  I don't actually have a pot belly any more, just some loose skin which is a permanent memento of the (hard to remember, now) time I was 25 kilos heavier.

Time to stop punishing myself and get back, carefully, on the strength training routine.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2051 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:21:42 am »
I feel more inclined to do it when I'm actually making progress towards my goal.  :smug:

d.
This the main problem :-[

I seem to have plateaued at the moment, something to do with autume and the cold and the c*&^%$t food.

Need to be more focused on the goal not the now.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2052 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:36:30 am »
I haven't read all 138 pages of this thread, so might have already been covered, but I lost 7 kilo over 3 months, helped a lot by cutting out my daily ham & cheese sandwich/bagel and eating Ainsley Harriott couscous for lunch. I have had it now nearly every lunchtime for 4 months. I fear possibly not healthy for me, but neither I think is a large bread/cheese consumption. I recommend the one with the camel on the front, though I do have visions of Ainsleys face in my dreams now.

Ye Gods!!!!! is it worth it?!!!!  ;D

« Reply #2053 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:39:03 am »
I've lost 6 kilos in 3 months, but seem to have stalled a little in the last week. I wondered about the effect of the cold weather.  Anyway trying to refocus today.

madeinleeds

« Reply #2054 on: 24 November, 2011, 12:38:04 pm »
I haven't read all 138 pages of this thread, so might have already been covered, but I lost 7 kilo over 3 months, helped a lot by cutting out my daily ham & cheese sandwich/bagel and eating Ainsley Harriott couscous for lunch. I have had it now nearly every lunchtime for 4 months. I fear possibly not healthy for me, but neither I think is a large bread/cheese consumption. I recommend the one with the camel on the front, though I do have visions of Ainsleys face in my dreams now.

Ye Gods!!!!! is it worth it?!!!!  ;D

I guess theres worse celebrity chefs out there that could sneak into my dreams, not many mind..

« Reply #2055 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »
I've only recently restarted posting my weekly weigh-ins.  I have to admit that, when the numbers were going the wrong way, there was a great temptation not to bother.  I also have had on my to-do list for some time an action to go through the Weight Watchers 'Pro-points' books and work out how many points we're currently having and where we can cut down.  It's not the most exciting way of spending an evening and lots of other things keep being more important urgent.

But I am fed up with MrsC whinging about her weight so I suppose I should knuckle down...

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2056 on: 27 November, 2011, 08:43:37 pm »
I maintained last week, which was disappointing.

Trouble is I'm at the stage where I've run out of naughties to eliminate.  Being vegan, things like chocolate, cake and biccies are pretty much eliminated by default.

I guess I'll just have to put some more miles in, preferably of the more lumpy variety.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2057 on: 28 November, 2011, 02:34:20 am »
Despite resolving to stop the calorie deficit and go back to strength training, I find myself a shade under 70kg.  Whoops; need to recalibrate.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2058 on: 28 November, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
I maintained last week, which was disappointing.

Trouble is I'm at the stage where I've run out of naughties to eliminate.  Being vegan, things like chocolate, cake and biccies are pretty much eliminated by default.

I guess I'll just have to put some more miles in, preferably of the more lumpy variety.
When I was vegan I found cakes and the like an interesting challenge. An outlook that didn't help my weight. :-[
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #2059 on: 28 November, 2011, 03:59:10 pm »
Right I'm back and getting my News Year's resolution in early.

I buggered my ankle up in April which kept me off any serious cycling all year so have ballooned from a not particularly svelte 92kg to 102kg. Trouble is that if you avoid the scales and have a Masters in Denial Studies you can avoid ever having to confront the fact.

So there's me -  in bed last night watching a YouTube video on the History of London Transport on the Android tablet and suddenly the picture changes to Jabba the Hutt .I've just turned on the camera and I'm looking at my chins from below :o :o

Arrghhhhh!
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #2060 on: 30 November, 2011, 01:04:09 pm »
Up 2.1 kg since my last report in September. Not too bad considering that between then and now I've had a broken ankle and thus cycling has been somewhat limited. Even without such goings on I do seem to veer towards the lardy stuff when it starts to get a bit nippy. I need to watch it!

« Reply #2061 on: 30 November, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »
Crikey!! Up to 75kg at my last weigh in. I just had to send back some trousers I ordered and get the next size up.  :o

Still, with an hbA1c of 6.9% at that same checkup, I'm over the moon.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2062 on: 30 November, 2011, 04:32:40 pm »
So will your GP be, as you're under their target ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2063 on: 01 December, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »
Not a good week.  I was hoping to break the 14stone barrier, but  :face palm:

S

I would prefer to work in kg but I can't read the smaller numbers on the scales!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2064 on: 02 December, 2011, 06:33:38 am »
It looks like my gruelling (for me) 3 hour foray up Box Hill and the surrounding areas last saturday has worked,  5.5 pounds off this week.  After maintaining last week I'm highly delighted.

That leaves me 1 stone 3.5 lbs off target.

« Reply #2065 on: 15 December, 2011, 08:28:01 pm »
I notice it's all gone quiet here.  Presumably we're all giving up for the festive season?
MrsC and I have decided that we will be back on strict Weight Watchers in the new year.  She will be looking for work again and having clothes which fit and are presentable would be a bit of a help. 

S

« Reply #2066 on: 15 December, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »
I'm not giving up for the festive season. Well, I will be on 25th, 26th, 31st and 1st. But actually, right now, I'm sticking to it with a rigour I haven't managed for most of this year.

I can't really waste any time. You know there's only 188 days till The Scottish Ride? I need to lose 106g/day!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2067 on: 15 December, 2011, 09:05:29 pm »
Still at 15st 15.2st midweek and after the weekend. Been the same for a few weeks.
Mind you I'm not really dieting, just changing eating habits. Not done much exercise apart from the very short commute so looks like I've found a level.
I've completely changed shape from a few months ago though and do plan to do more in the new year.

Rich

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2068 on: 16 December, 2011, 02:35:02 pm »
I notice it's all gone quiet here.  Presumably we're all giving up for the festive season?

Not exactly given up but have hit a bit of a plateau at around the 75kg mark, mainly due to lack of riding opportunities (and no other exercise) and indulging in a bit of festive cheer. I'm not going to worry too much if I don't shed any more weight before the end of the year, only if I start piling it back on...

Still, at the office Christmas party last week, a couple of people who I haven't seen for some months mentioned independently that they thought I was looking trim. Which was nice.  :smug:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #2069 on: 16 December, 2011, 09:49:58 pm »
I'm not giving up for the festive season. Well, I will be on 25th, 26th, 31st and 1st. But actually, right now, I'm sticking to it with a rigour I haven't managed for most of this year.

I can't really waste any time. You know there's only 188 days till The Scottish Ride? I need to lose 106g/day!

Best of luck.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2070 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:08:36 am »
I've been reading the 'battling the bottle' thread, in the hope of picking up some tips. Not for not drinking, I very rarely drink (i've even somewhat flippantly wished I did, as, not having a great desire to drink, I'd be able to give it up  easily for instant effortless weight loss) but for dealing with unhealthy addictive behaviour.
Drinkers can go with a 'nothing' approach. So can smokers. Those of us whose weakness involves overeating, can't just stop.
Still, one day at a time seems to be the common thread, so I'll see how today goes. Yesterday was fine. Today I just have to manage the same.

« Reply #2071 on: 17 December, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »
Drinkers can go with a 'nothing' approach. So can smokers. Those of us whose weakness involves overeating, can't just stop.

Oh really? What about when you're drinking so much that just stopping could kill you? You're on an NHS waiting list for a detox which is months long and you don't have a spare 15 grand to go private. You must keep drinking or risk going into seizure and potentially dying if you're not lucky enough to be taken to hospital in time. But you mustn't drink too much as you could die of alcohol poisoning. But you must drink something

You're lying in bed feeling like death. All you want to do is vomit. You have no strength. You need a sip of water. Fortunately you do have a glass of water by your bed. So you summon a huge amount of energy just to sit up - nearly fainting in the process. You reach out for the glass of water but your hands are shaking so much you can't pick it up. Evenentually you make a grab for it. You get it and pour some in your mouth, but most of it goes all over your face and your bed. You slump down again. That's a bit better.

Now I have to get a "proper" drink. I need to. I'll go into seizure if I don't. I don't want a drink - I feel too sick to think about it, but I have to do it. But I've run out of booze! I thought I had a bit of vodka left, but I can see the empty bottle on my desk! I need to go out and get some! Shit! It takes 10 minutes, but I eventually manage to slide myself around and sit on the edge of the bed. Right - clothes. Ok, on the floor. It takes an age but I get them on. I slide on some shoes. I'm standing now. I'm realy unsteady on my feet - but I'm up. Right, keys, wallet go. I get down the stairs now I'm at the front door. Shit - I hope nobody sees me. I practice speaking. I can't do it properly. Hopefully I can mumble something about vodka and they'll understand me in the shop. Thank fuck the shop is only at the end of the road. Outside it's freezing. I'm shaking and can't walk more than a few yards at a time. The panic attacks are now coming! Shit, this is insane! I eventually get to the shop. I successfully order some vodka. It's in my pocket! I can go home! I start stumbling back. I should have a sip now. I open it up, the smell makes me wretch. I take a sip. It's disgusting. I stagger on, stopping occasionaly, bent double as I'm about to be sick. Mrs Jones at number 47 is looking on disapprovingly. I get home and start making tiny inroads into the bottle. I still feel terrible and wonder if I should call an ambulance or not. After a few hours I'm starting to feel normal again. I can drink the vodka easily now. It's going down a treat. But I can't drink too much. I could die if I do. Take it easy. Fight it. Make sure you leave a little bit for tomorrow morning. Tired now. Back to bed. Same again tomorrow. And the next day. And the next. And the next. Until they can get me to detox. Unless of course I end up in hospital before then anyway......

So next time a plate of mince pies is put in front of you, have a think about it. Have a think about what an absolute piece of piss it is to just stick to one mince pie rather than two.

Greedy guts  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2072 on: 17 December, 2011, 04:37:18 pm »
By the way, that was supposed to be encouragement! I fully appreciate it must be incredibly difficult watching everything you eat in an attempt to lose weight - especially when you're hungry. But it must be piss easy in comparison to the living hell of trying to cut down on drinking when you absolutely have to.

« Reply #2073 on: 17 December, 2011, 05:56:02 pm »
By the way, that was supposed to be encouragement! I fully appreciate it must be incredibly difficult watching everything you eat in an attempt to lose weight - especially when you're hungry. But it must be piss easy in comparison to the living hell of trying to cut down on drinking when you absolutely have to.
I'm not belittling your achievement, far from it. A year later, you don't drink.
A year from now, I'll still HAVE to eat. Every day. Two, three, four times. Just enough, but not too much, a knife edge. That forcing yourself to drink that you had to at first? It'll be like that forever. Forever. For the rest of my life, I'll have to be on constant guard.
Smokers can never smoke again. Alcoholics can never drink again, after that initial detox.
Every single day of my life I'll be presented with a temptation.
Drinkers can avoid situations where drink is present. Ditto smokers.

I, and nearly everyone else know that what alcoholics have is a kind of disease.

Fat people are pointed at in the street. It's just being 'weak-willed', a lazy bastard, a greedy guts.

This can kill me, too. Just slower.

« Reply #2074 on: 17 December, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »
Every single day of my life I'll be presented with a temptation.
Drinkers can avoid situations where drink is present. Ditto smokers.

Every single day ex-drinkers and ex-smokers think about it. Every single day the temptation to nip to the shop is there. It's no different. it's impossible to avoid booze and fags completely. They're always there. Either in your mind or right in front of you.

I, and nearly everyone else know that what alcoholics have is a kind of disease.

Fat people are pointed at in the street. It's just being 'weak-willed', a lazy bastard, a greedy guts.

This can kill me, too. Just slower.

Let's say you have two people applying for the same job. Person A is a reformed alcoholic. Person B is a bit overweight. They are both equal in terms of skills as far as the employer is concerned. The employer needs to make a choice. S/he knows person B is a bit overweight and knows (somehow) that person a is an alcoholic.

You can bet your bollocks to a barn dance person B will get the job every time.

So stop moaning  :P