Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300717 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2100 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:22:17 pm »
I've lost 3kg in the last 3 weeks and am therefore inspired by success.

I'm quite astonished that someone as fundamentally lazy and greedy as me has managed to lose weight over Christmas.

I'd be :smug: were it not that 3 kg are a drop in the ocean of lard, and there's a hell of a long way to go.

Well done!  Go on, be :smug:  I would.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2101 on: 31 December, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »
Some ppl say 3kg.  Others see half a stone.... which a) sounds more impressive and b) is pretty damn good IMO!

Apparently I've 'only' put on the best part of a stone over three months of being off the bike and glumpy.  That could have been worse  :-\

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2102 on: 31 December, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »
I'd be :smug: were it not that 3 kg are a drop in the ocean of lard, and there's a hell of a long way to go.

It's taken me four whole months to lose 6kg, so I'd say you have reason to be :smug:

And over Christmas, too. That's some feat of willpower.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2103 on: 01 January, 2012, 11:07:01 am »
I keep peeking in here and thinking "My God! Why do they want to lose weight when they're already feathers?"

That's a question pretty easy to answer. Just look below:
Quote from: fboab
I'd be  were it not that 3 kg are a drop in the ocean of lard, and there's a hell of a long way to go.

and:
Quote from: Pedaldog
Last day of the Old Year and, I hope, Last Day of the "I'll deal with it Some time" attitude.

It's just like with every other addiction, it is a lot easier to nip in the bud. There is no point in procrastinating and making excuses, because once you piled up some lard this will then help to produce estrogen (even in men) and that in turn will help to keep you even more complacent and make it much harder to start the fight and keep fighting.

Go on, whine if it gets too hard. You are entitled too, you are fighting a serious opponent.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2104 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:11:20 pm »
I'm feeling a tad gutted having put on a whopping 8 lbs over Christmas, though only managing about 25 miles in nearly a fortnight won't have helped. 

I have had a few beers & glasses of wine and I don't doubt that the buffet style food that has predominated is deadly. Hey ho, at least it guards against complacency.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2105 on: 01 January, 2012, 05:56:52 pm »

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2106 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:01:37 pm »
I keep peeking in here and thinking "My God! Why do they want to lose weight when they're already feathers?" and then thinking that I ought to do something about my weight.

Just looking at McShrooms 122kg made me think a bit more and I just bullied the scales to tell me how bad it is.  It's BAD! 127.8kg!
Last day of the Old Year and, I hope, Last Day of the "I'll deal with it Some time" attitude.
I've done some cycling on four of the last five days and it was made clear to me that the Brooks Bone was feeling it with the lard and gasping for breath on the slightest incline is not joyfull.
It's going to be a slow and difficult one but it has to be!  Be prepared for some Heavy Duty whining over the next year or so!

JUNIOR  :smug: :smug:
I'm still heavier than you  :'(
But I start 2012 with 3 months away from home to get a fresh start on life. I shall try to get fitter and improve my low self-esteem and hopefully loose some of the natural insulation I seems to have added to my corpus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2107 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »
I'm feeling a tad gutted having put on a whopping 8 lbs over Christmas, though only managing about 25 miles in nearly a fortnight won't have helped. 

I have had a few beers & glasses of wine and I don't doubt that the buffet style food that has predominated is deadly. Hey ho, at least it guards against complacency.

Gandalf and any others who have gained large amounts of weight over Christmas:
DON'T WORRY, DON'T FRET!

It's not all fat; it's mosly water and glycogen.

You can lose most of this weight with a fortnight of sensible eating.

Happy New Year!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2108 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:52:10 pm »
Goals for 2012:
1) 115 Kg
2) 100 Kg
3)   85 Kg Which gives me  a BMI :sick: of 28
 ( But I've recently had a dexa scan that proved if I have a BMI  :sick: of 25 my fat % will be 0 )

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2109 on: 01 January, 2012, 07:37:15 pm »
Thank you, boab, for posting the 2012 thread.
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2110 on: 01 January, 2012, 08:21:44 pm »
Well I put myself on the weight loss reports thread and so it has to be :o.

I've marked my target as 85kg but I am not expecting that to be anytime soon! 

Maybe I couuld grow taller and that would look better? (5' 8" high and about the same wide!)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #2111 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
Thanks BOAB. I don't post targets because if I don't hit them I think 'stuff it', and eat chocolate ::-). No heavier is the main goal. Lighter would be good.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

simonp

« Reply #2112 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
Graphs from Wednesday, hopefully.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2113 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
Yep, thank's for the thread boab   :thumbsup:

I'm committed now, although I'm useless at setting targets so I'll look at them after a couple months when I have an idea what I'm on about
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2114 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »

DON'T WORRY, DON'T FRET!

Happy New Year!

Suppose you've been steadily gaining about a stone and a half over a 2 month period?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2115 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »

DON'T WORRY, DON'T FRET!

Happy New Year!

Suppose you've been steadily gaining about a stone and a half over a 2 month period?

The first half stone is usually easy to lose. Losing more weight after that is often a demoralising slog...

« Reply #2116 on: 03 January, 2012, 12:36:10 am »

You may want to amend your thanks as it appears I gave November 31 days  :facepalm:

I've corrected the code now if any pedants would like to switch it before we start weighing in on Wednesday.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2117 on: 03 January, 2012, 12:41:24 am »

You may want to amend your thanks as it appears I gave November 31 days  :facepalm:

I've corrected the code now if any pedants would like to switch it before we start weighing in on Wednesday.

I noticed that but didn't like to say anything. I think you've also re-elected Edward Heath's government* for the end of June. ;)

*For the Very Young, Heath introduced the 3-day week.

« Reply #2118 on: 03 January, 2012, 12:58:03 am »

I noticed that but didn't like to say anything. I think you've also re-elected Edward Heath's government* for the end of June. ;)

*For the Very Young, Heath introduced the 3-day week.

D'oh!
Sorted.
It's a complicated business, counting.
That and literacy: there is no longer a 22th of Feb.
I should leave it to the experts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2119 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:01:10 am »
That's why I prefer the simpler chart. After all, we don't really need to know the exact date of every Wednesday, just as long as there's a space for every one of them in each month. 12 columns, 5 data rows, less screen clutter, all done.

« Reply #2120 on: 03 January, 2012, 11:32:16 am »
OK, so now I've posted up my current weight, and my target weight for all to see, there's less oportuntiy for slacking.... hopefully...

:)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2121 on: 03 January, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
Damn!  Caught. :(

I went across the road to get the bits for my lunch (pitta, houmous, cheese, yoghurt etc), and someone forced me to buy a chocolate bar! >:(

OK, no one forced me.  I was weak and stupid and made a mistake based on habit.

No one forced me to eat it either.  Idiot. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #2122 on: 03 January, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »
I decided to take December off. Back up to 76kg (BMI 21.3). I could calculate my alcohol units over Xmas, but it would be ugly. So, a dry January, and a big (500-1000kcal) daily calorie deficit. I'm back on http://myfitnesspal.com. The slightly annoying this is that it's the same pattern as last year. I have no trouble losing weight, and don't struggle with motivation as long as I have a big ride coming up. However, as soon as I've got my big rides out of the way and Xmas is looming, I just can't be arsed and I start drinking like a fish. I find maintenance and moderation so boring. One odd thing is that I've discovered I'm still comfortably in 30" waist jeans whether I'm 68kg or 76kg. My excess calories just sit in my love handles.

I'm DrMekon on myfitnesspal if anyone else is joining up.

Chris S

« Reply #2123 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:04:56 pm »
Just had a gym induction at Diss gym. It's quite small, but has everything I need (including 2x Concept II rowers - mine is on a sabatical as there's no room for it here) - so I signed up for six months of Gym & Swim; excellent value at £33 a month I think, and very convenient as it's literally 45 seconds walk from the flat.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2124 on: 03 January, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »
Damn!  Caught. :(

I went across the road to get the bits for my lunch (pitta, houmous, cheese, yoghurt etc), and someone forced me to buy a chocolate bar! >:(

OK, no one forced me.  I was weak and stupid and made a mistake based on habit.

No one forced me to eat it either.  Idiot. :-[

Don't worry!  You'll burn it off riding home into the wind. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: