Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300829 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2200 on: 10 January, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »
I'm back on fixed this week. Definitely forces me to put more effort in. Going to do my first fixed 200km next month, so need to get the legs working.

« Reply #2201 on: 10 January, 2012, 12:37:48 pm »
It depends how you ride.
I go at a slower average speed on fixed for the same effort. I don't think I use more calories, I don't put more effort in.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2202 on: 10 January, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »
<...> which involves much cooking from scratch and taking lunches into work, which will help a lot. Really I just need to curb my talent for making enormous amounts of chocolate disappear, which has started up again over Xmas and not wanting to go away.

this is almost a mirror image of my diet - good quality food cooked from scratch, fruits and veg, but far too much chocolate. i'm not too concerned about my weight as it stays fairly constant, but constant snacking on chocolate does no favours to my teeth..

« Reply #2203 on: 10 January, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
FWIW, one of the guys on MFP with an HRM who is also a fen dweller reckons MFP was estimating ~2250kcal for his commute, and his HRM derived figures are varying between 500kcal and 1600kcal.

Agree with the comment about Livestrong being worse. When I was using it, I was having to aim for a 1kg drop to get a .5kg drop on average.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2204 on: 10 January, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »
I'm dreading tomorrow morning and the results of last weekend's celebrations and too much chocolate this evening (I blame work for the latter).  :-\

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2205 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:45:26 am »
I'm dreading tomorrow, today now :-[ and blaming my weak willed, lazy, easy option taking SELF!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #2206 on: 11 January, 2012, 12:50:30 am »
I'm dreading tomorrow, today now :-[ and blaming my weak willed, lazy, easy option taking SELF!

Try to start each day afresh, don't beat yourself up about yesterday. The only day you can change right now is today. Banish those negative thoughts you're having about yourself, they will drag you down!

« Reply #2207 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:22:59 am »
I'm dreading tomorrow morning and the results of last weekend's celebrations Audax and getting to te tea rooms in Chipping Camden for the first time.  :-\

The caike was good and I felt that I needed the second lot.  :-[

Never mind today is a new day   :thumbsup:

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

essexian

« Reply #2208 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
Well, 1.8kg off is a start: not a stunning start but its better to lose weight than to put it on like I have been over the last 5 months!!!

I had an interesting conversation with my doctor on Monday. Firstly, the doctor was impressed that I had got injured cycling (got knocked off by another rider on Saturday and suffered a bruised knee) when most people my weight, to quote her: “don’t get off the sofa.”

Anyway, when discussing my need to lose weight, the doctor said that given my height (or lack of it!), my target weight should be around 70kg. However, the doctor said that such a weight would look stupid on me and that nearer to 90kg would be just fine. Yes, I would still be considered obese but with the level of fitness I have, my body could carry it.

So, that’s my target weight, eventually. There is no point trying to lose 35kg in a hurry as I will just get depressed when things don’t go well the odd week.

Chris S

« Reply #2209 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:26:56 am »
Big drop this week - nearly all due to being fully lurgied. Expecting it to bounce back up next week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2210 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:31:20 am »
Ian, I've dropped 2kg (1.8kg since last weigh in) this year, and I'm very pleased with that!  1.8kg is a flying start. :D
Getting there...

« Reply #2211 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:38:48 am »
I felt really odd bonk-like symptoms yesterday evening, not sure I ate enough.

I ate porridge & fruit puree for breakfast, an average-sized portion of leftover homemade macaroni cheese for lunch, a satsuma and two squares of dark chocolate midafternoon. Plus several cups of green tea and a roobois tea with 1 sugar, and a couple of glasses of water. I had cycled to work, all of 2.5 flat miles (albeit on a heavy bike). Come 5pm, I was feeling really tired, and had the beginnings of hunger, but a spin class was booked so I cycled to the gym (only 2 miles) where I did the class, still feeling hungry. I felt really rubbish in the spinning class, like I had no energy or enthusiasm whatsoever – usually I am fine once I get going but not this time. I drank a bottle of water with a nuun tablet during the class and took the class really easy.

After the class the hunger had disappeared and been replaced by a weird floaty/not really here feeling. I got showered and changed as quickly as I could but felt like everything had slowed down and even struggled a bit with getting my socks on. I phoned Rob and asked him to get the dinner on, then cycled home (just under 4 miles). Got home and immediately raided the fridge for a yoghurt and oatcakes despite the fact that dinner was forthcoming. Then ate big plate of dinner (fish, steamed veg, potatoes) plus a bag of sugary popcorn and had a cup of sugary tea. After all that I felt much better and had more energy than I had all day.

I should have eaten another snack before I got to the floaty point, right? Like a banana or something. Stupid.

Chris S

« Reply #2212 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:42:40 am »
I should have eaten another snack before I got to the floaty point, right? Like a banana or something. Stupid.

Yes. HTH :)

« Reply #2213 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:47:23 am »

Yes. HTH :)

It does help, I’m trying to get a hold on the snacking, and worry that I’m merely thinking up ways of justifying the snacks to myself! But it seems an extra snack on spinning days is required.

Chris S

« Reply #2214 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:55:42 am »
A proper bonk, where you start to malfunction mentally is a scary point. I remember a rider on LEL 2009 who'd ridden non-stop from London (except for card stamping) to Coxwold (411km) to make maximum use of the tailwind, and he was so bonked we (a) had to position someone behind him to catch him as his eyes were rolling back in his head as he stood waiting for me to stamp his card, and (b) had to feed him as he no longer had the cognitive ability to even do that.

The brain can only function on glucose. If your body loses the ability to keep the supply of glucose going, you start to feel faint, wobbly and no longer "with it".

Sugary snacks are OK under those circumstances because your body will immediately utilise the food - not store it.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2215 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:56:23 am »
I'm dreading tomorrow morning and the results of last weekend's celebrations and too much chocolate this evening (I blame work for the latter).  :-\

Good news / bad news

Bad news: my old (mechanical) scales reads -2kg compared with my new (digital) scales, which means I'm heavier than I thought.

Good news: only put on a fraction of a kilogram in the last week.

I'm not thrilled with my starting position, but feel confident in shifting a good bit of the holiday weight by the end of January.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2216 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
5 weeks of exercise that hasn't been much fun and a great deal of what feels like deprivation, and this week I gain more than 2kg.
Admittedly I did have a (half a loaf of bread with butter and jam sized) blip on Saturday, but even so.

Not happy.
I think we can safely say that the WW points thing is not working for me, this time.

On MyFitnessPal with the rest of you.
And quite pissed off, to be honest. Shit times, and I didn't wallow in chocolate, and I still get shit results on the scales.
Losing weight for me appears to be harder when I'm active and 43 than when I'm not and 35.
I'm really rather feeling that Life is Not Fair at the moment.

« Reply #2217 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:05:46 am »
Drop of 1.3kg
Very happy with that. I'd given myself December off, and whilst i'd not gone daft, i had had a few treats.
Back on the diet now, starting to pick up the exercise again. I was expecting to be around the same, or just under.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2218 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:13:52 am »
I have a beautiful set of digital scales which give a variety of readings.

This morning, post evacuation, my weight ranged between 116.3kg and 117.9 in the space of about 2 minutes. In the end I decided to see if I could get the scales to give the same figure three times in a row and it did eventually, at 116.7kg, so that's what I used for today's entry.

That's 3.3kg (allegedly) lost since the end of last year, which fits in roughly with Hellymedic's description. Since Woolly & Peli have left us, the evening snacking has stopped and if I can maintain a habit of evenings free of food, then I will lose a lot of weight quite quickly. In the past, I've managed to get down to 103kg using that simple dieting technique but after that it's going to get a lot harder.

Yesterday evening I disappointed the lady at our choir practices who bakes cakes just for the tea break. I made do with a cup of coffee and that was that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2219 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:24:00 am »

I refer you to the similar experience I had not so long ago...
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg1089168#msg1089168

You need to listen to what your body is telling you. Sometimes, that means allowing yourself to pig out a bit.

Admittedly I did have a (half a loaf of bread with butter and jam sized) blip on Saturday, but even so.

If it's just a blip, that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. If you're being honest with yourself, you can see exactly where you've gone wrong, which should make it easier to rectify. Not a lot easier, granted - knowing and doing are different matters altogether - but at least you're not deluding yourself into thinking you're not having any blips.

Thing is, occasional blips aren't a big deal. As long as blips is all they are.

One of my biggest weaknesses is cheese. I'll happily slice a piece of cheese off the block to nibble on any time I'm passing the fridge. But being scrupulously honest and recording every last nibble helps to see how these individually insignificant blips add up to quite a significant number of extra calories overall. I've got to the point now where I at least think twice before opening the fridge, though I do still succumb every now and then.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2220 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:29:39 am »
Well 1.5kg since the start of the year, which isn't bad. I was worrying a bit when I decided to eat rather more of the stew I cooked last night than I was supposed to, but it doesn't seem to have had too much effect.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2221 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:34:19 am »
And quite pissed off, to be honest. Shit times, and I didn't wallow in chocolate, and I still get shit results on the scales.

Go have a poo, they weigh your self again. It'll be a bit less shit, and you'll get better results!

Good to see you on MFP. There is a bike group on there that's worth joining if you think strangers cheering you on helps (I do- they are a very supportive bunch). Still, if we get enough YACFers on there we can support each other. I reckon making your diary public is a big help. Definitely gives me a check when absentmindedly looking in the cupboard late at night.

There's me, you, Chris, Feline, Citoyen, Auntie Helen. Anyone else?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2222 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:53:21 am »
Back in September, I started weighing myself daily instead of weekly. Seems a bit obsessive, I know, but it was really just out of curiosity. What I noticed was that my weight fluctuates quite a lot - it can easily vary by +/-1kg or more from one day to the next. As has been pointed out before, this is quite normal.

So I started keeping a rolling seven-day average. All the figures are plugged into a simple excel spreadsheet and graphs generated based on the results. I also added a trendline to the graph to show my desired plan. What I found was that the averaging ironed out the peaks and troughs in the graph (obviously) and showed a more steady trend in my weight loss. Very reassuring.

DrM posted a link to the Quantified Self blog recently. There was a video on there posted by a woman who has done something similar, except she keeps a ten-day average, so clearly it's not just me who's become an obsessive geek about this subject.

Fboab and Chris S, given your large weekly variations, I wonder if you might find it helpful to do something similar?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2223 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:54:35 am »
Yesterday evening I disappointed the lady at our choir practices who bakes cakes just for the tea break. I made do with a cup of coffee and that was that.

I find simple rules, like "no food after x pm" are really helpful in avoiding the mindless snacking that I fall in to. Current rules are

No alcohol in January
No chocolate in January
No crisps in January
No ice cream until after my first 200km of the year (mid Feb)
No snacks at work

jimbhoy

« Reply #2224 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:00:53 am »

Go have a poo, they weigh your self again. It'll be a bit less shit, and you'll get better results!

Good to see you on MFP. There is a bike group on there that's worth joining if you think strangers cheering you on helps (I do- they are a very supportive bunch). Still, if we get enough YACFers on there we can support each other. I reckon making your diary public is a big help. Definitely gives me a check when absentmindedly looking in the cupboard late at night.

There's me, you, Chris, Feline, Citoyen, Auntie Helen. Anyone else?

Me, Glasgowjim  :thumbsup:, but where's the group to join ? I've signed up as just over 2 years ago i was 12 st 10, quit smoking and put on 2 stone  :facepalm: now need to get back to at least 13 and bit stone.