Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300622 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2250 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:21:46 pm »
Lunch time now. There is still some increasingly ripe Christmas Stilton to get rid of. I am the only one in this hose to eat it.

I may be some time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2251 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
Fortunately, they are Krispy Kremes, so I know they are completely inedible :D

Diabetes in a box!  :thumbsup:

d.

No, diabetes doesn't work like that.

p.s. I tried Krispy Kremes once, they are disgusting. :(
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2252 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »
Managed to get over it, and ate a cereal bar I found in my bag instead. :-\
Can you get some apples or satsumas at lunch time so you've got something to pick at?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2253 on: 16 January, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »
Having prided myself on Steady Weight but No Exercise, (I had not weighed myself last year at all) it appears I have gained 10lb.
I am going to have to Be Sensible.
There are still three uneaten Chocolate Oranges from Christmas. At the rate we attack them, I don't think they are the cause of the problem.
Looks like I'll be a Diet Bore too...

« Reply #2254 on: 16 January, 2012, 03:21:29 pm »
Apparently Paul McKenna hypnotises you (or rather teaches you to hypnotise yourself) into associating chocolate with turd.

That’s just bloody joyless that is.

Mid-morning isn’t my problem, because my mum brought me up to believe eating chocolate before midday was some kind of mortal sin. Mid-afternoon is though. And evenings.

I’m not going to pretend it’s quite as fun as gaily scoffing vast amounts of lovely choc, but mid-afternoon I’ve kind of got into the habit of eating a square or two of Sainsburys Taste the Difference swiss dark chocolate with orange (70% cocoa) instead of stuffing a whole bar of cheaper chocolate. It’s quite nice, but the slight bitterness stops my usual piggery and a bar of that can easily outlast the working week.

I wish I didn't like Krispy Kremes! Thankfully no one in this office buys them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2255 on: 16 January, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »
I've never tried a Krispy Creme. The name alone would put me off.

There's a place in Lpoo St that sells them. When Mrs. Wow and I were passing through a few months ago, two constables were in there, presumably on their morning break. By the look of them, they went there every day.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2256 on: 16 January, 2012, 06:35:26 pm »
well I have been super-good all year so far, not once going over my daily calorie allowance for a 1lb per week loss, and in fact most days having 400+ calories spare (I've been doing 20+ miles on the bike per day to facilitate this).

Today I drove 130 miles to work, sat in the office as soon as I got there doing 5 hours of boring data entry, and am now sitting in a B&B about to go for a walk to find some food.

No riding today or tomorrow, thus no chance of staying within my calorie allowance, so I shall enjoy myself having a day or two off. I think I probably deserve it!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2257 on: 16 January, 2012, 09:17:39 pm »
I've never tried a Krispy Creme. The name alone would put me off.

There's a place in Lpoo St that sells them. When Mrs. Wow and I were passing through a few months ago, two constables were in there, presumably on their morning break. By the look of them, they went there every day.

Krispy Kreme.  The Ks are important, like in Krusty the Klown.
Getting there...

« Reply #2258 on: 17 January, 2012, 10:30:04 am »
Could be worse

« Reply #2259 on: 17 January, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »
We have LOTS of treats at work - to the extent of having a 'treats table' - if anyone does any fieldwork abroad they bring back local treats to share...

Since coming back to work this year I have refrained from partaking of any naughty snacks at work, and only now am I realising just how much I was snacking! :o

I'm now actually getting hunrgy between meals whereas before my grazing on snacks was keeping me far more topped up... and just over halfway through Jan it's beginning to feel slightly less of a battle to not eat the naughty snacks - hurrah!  :)

Remember - slim-ness awaits!

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2260 on: 18 January, 2012, 05:56:01 am »
Hurrah for weight loss!  Was worried that a combination of weakness at lunch time (been trying to skip lunch and failing) and a very late dinner last night would not have a good result.  Really do need to push myself these next few weeks as mid-Feb sees me off the bike and eating lots of hearty meals for a week and a half (on a holiday, of sorts).  I'd really like to hit that week closer to my target rather than start weight.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #2261 on: 18 January, 2012, 08:29:39 am »
Lost 1.4kg this week making 3.2kilos since the start of the year.

Pleased with that as I have managed to exercise only once this week (in the gym... otherwise known as my garage) as my knee is still playing up and too painful to cycle on. I will give it until the end of the week and if its still not working properly, head off to the doctors.....glup.

I was wondering if I was brave enough to go swimming: used to swim a lot in the 1980's. Its the idea of getting my kit off (I'll leave some shorts on!) in public as to be honest, I don't look good without clothes on. My local baths have an over 50's session on Thursday lunchtimes (a nice 6 mile ride each way too when I am bike fit) so I might try that first.

Oh...got a business lunch today. Worried??? Me????

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2262 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:09:57 am »
Essexian - who gives a stuff about how you look at the pool.  It's PE, you're not meant to look good while you're doing it.  Just feel better and be a bit healthier as a result of having done it!  And just think how good for the core it is, as you suck the belly in as much as you possibly can for the sprint from changing rooms to poolside!

Although I will point out that the "not giving a stuff about peoples' appearances in the pool" Defintiely Does Not extend to the bloke that used to lane swim at our local pool wearing a flesh-coloured thong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2263 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:54:29 am »
Essexian - who gives a stuff about how you look at the pool.  It's PE, you're not meant to look good while you're doing it.  Just feel better and be a bit healthier as a result of having done it!

+1

IME, it's gyms where you go if you want to show off how good you look in a leotard.

Although I will point out that the "not giving a stuff about peoples' appearances in the pool" Defintiely Does Not extend to the bloke that used to lane swim at our local pool wearing a flesh-coloured thong.

:sick:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2264 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:17:44 am »
I should get swimming again.  My upper body has always been utterly weedy, especially in comparison with my legs.  But I find breathing difficult in the water.  Might be easier now I'm getting lighter.  I don't know.  Worth thinking about, even if it is dispiriting not being able to complete a length.

Yes, I did take swimming lessons at the age of 27 :-[
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2265 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
Worth thinking about, even if it is dispiriting not being able to complete a length.
So do a width.  Then another, then another... :)

Yes, I did take swimming lessons at the age of 27 :-[
34 for me.  I could already swim, and swam loads, but only breaststroke with, I discovered, atrocious technique.
First ever length of front crawl took about 6 weeks to crack.  And did my first ever length of full stroke butterfly a bit later.  When I was 6 months pregnant with Xander!  Swimming lessons were great.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2266 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:12:24 am »
Funnily enough, and for breathing reasons, although I was reasonably proficient at crawl, and swam a lot in the sea on holiday, I never mastered the breast stroke, so won precisely 0 swimming certificates at school.  Demotivated, moi? >:(

But when I went to University as a mature student, they had free swimming lessons, so I learned to do the breast stroke (a bit) before a move to Leeds and commuting meant I was unable to make the early lessons any longer.  My Tai Chi lessons were similarly curtailed.

I've not swum in a proper pool in years.  And most of the time when I have been swimming, I've had small kids to look after.  I'd be no good at going to a gym, as I can't get my head round going somewhere to do exercise rather than getting it out & about. ;D
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2267 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:16:53 am »

[/quote

was it Hummers of this parish ;D

Essexian has put an idea in my head.The local pool is only 4km away.I'll check out the bike security when I'm next in town;although I could walk that distance & exercise a different set of muscles.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2268 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:19:26 am »
Ian, I am sorry.  Wrapped up in thoughts of swimming, I forgot to congratulate you on your impressive 3.2kg loss.  I've been trying very hard, and managed to lose 2.8kg.  Don't think I have the strength of will to match what you're achieving :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #2269 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:22:29 am »
Really impressive losses from both of you. I've *never* lost weight that quickly :(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2270 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:23:42 am »
I'm suprised to have lost a whole kg since last week.That'll be that yacf North Brum ride of 70km on Saturday.I wonder if the loss would have been more if I hadn't scoffed two bags of crisps* when I got home :demon:

* crisps were my cigarette substitute when I stopped smoking & are largely responsible,together with vanilla slices,for a weight gain of 20kg in the 12 months after becoming a non-smoker.

Chris S

« Reply #2271 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:26:48 am »
* crisps were my cigarette substitute when I stopped smoking & are largely responsible,together with vanilla slices,for a weight gain of 20kg in the 12 months after becoming a non-smoker.

My nemesis when I quit smoking was M&Ms. At least one, sometimes two, large family bags a day. I went from 12st to 17st in very short order  :facepalm:.

But losing the weight was MUCH easier than losing the fags  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2272 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:29:38 am »
I feel so very lucky that I never became a smoker.  Doubly tough for those of you who did.  So kudos for overcoming it.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2273 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:35:34 am »
I found smoking much easier to ditch than I find losing weight - which why I'm an 18 stone ex-smoker.

I've lost 5kg since 1/1/12 - exactly 115kg this morning. I think it goes to show exactly how much I was stuffing my face in the run up to the new year: I was tending to match Woolly portion for portion while they were here, and boy can that guy eat! Add to that the surfeit of Jarlsberg - that is such a lovely cheese! At times I was actually making an effort to eat when I was already full.

I reckon a kg or possibly two of that weight loss is the fact that I'm running with a half-full tank all the time.

Now for the hard bit...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2274 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:38:10 am »
Wow, Wow!
Getting there...