Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300870 times)

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2300 on: 18 January, 2012, 08:50:03 pm »
Gained 1kg this week.
Apparently, it seems that cycling 100 miles/week is not enough to combat going to an 'all you can eat' chinese restaurant in Soho with a structured strategy to test the limits of the contract.
There may also have been some chip butties this week.

(there must be a way to have chip butties AND lose weight...wonders if marriage is strong enough to let me go audaxing...)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2301 on: 18 January, 2012, 09:25:37 pm »
Keep at it, Parsley.  It's just a fluctuation.  You know what's happened to cause it, so you know you can deal with it.  Looking forward to next week. :)
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2302 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
A big Chinese meal carries a significant sodium load as well as its calories. This sodium needs much water before it is excreted. A litre of water weighs a kilogram.
It is unusual to eat more than about  2000 kcal (<250g fat equivalent) in a single meal (unless you're teethgrinder).

Keep going and you WILL lose weight.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2303 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
TY for the good words Clarion. I'm fully aware of the reasons for the gain. I'm not dissuaded at all.  I'll just have to be a little more careful for the next couple of weeks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2304 on: 18 January, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
Same here.  I'm being careful and I'm getting the miles in to buy more calories to eat! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2305 on: 18 January, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »
Ham (et al.)

I just love the German word for your situation: Kummerspeck  :thumbsup:

Perfect.

Ich bin eine kummerspeck

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2306 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:33:12 am »
Ich bin auch ein Kummerspeck!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2307 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:38:31 am »
a small, .2kg, gain. not really what i'd hoped for, but previous experience was that these things lurch along sometimes, so will not start to panic just yet.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2308 on: 19 January, 2012, 08:47:33 am »
your weight can vary by .2kg or more during the course of the day depending on activity & food/water consumption.

I try to weigh myself at the same time of day on a Wednesday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2309 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:38:52 am »
A fluctuation of +/-0.2kg from one weigh-in to the next is meaningless. You need to look at the trend over a longer period.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2310 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:45:37 am »
your weight can vary by .2kg 2kg or more during the course of the day depending on activity & food/water consumption.

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2311 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:49:30 am »
I weigh myself on a Wednesday morning, before breakfast, though after I've been to the toilet.  I place the machine on the same tile every time to minimise variation, and usually take the measurement twice to confirm.

It's never an exact science, but reducing the variables is a good idea.
Getting there...

« Reply #2312 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:07:19 am »
sorry, do appreciate that it's just a nominal change of no consequence, but i'd been expecting to dropp a fair bit. should of made that more clear.
as i said, just going to to keep on keeping on & see what next week brings.

having said that, two bags of chilli choc cookies / chunky choc shortbread are in the office on the next desk. there's 2 of us + 1 visitor here today. pray for me, i am weak...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2313 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:15:53 am »

as i said, just going to to keep on keeping on & see what next week brings.

yes,be  8)

« Reply #2314 on: 19 January, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
I think the consequences of 'good weeks' and 'bad weeks' take about 10 days to show up, unless you are just starting, so it can be very demoralising if you've tried hard or falsely give the impression that you've 'got away with it' if you've gone off course.  :-\
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2315 on: 19 January, 2012, 02:22:43 pm »
your weight can vary by .2kg 2kg or more during the course of the day depending on activity & food/water consumption.

When I was a bored Medical Student, I weighed myself on Accurate Hospital Scales before and after a Big Leak.
I lost 850g in 5 minutes...

« Reply #2316 on: 19 January, 2012, 06:24:07 pm »
Variations due to different times of the female cycle can also make a mahoosive difference. There is always one week of the month where I am 1-2kg heavier than the others. This is sometimes followed by a dramatic drop in weight afterwards. Fluid retention  >:(

« Reply #2317 on: 19 January, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »
One more for MFP.  It looks a really useful tool, and I find it easy and interesting to record such things in an app - at the moment I use Drinkaware to keep an eye on the grog and  mycyclinglog as a cycling diary.  I've accepted the default of one pound per week which seems sensible.  At the moment I'm 11st 9 and would like to be nearer to 11st. I've grown man breasts over the last year or so - not very nice  :-[

« Reply #2318 on: 20 January, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »
Added you on MFP

« Reply #2319 on: 20 January, 2012, 07:32:57 pm »
One more for MFP.  It looks a really useful tool, and I find it easy and interesting to record such things in an app - at the moment I use Drinkaware to keep an eye on the grog and  mycyclinglog as a cycling diary.  I've accepted the default of one pound per week which seems sensible.  At the moment I'm 11st 9 and would like to be nearer to 11st. I've grown man breasts over the last year or so - not very nice  :-[

+1
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2320 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:12:17 pm »
Ok, it's that time again :(
I feel like a bloated walrus and I want to murder someone for no reason whilst simultaneously eating choklit.
I spent the entire afternoon wanting to put to sleep my epileptic dog who has had 2 fits since 2am, and rehome my daft Cockapoo who refused to come on his walk this evening because I had shouted at him for jumping up with shit on his feet. He has diarrhoea at the moment caused by eating some of the tinned food I am using to disguise epileptic dog's tablets in. I am trying to convince myself to do nothing and re-evaluate the situation in a few days time.

« Reply #2321 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »
A belgian bun (Gregg's finest) is 420 kcal.

Worth every one.

Nom.

I'll be riding this weekend for enough that as long as I don't eat jelly babies over the whole route it should be OK.

And Feline- you know it'll all be different in 48 hours..

« Reply #2322 on: 20 January, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »
Ah, happy memories of wrestling a shit-covered Cam into the bath after she had a 'dietary indiscretion' and spread it all over the flat  :facepalm: She wore a muzzle for some time after that to stop her eating any more rubbish.

Anyhow. I have been so hungry the last few days and I have no idea why. And I had another weird lightheaded moment during spinning this evening, and had to eat some emergency snackage after. And I'd been snacking all afternoon.

« Reply #2323 on: 21 January, 2012, 09:14:12 am »
Hurray!

The not snacking on naughty stuff, ignoring the 'treats table' at work, trying to eat more healthily more generally, and in more moderation, oh,  and a bit of cycling, appears to be working

Down from 74.5kg to 72kg ;D and I've not been able to ride to the station as much as I'd hoped thanks to having to collect sprogs from after school meetings and attend parents' evenings, meaning I've had to drive rather than ride a couple of times. Overall, a positive start and I'm starting to feel like someone who can resist naughty snacks rather than it being an enormous effort the whole time.

:thumbsup:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #2324 on: 21 January, 2012, 09:43:36 am »
... and I'm starting to feel like someone who can resist naughty snacks rather than it being an enormous effort the whole time.

:thumbsup:

It's great when that happens  :thumbsup:
We had a pile of cakes and other naughties at work yesterday and I managed to resist, even though I'm bored out of my skull there at the moment.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."