Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300703 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2325 on: 21 January, 2012, 06:20:15 pm »
Bad day today as I am over my target on MFP,  but had to get the paperwork done, and reduce the piles a bit.

Never mind off to the Cotswolds walking tomorrow.  That will shift some calories.

Geoff

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2326 on: 21 January, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »
Bad day today as I am over my target on MFP,  but had to get the paperwork done, and reduce the piles a bit.

Never mind off to the Cotswolds walking tomorrow.  That will shift some calories.

Geoff

I wish sometimes I could spread my calorie input and output over 2 days not 1, to enable me to pig out the day before I do a lot of exercise and not go over the limit!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2327 on: 21 January, 2012, 06:28:25 pm »

Geoff

I wish sometimes I could spread my calorie input and output over 2 days not 1, to enable me to pig out the day before I do a lot of exercise and not go over the limit!

Pigging out before exercise could help build some nice glycogen stores, enabling more calories to burn the next day. You would have to be stricter on your exercise day though...

« Reply #2328 on: 21 January, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

Geoff

Pigging out before exercise could help build some nice glycogen stores, enabling more calories to burn the next day. You would have to be stricter on your exercise day though...

It often works out that way anyway, since if I'm riding the bike all day I have limited chances to snack, and then I CBA to cook much to eat afterwards!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2329 on: 21 January, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »

Geoff

It often works out that way anyway, since if I'm riding the bike all day I have limited chances to snack, and then I CBA to cook much to eat afterwards!

That's fine until The Vorax1 emerges midweek. Please not to eat your mother or children.

1) The animal whose voracious appetite knows no bounds...

« Reply #2330 on: 21 January, 2012, 07:37:08 pm »

Geoff

That's fine until The Vorax1 emerges midweek. Please not to eat your mother or children.

1) The animal whose voracious appetite knows no bounds...

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2331 on: 22 January, 2012, 06:59:18 am »

Geoff

I did that on the Poor Student, but did not eat enough at the first control, and by the second one it was to late, even though I pigged a bit in Chipping Camden, I was still short of energy for the last leg.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2332 on: 22 January, 2012, 11:25:33 am »
Spinning evenings are also quite good because going to one, showering after, and cycling home take up a lot of potential snacking time. Also, if I keep my heart rate down in the 'fat burning' zone, I don't get the 'Vorax' effect days later either. But I don't always manage that.

Went to a birthday party last night. I think I was ever so good; I had two vodka, lime and sodas and thereafter just fizzy water. I also ignored the table of fried foodstuffs apart from one solitary prawn cracker (I'd cooked us a proper dinner beforehand). We did cycle to and from the party which gave a further incentive to keep the alcohol levels down as well as a small handful of extra calories burned (it was only 2 miles each way!).

I have another birthday party today though, more strength needed.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2333 on: 25 January, 2012, 08:57:05 am »
The downward trend continues.It encourages the continued abstinence of biscuits , ice creams & other snack-crap combined with smaller portions at meal times.
I've re-learned that drinking water can combat hunger pains.
I'm also eating more fruit.

« Reply #2334 on: 25 January, 2012, 08:58:35 am »
The downward trend continues.It encourages the continued abstinence of biscuits , ice creams & other snack-crap combined with smaller portions at meal times.
I've re-learned that drinking water can combat hunger pains.
I'm also eating more fruit.
That sounds good jogler! I'm following a similar plan :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jimbhoy

« Reply #2335 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:17:51 am »
Same also applies to me  :thumbsup: by giving the biscuits/chocolate and crisps a miss it has helped me continue the small loss per week plan.

« Reply #2336 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:30:28 am »
No booze, choc, or ice cream. Min of 2 litres of water per day and ludicrous quantities of oats is my recipe.

Despite running at a minimum of 1200kcal deficit, I continue to lose .5kg a week. At least my running legs are coming back.

essexian

« Reply #2337 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:32:35 am »
No weight loss for me this week, which given that I lost 7lb in the first two weeks, isn't unexpected really.

Will try harder this week, although with weight loss, you can not starve yourself or things go wrong.

Managed to stay away from the chip shop for 28 days now..... its been hard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2338 on: 25 January, 2012, 09:52:43 am »
Only 400 grammes this week. As I mentioned last week, this is where it starts to get tough. The easy bit is cutting out the evening snacks. Deciding to stop eating at meal times when I'm still hungry is the bit I really hate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2339 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
Still sat at 15st here, been around that mark for weeks. Though that is an overall loss of 2.5st since July, more would go if I stopped snacking crap and drinking at the weekends  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2340 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:40:12 am »
Linear progress since new year, pretty much.  No chocolate, or crisps or fried breakfasts.  A few biscuits :-[

But I'm wary of going too far under my target each day in case I blow it by getting fatigued.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2341 on: 25 January, 2012, 10:44:58 am »
Well not a good week for me this week, up 400g :( Spending the whole week off the bike and two days in hotels (and not overcoming the lure of the biscuit tin a couple times)with work didn't help.

Oh well, time to get back onto the plan, and I'm off to buy some better food scales to get my portions sizes back under control. Since my digital ones died a couple weeks back and I stopped measuring things the weight loss has been noticable by its absence, so I think I now know my main problem.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2342 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:06:30 am »
I'm still finding it relatively easy and have lost 4kg since the beginning of January (haven't weighed myself for a week so here's hoping there's some more lost as well). However, the only reason I am succeeding is that I am, without fail, cycling 20 miles per day to earn myself 700-800 calories, plus walking the dog (good for another 100). I can't exist on just 1660 calories a day, but with the extra that I earn I am managing to finish each day with a reasonable calorie deficit (usually 400-500) which seems to be working. This is a deficit over the amount MyFitnessPal says I should eat to lose 1lb a week, which is I think a 500 calorie deficit over 'remain the same'.

What's been fascinating to me is realising HOW MUCH I was eating during the day in the run-up to Christmas. Not portion sizes particularly (they are still huge - I like my spuds and veg) but biscuits, nuts, other nibbles. I reckon I was taking on board at least 1000 calories per day in nibbles. And having lots of cake.

Thank God for bicycles!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2343 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

« Reply #2344 on: 25 January, 2012, 11:54:45 am »
Well I put on weight this week despite having 1000 uneaten calories on MFP some days. But this is my 'fat week' of the month always so I look forward to seeing it disappear over the next few days.

« Reply #2345 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:00:46 pm »
heading down again this week. Not by much, but that was the plan.
Also have tidied up my double posts in the thread as requested Feline.
Sorry Miss....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2346 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:01:09 pm »
Oh bloody hell!  There's a huuuge tube of jaffa cakes in the kitchen! *wibble*
Getting there...

« Reply #2347 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »
heading down again this week. Not by much, but that was the plan.
Also have tidied up my double posts in the thread as requested Feline.
Sorry Miss....

Didn't mean to tell anyone off, was just concerned the thread would be mahoosive by the end of December! :D

simonp

« Reply #2348 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »
It's traditional at work to buy donuts / cakes etc on your birthday. My birthday is on Saturday this year and I'm on holiday Friday and Monday.

I might buy 40 donuts. That will teach 'em.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2349 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »
I was highly fatigued last week, due to overdoing my calorie deficit, which meant that I only went to the gym once :facepalm:

This week I have been to the gym once and am going again today, though I have been over eating. D'oh! I expect about another week or so of fettling my diet + exercise + sleep regime to get it sorted to something I can sustain.

Something that is really bugging me at the moment is my (unusual) inability to wake up early enough to go the to the gym before work. I blame my body getting used to exercise again, hopefully it will sort itself out asap.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart