Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300867 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2350 on: 25 January, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »
heading down again this week. Not by much, but that was the plan.
Also have tidied up my double posts in the thread as requested Feline.
Sorry Miss....

Didn't mean to tell anyone off, was just concerned the thread would be mahoosive by the end of December! :D

I know. I'm just a bit slow sometimes....

It made perfect sense once you'd said it.

There is poo in Jaffa Cakes
« Reply #2351 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
Oh bloody hell!  There's a huuuge tube of jaffa cakes in the kitchen! *wibble*

There is apparently a hypnosis technique that works by associating snack foods with the aroma of faeces. The behaviour change technique that I do my research on relies on automatic associations, so could work to induce a pop "popup". If you want to try it, it would work like this.

Say aloud "IF I see a jaffa cake, THEN I will smell poo"
Then visualise the Jaffa cake in the kitchen, and then imagine poo (go overboard and really try to get a rich image of it in your mind, perhaps focusing on the aroma).

That's it. It should make thoughts and smells of poo come into mind when you see Jaffa cakes, which should put you off eating them.

I have heard that they do actually put poo in Jaffa Cakes too.
Not really, just trying to be helpful

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2352 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »
I've just managed to have a fairly healthy lunch in there without touching another jaffa cake :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Re: jaffa cakes smell of doggy poo
« Reply #2353 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »
Just doing my bit

I wonder how long before this appears in google hits on jaffa cakes?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
Jaffa poop
« Reply #2354 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »
Don't you mean 'Google shits on Jaffa Cacks'? ;D
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: There is poo in Jaffa Cakes
« Reply #2355 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

That's it. It should make thoughts and smells of poo come into mind when you see Jaffa cakes, which should put you off eating them.

It shouldn't be difficult given that Jaffa cakes are crap,the food of Satan.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2356 on: 25 January, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
I've never understood the attraction of jaffa cakes either. Poor quality cake, lousy imitation of marmalade... can't comment on the chocolate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2357 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
I’m not sure I want to lose the joy I get from eating jaffa cakes by thinking about poo, though! I buy the ‘pods’ of 6 mini jaffa cakes. Opening another pod is like a psychological barrier, so I’m less likely to overdose on them than if I’d bought a packet of full-sized ones. I tend to allow myself one of these pods a day.

Of course, this is both more expensive and contains more packaging, which also irritates me. Really shouldn’t be so pathetic. And I’m not banning myself together, because that way lies obsessing about them before finally cracking and buying all the jaffa cakes I can lay my hands on and then Rob will come home and find me with semi-comatose with jaffa cake all round my mouth not unlike the lapsed nun in the ‘Lent’ episode of Father Ted….

« Reply #2358 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »
Of course, this is both more expensive and contains more packaging, which also irritates me. Really shouldn’t be so pathetic. And I’m not banning myself together, because that way lies obsessing about them before finally cracking and buying all the jaffa cakes I can lay my hands on and then Rob will come home and find me with semi-comatose with jaffa cake all round my mouth not unlike the lapsed nun in the ‘Lent’ episode of Father Ted….

Of course, having made the association above, your vignette is now prompting deeply unsettling images. I won't be eating Jaffa Cakes for a while.

« Reply #2359 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
Good. I'll have your share.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2360 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »
ANy suggestins for someone who has been desensitised to the smell of poo? I spent 4 years working in waste water labs, I've got to the stage where the smell of faeces isn't particularly repulsive.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2361 on: 25 January, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »
ANy suggestins for someone who has been desensitised to the smell of poo?

How about the smell of the Linden tree in full bloom ?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2362 on: 25 January, 2012, 03:00:07 pm »
What sort of cakes do they eat in Jaffa?  Will they have Jaffa cakes in Jaffa ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2363 on: 25 January, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »
Yafo (Jaffa) is the old name for Tel-Aviv (officially Tel Aviv-Yafo). All manner of cakes are made and eaten there. I believe Osem molish Jaffa cakes nearby...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2364 on: 25 January, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »
Aye, but jaffa cakes ain't made there:

McVitie's brand products are now manufactured in five United Kingdom factories: the two former McVitie & Price factories in Harlesden and Manchester, a former Macfarlane, Lang & Co. factory named Victoria Biscuit Works in Glasgow, a former Carr's factory named The Biscuit Works established 1831 in Carlisle, and the McVitie’s Cake Co. factory (formerly Riley's Toffee Works) in Halifax.

Not sure which factory produces them, though.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2365 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »
I like Jaffa Cakes, although I take Wowbagger's point - judged objectively, they're a cheap industrial food product, not a genuine gourmet treat. Reminding myself of this fact is the only way I can resist the temptation.

We had a box of Krispy Kremes delivered to the office earlier. I had an orange instead.  O:-)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2366 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:04:25 pm »
Was that a fruit orange or a chocolate one though? :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2367 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:21:59 pm »
Was that a fruit orange or a chocolate one though? :)

Damn, rumbled...  ;D

Actually, srsly, it was a fruit. M&S are offering two bags for £3 at the moment, so I'm well stocked up with vitamin C. According to my calculations, I'd have to finish at least a whole bag (five fruits) to equal the calories in one Krispy Kreme donut.

Not that oranges are entirely a healthy option, given how much sugar they have in them.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jimbhoy

« Reply #2368 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »

McVitie's brand products are now manufactured in five United Kingdom factories: the two former McVitie & Price factories in Harlesden and Manchester, a former Macfarlane, Lang & Co. factory named Victoria Biscuit Works in Glasgow, a former Carr's factory named The Biscuit Works established 1831 in Carlisle, and the McVitie’s Cake Co. factory (formerly Riley's Toffee Works) in Halifax.

The one my missus works in here in Glasgow, is it any wonder that i'm on MFP trying to lose weight, from time to time she'll bring home a massive sized bag of biscuits which she can buy for pennies from the factory shop. In my defence though, i don't like Jaffa's, it's those little marshmallow teacake things with the jam in them, i could eat... :hand:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2369 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:49:13 pm »
Oh crikey, that's unfair temptation. :-\
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2370 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:51:09 pm »
, i don't like Jaffa's, it's those little marshmallow teacake things with the jam in them, i could eat... :hand:

same here

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2371 on: 25 January, 2012, 04:53:37 pm »
it's those little marshmallow teacake things with the jam in them, i could eat... :hand:

IIRC in Germany those are called 'Super Dickmann'  ;D

simonp

« Reply #2372 on: 25 January, 2012, 05:12:59 pm »
Don't forget that you can eat dust.

LEE

« Reply #2373 on: 25 January, 2012, 05:53:35 pm »

I used to cycle past McVities's factory on my way to/from college (it's in prime "Royal Family" territory (Caroline Aherne/Craig Cash, not Elizabeth Windsor)). 

The smell was sublime, especially on a cold winter evening.

I'm sure I smelled Jaffa Cakes but it's a long time ago.

Since I am on a diet right now all I can think of is dunking a whole packet of them in a lovely cuppa (they just soak up that hot tea don't they?).

Please stop discussing cakes on this thread.

« Reply #2374 on: 25 January, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »
My walk across town usually only passes shops that sell things I don't want-clothes, electicals, perfumes.
Today I had to get milk & potatoes. Not only did this entail walking past the pizza shop and chip shop, open and wafting, but down the aisles where biscuits and chocolates await.
I keep a snack for on the bus as I'm often hungry but the thought of an apple was not enough to keep me away from the fridge.
I don't even really like scotch eggs... I must have been craving protein. Maybe.