Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300882 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2400 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:27:34 am »
if for a certain heart rate i burn x amount of calories per hour when running, would i burn the same calories at the same heart rate when cycling?

Chris S

« Reply #2401 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
if for a certain heart rate i burn x amount of calories per hour when running, would i burn the same calories at the same heart rate when cycling?

I don't think so, no.

I'm pretty well adapted to cycling now. I can tap away at 23/25kph for hours on end at a HR of about 140. I burn about 400 kcals an hour doing this.

I'm a shit runner. At 10kph (yes, really - hardly more than a walk) my HR is about 140, but I reckon I'm burning about 600/700 kcals an hour.

It's about efficiency - and that's what training adaptation helps you to get.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2402 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:36:31 am »

Yes, in broad terms.
Rowers and others who use much upper body power (as well as leg power) may use more calories for a given HR.

Chris S

« Reply #2403 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:38:52 am »

Yes, in broad terms.
Rowers and others who use much upper body power (as well as leg power) may use more calories for a given HR.

;D

Well. Hope you're the wiser now, zigzag.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2404 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:42:03 am »
Grr... up 1kg without having done remotely enough exercise to claim that it comes from muscle growth. I was very well hydrated when I weighed in, but had just urinated so can't claim any advantage from a full bladder.

Had a good sesh in the gym though, put in 20mins 'hill climb' on the treadmill at 9km/h which felt good. I could have run for longer, but I was a little short on time and wanted to get a full range of weights in.

Good news! I can already feel my shoulder moving more freely, yet feeling more secure. I'm not sure I will ever reach the stage where I will be happy to raise that arm above my head without controlling the range of movement with a machine, but it is good progress. Some of the constant dull ache is abating too, which is rather lovely.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2405 on: 26 January, 2012, 11:07:10 am »
Signed up for an RPM (spinning) class at the gym at work. Hopefully that might get a few more calories off.

Oh, and I was chatting to one of the new trainers at work - she's very sporty - is doing Tough Mudder in May, and has been encouraging me to incorporate Tabata intervals into my commute (f*ck that). She has this pithy phrase.

‘you can exercise ‘till the cow’s come home, but if you don’t eat right you’ll always be a cow coming home"

simonp

« Reply #2406 on: 28 January, 2012, 03:25:04 am »
The graphs are back.

Some users have broken the system by replying to their own posts to update rather than editing the original post as indicated in the instructions. The graph programme is finding multiple posts for such users and makes no attempt to prevent multiple instances of each user appearing. The additional posts clutter the recording thread as well, so if you have done this, please remove the reply posts and edit the original post to add new weights.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2407 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:06:18 am »
Thanks Simon :)
Getting there...

« Reply #2408 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:14:47 am »
Thanks Simon :)

Thank you

Now I can see how well I am not doing ;)

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2409 on: 28 January, 2012, 10:01:17 am »
Thank you - excellent work, I come top of something !!!!!

:(

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2410 on: 28 January, 2012, 10:46:08 am »
Thanks Simon. Top man!

« Reply #2411 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:36:57 pm »
You are a star

simonp

« Reply #2412 on: 28 January, 2012, 11:37:36 pm »
Now the graphs examine both the 2011 and 2012 threads and show the last 26 weeks. No escaping the Christmas bulge now. :)

« Reply #2413 on: 29 January, 2012, 03:02:39 pm »
Now the graphs examine both the 2011 and 2012 threads and show the last 26 weeks. No escaping the Christmas bulge now. :)

:o

« Reply #2414 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:25:21 pm »
Woo hoo - I pigged the most. Check my slope!

simonp

« Reply #2415 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »
Now with anti-aliasing. I had to make my own gnuplot wrapper and upgrade gnuplot to 4.4.4 to be able to use the pngcairo terminal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2416 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:07:30 pm »
Mmm.  I'm sure that's a good thing if you say it is. ;D

Meanwhile, I'm struggling with oral steroid and keeping the eating sensible.  I managed the weekend without indulging in too much of the cake on offer, but back in the office with the usual stress, it's getting tough. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2417 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »
There is poo in the cake!

Off out for a run at lunch. It is bloody freezing. Just stood outside for 5 mins waiting for the runkeeper app to get a signal. No joy. Come back in to warm up and will head out with my trust garmin in a mo'.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2418 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
No cake at work.  But a shop across the road. 

Steroids get you several ways round.  Firstly, they should be taken with food, and that isn't usually at normal mealtimes, so it adds a couple of snacks on (I ignore this these days - the evidence is taking the whole dose in one is nearly as effective).

Secondly, it stimulates your hunger.  So you want more food. :-\

Thirdly, it depresses your mood, which, for a lot of people means resorting to food.

Fourthly, if you're taking oral steroid, it usually means that you're not doing as much exercise as normal (I'm a cussed bugger for this one where cycling is concerned), so what you do eat is more likely to turn to fat, which, if you're on them for any length of time, means you get depressed about your weight, exacerbated by the enforced snacking and lowered mood anyway, so..... :-\

It's a very very tough cycle to break.  I don't like oral steroids - they got me overweight in the first place when I was on them pretty much 50% of the time during my teenage years (when they play havoc with your hormonal development too, btw, which doesn't help mood/snacking etc), but they are bloody effective in clearing up asthma.
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #2419 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »
Mmm.  I'm sure that's a good thing if you say it is. ;D

It is a good thing because it makes the rendering of the graphs much clearer. I've also improved the colour and symbol selections. The improvement is best seen on the full resolution plots if you click on any specific graph.

« Reply #2420 on: 30 January, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »
It's a very very tough cycle to break.  I don't like oral steroids - they got me overweight in the first place when I was on them pretty much 50% of the time during my teenage years (when they play havoc with your hormonal development too, btw, which doesn't help mood/snacking etc), but they are bloody effective in clearing up asthma.

Do you know much about inhaled steriods? I'm on 400mg a day of beclometasone dipropionate. My GP tried to cut it to 200mg (without telling me!) and I started having night attacks. I mean to stick to doing the powerbreathe resistance trainer, but it's pretty hard work, and it's time consuming. It doesn't fit with my routine, and I've not figured out a new routine yet. If inhaled steroids are bad, maybe I'll do some thinking about a fix.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2421 on: 30 January, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »
Not wishing to play steroid top trumps, I already inhale 1mg of fluticasone propionate (Flixotide) daily, as well as other medications.  Not recommended to go higher.  And I think you'll be talking mcg rather than mg of beclometasone. ;)

Oral steroids is my second line escalation for asthma, unless there's significant infection, in which case, it's hit it with a stack of broad spectrum antibiotics ;D

My asthma is really quite severe (even when well-managed), but I try not to let it get in the way.  Sometimes, it will :(
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #2422 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
More graph fettling done.  I’ve fixed the split graphs (where they are split into two graphs covering half the users to avoid over-cluttering) to correctly split the graphs based on users who have updated in the last 26 weeks and I’ve updated the BMI graph to have coloured zones corresponding to the standard ranges.

If you add your height by putting height=NNNcm or height=NN.Nm you will see your BMI plotted.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2423 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »
Looking good simon. I wont pretend that I understand a word of what you did. But its much more readable.

Can more people add their height please. I'm feeling all exposed as the sole fatty on the BMI graph. I'm positive I havent joined a forum full of 8ft basketballers.

simonp

« Reply #2424 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »
That should be N.NNm of course. :)