Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300458 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2625 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »
I've determined I have a seriously unhealthy snacking problem when there's bread in the flat (or anything else that I can eat without having to prepare it too much).

Cheese on toast last night.  After I had closed my diary so was not counted in MFP.

and while my BMI is now down to 26.9  I was certainly up in the high 30's several years ago.  There is no short term solution, but just keep plugging away, and do the exercise.  It all helps.

Geoff

You can still edit a completed diary entry if you missed something.
I know but it was after a couple of hours sleep and then woke up and could not go back to sleep.  I could not then be bothered to fire up the computer.  So in my heart I was over on the calories, but MFP was on my side and below target.

Geoff

I wouldn't beat yourself up over a single midnight feast situation. Just don't do it every night!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2626 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »
I might have lost a little weight.
I weigh 74kg in clothes and shoes. I weighed 74kg starkers a few weeks ago.
I will have to forego my Jaffa Cakes, croissants and snacking for many more months as I can't exercise.
I am aiming for a BMI of 24, which means there's about a stone to go...

« Reply #2627 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
I will have to forego my Jaffa Cakes, croissants and snacking for many more months as I can't exercise.

This must take extreme willpower, you have my admiration Helly!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2628 on: 17 February, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »

This must take extreme willpower, you have my admiration Helly!

:) :)

Yebbut I admire your slender physique. I don't aspire to that as I lack the willpower and haven't had so low a BMI since I was a teenager.

« Reply #2629 on: 17 February, 2012, 08:04:29 pm »
Also better this week.  Despite the cakes brought by a friend over the weekend which he refused to take away with him, the curry on Sunday evening, and the M&S eat in for £20 Valentine's meal last night.

S

I noticed that Tesco's two dine for £10 offer was £15 during the Valentine's week despite the meal choices being the same. Did M&S also go for a similar cheeky price hike?
I think the two for £20 includes a little more than the two for £10.  The wine may be a better choice. We got a bottle of pink Cava and a small box of chocolates (which had nine chocolates in--how is that supposed to be romantic?)

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2630 on: 17 February, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »
Also better this week.  Despite the cakes brought by a friend over the weekend which he refused to take away with him, the curry on Sunday evening, and the M&S eat in for £20 Valentine's meal last night.

S

I noticed that Tesco's two dine for £10 offer was £15 during the Valentine's week despite the meal choices being the same. Did M&S also go for a similar cheeky price hike?
I think the two for £20 includes a little more than the two for £10.  The wine may be a better choice. We got a bottle of pink Cava and a small box of chocolates (which had nine chocolates in--how is that supposed to be romantic?)

S

Ah ok, that doesn't sound as cheeky as Tesco. Nine chocolates though, what were they thinking?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2631 on: 17 February, 2012, 11:21:51 pm »

S

S

Ah ok, that doesn't sound as cheeky as Tesco. Nine chocolates though, what were they thinking?

Three each?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2632 on: 18 February, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »
Not the right day, of course, but my latest scales glitch was 112.2kg. I'll be perfectly happy if I can repeat or beat that on Wednesday.

In the past few days my scales' vagaries seem to have reduced somewhat. At bed-time I'm almost always below 116kg now, and mostly below 115. I still don't think its time to reduce my intake further, as things are heading in the right direction still. I'd really like to be below 108kg by the end of March, so that I can spend the next three month to my June target losing 8kg. We have two holidays between 1st April and 11th June, so I will have to be especially careful with the full Scottish breakfasts.

« Reply #2633 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:23:18 pm »
I've determined I have a seriously unhealthy snacking problem when there's bread in the flat (or anything else that I can eat without having to prepare it too much).

Cheese on toast last night.  After I had closed my diary so was not counted in MFP.

and while my BMI is now down to 26.9  I was certainly up in the high 30's several years ago.  There is no short term solution, but just keep plugging away, and do the exercise.  It all helps.

Geoff

You can still edit a completed diary entry if you missed something.
I know but it was after a couple of hours sleep and then woke up and could not go back to sleep.  I could not then be bothered to fire up the computer.  So in my heart I was over on the calories, but MFP was on my side and below target.

Geoff

I wouldn't beat yourself up over a single midnight feast situation. Just don't do it every night!
First time in several years so not  a problem   ;)

When i wake in the night I normally just listen to the radio on headphones.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #2634 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »
I'd like to join in too. I do have a 'normal' BMI (23ish I think) but I definitely do have some to lose so I can come in here right?

I am/was an endurance runner. I've been injured just over a year, and have been cycling instead. I was smaller as a runner, and definitely had smaller thighs haha. I have finally had my injury diagnosed (nodular fascitiis- tumours in my foot that need surgery, on waiting list) but I will be a cyclist all this year and have entered the Mille Alba. I'd like to be lighter to get up the hills better, and I feel better about myself lighter, plus when I get back to running I don't want to make it any harder than it will already be!

I've got a bit down about my weight as since stopping running its been very hard to keep it down. I am determined to try and lose some of what has gone on to me. I'd like to lose just over half a stone, maybe about 10lbs. I find it very hard though- I comfort eat and definitely eat too many snacks as well as big meals. I probably eat about 2500 calories a day, and I don't need that many. I want to drop to about 2000 and see if I can lose weight on that. I've just found MFP so that will help.

If its ok I might ramble on about what I've stuffed in my gob on here, and see if people have any suggestions about what I could change?

One issue I do have is that my partner cooks for me in the evening (I am very lucky) but its quite big portions and I don't have much control over what we have, I never want to appear ungrateful and I'm totally rubbish at stopping when full and seem unable to leave anything on my plate. A habit I need to break.

I have started doing several classes at the gym like body pump, pilates, body balance and not sure how many calories they burn, body pump must burn a fair few but maybe I should just leave those as extra and not log them. They also totally overestimate cycling. I weight 9 stone 4- any ideas how many cals an hour cycling might burn? I reckon maybe 350 riding generally and 300 at audax pace?

« Reply #2635 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »
One issue I do have is that my partner cooks for me in the evening (I am very lucky) but its quite big portions and I don't have much control over what we have, I never want to appear ungrateful and I'm totally rubbish at stopping when full and seem unable to leave anything on my plate. A habit I need to break.

What about talking to him and making it very clear you are grateful but want to eat less? Maybe he could dish you up a smaller portion and the rest into a tupperware for lunch the next day (assuming you normally have a similar sized lunch anyway).

That way he can still cook what/how much he likes but you still get some portion control.

« Reply #2636 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
I have tried. He just says I'm being stupid and I'm fine as I am. But I'm really not happy with the weight I've put on. I then always vow to leave some but I find it almost impossible.

I try and have a small lunch as I have snacks in the day. Usually in 2 parts- a salad at about 12 Ish and a Covent garden soup thing about 1.30-2 as I find they are v filling for not many calories :)

« Reply #2637 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »
I don't know then. I'd guess you tried "but I'm not happy" but if he won't listen.

Ok, purely to help you out I will come and steal half your dinner  O:-)

« Reply #2638 on: 18 February, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »
Replace your plates and bowls with smaller ones.

trixie

« Reply #2639 on: 19 February, 2012, 09:33:41 am »
I completely agree, this is just what we do.  My husband enjoys shopping/cooking - for which I'm very grateful.  He is much taller than me at 6'2" and so has a large plate with equally large portions whilst I have a smaller plate with smaller portions.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2640 on: 19 February, 2012, 01:07:15 pm »
Rode 20ish miles with fboab and Chris S yesterday.

Today I am 2kg lighter. Magic!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2641 on: 19 February, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »

Did they surgically remove part of you and eat it?   :o

« Reply #2642 on: 19 February, 2012, 04:09:24 pm »

Our pleasure!

(now, if you could return the favour next time... )

Chris S

« Reply #2643 on: 19 February, 2012, 04:10:56 pm »

Did they surgically remove part of you and eat it?   :o

We talked a lot about weight loss when we were riding. Then we ate a hyyeeeeooooge lunch.

I'm guessing the talking was more than enough to offset the lunch.

I managed to ride 92km and put on 2Kg. Must have been the beer with the lunch  ::-).

« Reply #2644 on: 19 February, 2012, 04:17:20 pm »
I have started doing several classes at the gym like body pump, pilates, body balance and not sure how many calories they burn, body pump must burn a fair few but maybe I should just leave those as extra and not log them. They also totally overestimate cycling. I weight 9 stone 4- any ideas how many cals an hour cycling might burn? I reckon maybe 350 riding generally and 300 at audax pace?
I count 500/hr whatever. I reckon it evens out. 500/hr gives me enough to keep riding on without being the ridiculous amounts the websites suggest.
I suppose if lost a lot I might have to drop that a bit though  :-\

simonp

« Reply #2645 on: 19 February, 2012, 04:52:50 pm »
At my typical audax pace my best estimate is about 500-600/hr. I'm about 11 stone. Website numbers are about 750/hr but they are including some effort I can't measure on the power tap so I'm happy to use their numbers.

« Reply #2646 on: 19 February, 2012, 07:08:07 pm »
Hmmm ok will try that and see where it gets me :)

70 mile Sportive today, I dont do many sportives but there wasn't much around to do today. God it was really tough the hills were ridiculous. 7000ft climbing in the 70 miles but it felt like more.

3 toast and peanut butter for brekky with a lucozade sport, 2 bananas and small clif bar in morning, soup and roll after ride plus a bit of the free flapjack, apple this afternoon and chilli with rice tonight, a shape yoghurt and 2 thorntons Chocs left over from valentines. Oh and some energy drink on ride. I reckon 2700 calories for the day. Does that sound somewhere near right? Ride time was 5.05

« Reply #2647 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:40:58 am »
Down to 81 yesterday. Which is exactly the same as the week before but I have a feeling a I may have been dehydrated the week before.

First run yesterday for a while, knee held up well which surprised me. That run yesterday put me well within my calorie limit for the day. Today I'm on track to be well within my calories for the day (planned meals ahead) and I'm left with 850 for the evening meal which I should be under.

Tomorrow another run planned which means I can eat a little more.

« Reply #2648 on: 20 February, 2012, 09:59:46 am »
Got up early this morning for me (5.10)

50 min cycle to gym opposite work. 90 mins on spin bike including a 45 min spin class so 37 miles done before work.

Have a 45 min spin class at lunchtime and then a 50 min cycle home, so I should get nearly 4 hours of cycling in today.

So far I've had a coffee when I got up, and since I got to work a big bowl of porridge made with water with a banana, half a scoop of toffee protein (makes it takes lovely) and some strawberries in it. And another coffee.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2649 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:16:50 am »
Blimey. Good work.  :thumbsup:

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."